• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

S Fowler ‘not sure Young will ever work out’

lead story on online version of Observer

He also pointed our defense too and Canales’ play calls 

this story wad the lead  on the online versin

Panthers get humiliated in season opener. And I’m not sure Bryce Young will ever work out.

BY SCOTT FOWLER

[email protected]

‘On Bryce Young’s very first pass of the 2024 season, he threw an interception.

In the second half, Young improved. 

It took him until his second pass to throw an interception.

After a full offseason, with a vibrant young play caller installed as his head coach and several additional offensive weapons to work with, Young looked exactly the same in the beginning of his second season as he did at the end of his first.

Overwhelmed. Undersized. Out of his element.’

But at the forefront of all this pain inflicted on another black-and-blue Sunday for Carolina was Young, the former Heisman Trophy winner at Alabama who plays the game’s most important position. And although I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, I just don’t know if it’s ever going to work out for him in Charlotte. 

The Panthers will give it every chance, of course, because they’ve invested the No. 1 selection of the 2023 NFL Draft and so much else in Young. They have earmarked him as the guy from the very first game of his NFL career, making him the starter and a team captain and entrusting much of their future to him. And he’s only 23. There’s that. And he looked good in training camp and in his one drive of the preseason. There’s that, too.

But wishing Young was the guy and him actually turning into the guy are two very different things.

I’d love to be proven wrong, because it’s not a lot of fun to cover a losing team every single year. But all we saw Sunday was the Panthers threatening numerous team records for futility with this 37-point opening-day loss, which not only took the bloom off the rose, but also took the rose itself and threw it into a wood chipper.

The quarterback numbers: Young was 13 for 30 for 161 yards, with no touchdown passes and two interceptions. He was sacked four times. His QB rating was 32.8.

The entire game was comical. It was infuriating. It was both believable and unbelievable — believable that the Panthers would lose again, because they went an NFL-worst 2-15 a year ago and haven’t made the playoffs since 2017. This was the 100th game of David Tepper’s tenure as the owner of the Panthers, and the team is 32-68 and has never had a winning record since the billionaire bought it. 

But it was also unbelievable that the Panthers would be down 30-0 in the second quarter to a Saints team that is, most likely, mediocre.

HE ENDS WITH THIS 

And it was Young who owned it afterward. 

“Any time that the ball is in peril, and obviously it’s a turnover, that’s on me,” Young said. The quarterback took full responsibility for both his interceptions, which is what Young always does, because he’s a very nice young man and I’ve never heard anyone say a bad word about his conduct off the field.

But on the field? 

Man, he just doesn’t make enough plays. 

Young hesitated when guys were open Sunday or threw it to them when they weren’t. He got aggressive when he should have been careful and got careful when he should have been aggressive. Even his one touchdown — his first NFL rushing touchdown in his career — almost got negated, as Young crossed the goal line and fumbled almost simultaneously on a fourth-down scramble. Fortunately, Young broke the plane just before getting the ball knocked out.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

lead story on online version of Observer

He also pointed our defense too and Canales’ play calls 

this story wad the lead  on the online versin

Panthers get humiliated in season opener. And I’m not sure Bryce Young will ever work out.

BY SCOTT FOWLER

[email protected]

‘On Bryce Young’s very first pass of the 2024 season, he threw an interception.

In the second half, Young improved. 

It took him until his second pass to throw an interception.

After a full offseason, with a vibrant young play caller installed as his head coach and several additional offensive weapons to work with, Young looked exactly the same in the beginning of his second season as he did at the end of his first.

Overwhelmed. Undersized. Out of his element.’

But at the forefront of all this pain inflicted on another black-and-blue Sunday for Carolina was Young, the former Heisman Trophy winner at Alabama who plays the game’s most important position. And although I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, I just don’t know if it’s ever going to work out for him in Charlotte. 

The Panthers will give it every chance, of course, because they’ve invested the No. 1 selection of the 2023 NFL Draft and so much else in Young. They have earmarked him as the guy from the very first game of his NFL career, making him the starter and a team captain and entrusting much of their future to him. And he’s only 23. There’s that. And he looked good in training camp and in his one drive of the preseason. There’s that, too.

But wishing Young was the guy and him actually turning into the guy are two very different things.

I’d love to be proven wrong, because it’s not a lot of fun to cover a losing team every single year. But all we saw Sunday was the Panthers threatening numerous team records for futility with this 37-point opening-day loss, which not only took the bloom off the rose, but also took the rose itself and threw it into a wood chipper.

The quarterback numbers: Young was 13 for 30 for 161 yards, with no touchdown passes and two interceptions. He was sacked four times. His QB rating was 32.8.

The entire game was comical. It was infuriating. It was both believable and unbelievable — believable that the Panthers would lose again, because they went an NFL-worst 2-15 a year ago and haven’t made the playoffs since 2017. This was the 100th game of David Tepper’s tenure as the owner of the Panthers, and the team is 32-68 and has never had a winning record since the billionaire bought it. 

But it was also unbelievable that the Panthers would be down 30-0 in the second quarter to a Saints team that is, most likely, mediocre.

HE ENDS WITH THIS 

And it was Young who owned it afterward. 

“Any time that the ball is in peril, and obviously it’s a turnover, that’s on me,” Young said. The quarterback took full responsibility for both his interceptions, which is what Young always does, because he’s a very nice young man and I’ve never heard anyone say a bad word about his conduct off the field.

But on the field? 

Man, he just doesn’t make enough plays. 

Young hesitated when guys were open Sunday or threw it to them when they weren’t. He got aggressive when he should have been careful and got careful when he should have been aggressive. Even his one touchdown — his first NFL rushing touchdown in his career — almost got negated, as Young crossed the goal line and fumbled almost simultaneously on a fourth-down scramble. Fortunately, Young broke the plane just before getting the ball knocked out.

Scott is the same dude who said Bryce was the future for the Panthers after the 1 drive performance vs Bills last week Overreaction 

• Flames 3

Bryce is a perfect example of a QB who was surrounded by elite talent in college and he fooled the world into thinking he was the #1 pick.

That video from training camp this year will always stick out to me. I didn't say anything at the time because I was trying to be positive. He had on a red shirt with his backpack. It legit looked like someone's kid who was walking alone for the 1st day of school.

This kid just isn't cut to be a NFL QB.

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

Just now, raleigh-panther said:

The point us, much in the media gave hom a pass for last year, not any longer

They  were trying to be fair 

You and i knew, and know, better

For Canales, lipstick in a pig

I don’t even blame Canales. I blame a crap QB, but MOST IMPORTANTLY a poo owner. Everything has turned to poo since he acquired the team.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2