• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Everyone should have seen the disaster around Bryce coming

t96

9 hours ago, TD alt said:

Like I said, they may not want to pay for them, but prolific RBs are still valued. Detroit drafted Gibbs, the 49ers paid CMC. Philadelphia just paid Barkley. Baltimore just acquired one of the better backs in league history. Dallas would've drafted Brooks high had it not been for the ACL tear. There is no substitute for a great back. You can try to do things on the cheap, and might get away with it if you have a prolific QB, but great RBs are still valued. Teams just don't want to pay for them for fear of them getting injured. That's why you draft them if given the opportunity. Otherwise you have to pay for them later on.

Did the 49ers ability to rush the ball look degraded with a guy that was undrafted in 2022?

Again, SMART teams don't spend that kind of capital on RB's. 

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Did the 49ers ability to rush the ball look degraded with a guy that was undrafted in 2022?

Again, SMART teams don't spend that kind of capital on RB's. 

They used the hell out of Mason, more than any player that Shanahan has used ever. His productivity was great, but keep in mind that Shanahan was going against his pupil, and knew all of Sala's weaknesses. 

The 49ers are a smart team, and they in fact DID spend that "kind of capital" on McCaffrey. 

Come on, man, suggesting that any RB is the same as another one and that smart teams don't invest in RBs is kinda simplistic. McCaffrey is still their most talented player, and teams game-plan for him for a reason.

We're just going to disagree on this one.

Some things are pretty constant in the face of cyclic changes. 

Having a strong balanced offense is still key. I'd prefer to do it with a great front. NFL average backs can produce what you need in that scenario. 

In a way it is similar to having a great arm throwing the ball vs a more small ball type passer, you aren't going to get the same home run threat with the average guy. 

• Beer 1

30 minutes ago, TD alt said:

They used the hell out of Mason, more than any player that Shanahan has used ever. His productivity was great, but keep in mind that Shanahan was going against his pupil, and knew all of Sala's weaknesses. 

The 49ers are a smart team, and they in fact DID spend that "kind of capital" on McCaffrey. 

Come on, man, suggesting that any RB is the same as another one and that smart teams don't invest in RBs is kinda simplistic. McCaffrey is still their most talented player, and teams game-plan for him for a reason.

We're just going to disagree on this one.

Agree to disagree. I have done many deep dives into this from a statistical and success standpoint and its not a POV I am going to change. The league is essentially acting similarly to the results I found.

I am just flabbergasted we made two more massive RB mistakes after we made the last one(CMC extension).

11 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

He fooled me. Sometimes the tape can lie. The taped lied for Bryce. He was surrounded by elite talent. It's like Purdy being in the MVP conversation well look at his roster!

You live and learn. I was wrong on Bryce.

Same here.  Now if only the team would admit it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

17 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

He fooled me. Sometimes the tape can lie. The taped lied for Bryce. He was surrounded by elite talent. It's like Purdy being in the MVP conversation well look at his roster!

I preferred Stroud but when it became obvious Bryce was the pick, I started coming around and made myself happy with either. I really thought if he could avoid getting hurt that he’d be just fine. WHOO boy, could not have been wrong. Sunday was Zach Wilson esque 

• Pie 4

22 hours ago, Shotgun said:

My heart sank when his name was called on draft night.

I was screaming NO!!! PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!! Just begging the universe to not let it be true. I had no doubt. Maybe 1% doubt. 

Worst day ever as a Panthers fan probably. At least when we lost the SBs we got there. Just about every failure was at the end of some kind of success. 

Or only involved one season.

The 2023 draft ushered in an era of darkness that would swallow the earth lol. 

39 minutes ago, Coheed said:

I preferred Stroud but when it became obvious Bryce was the pick, I started coming around and made myself happy with either. I really thought if he could avoid getting hurt that he’d be just fine. WHOO boy, could not have been wrong. Sunday was Zach Wilson esque 

This is compelling me to hurt my eyes watching Wilson to see if you are in the ballpark. Maybe not... 

I honestly cannot imagine anybody being worse that what we saw on Sunday. If he was twice as good, he would still be looking up at real NFL QBs. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Let me ask, because I know you are a college 'nut' and scout the QBs in the process.

Did you look close at the Pro Day tape? Took me 5 minutes to see it. And I don't watch college ball hardly at all. And am no way claiming to be any kind of authority, it just was easy to see because it was there. Couldn't not see it when I started looking closely. 

It was sort of like the amateur astronomers find uranus lol. 

Edited by strato

9 minutes ago, strato said:

Let me ask, because I know you are a college 'nut' and scout the QBs in the process.

Did you look close at the Pro Day tape? Took me 5 minutes to see it. And I don't watch college ball hardly at all. And am no way claiming to be any kind of authority, it just was easy to see because it was there. Couldn't not see it when I started looking closely. 

It was sort of like the amateur astronomers find uranus lol. 

No I didn't look at his pro day. I was looking at his film at Alabama. He always seemed to make a play when his team needed it. I thought he had the "It Factor" despite his size. He was also pretty accurate on that film.

If I had to guess I would say he just didn't adjust to the speed of the NFL. It's a different level than college. He seems a step slow physically and mentally. The size doesn't help either.

• Pie 2

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

No I didn't look at his pro day. I was looking at his film at Alabama. He always seemed to make a play when his team needed it. I thought he had the "It Factor" despite his size. He was also pretty accurate on that film.

If I had to guess I would say he just didn't adjust to the speed of the NFL. It's a different level than college. He seems a step slow physically and mentally. The size doesn't help either.

Yeah I had the pro day arm/mechanics issue, but everything else factored too. My biggest thing was his ball velocity. Coming from a subpar arm exacerbated by inefficient passing mechanics which would cost split seconds on both ends of the play*.

The time to load up was extra, and the velocity being less than ideal, robbing fractions on the other end. It adds up and the defenders in today's NFL are so much faster than in college. 

Maybe take a look at his pro day and see if you see it. For fun.

*We saw in 7 on 7s this year than with proper mechanics he can deliver a better ball, but those mechanics went out the window when the bullets started flying, which is entirely predictable if you have ever followed an athlete that had to re-learn their process.

I used Tiger Woods for my model or example because that got a lot of publicity. Changed his swing and went through hell because of it for a long time. I don't think he ever got back to his top form. The instinct to revert to the way you had success, when the pressure gets to working on you, is a hell of a thing to overcome. 

7 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

QBs not named Brady or Mahomes need a talented roster. I'm not going to ding Purdy for having talent. That's crazee.

47 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

1st game into the season.  You guys don't ever disappoint.  

That is fair. But how many worse ones do you see? And we had a bad one last year that carried over. Could be more of the same, good odds of it. So, optimistic, pessimistic, realistic? What it is...