• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notebook: With Ravens as a warning, Panthers' tackles prepare for emphasis on illegal formation

I wonder why this emphasis is happening now. Were OTs taking advantage of it a lot before? With all the rules' changes to protect the QB this seems to contradict that mentality. I'm okay with it but it seems strange to me. I'd prefer more focus on holding calls being more consistent honestly. They tend to have much more influence over games' outcomes usually. Perhaps that's why it isn't?

2 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I wonder why this emphasis is happening now. Were OTs taking advantage of it a lot before? With all the rules' changes to protect the QB this seems to contradict that mentality. I'm okay with it but it seems strange to me. I'd prefer more focus on holding calls being more consistent honestly. They tend to have much more influence over games' outcomes usually. Perhaps that's why it isn't?

Probably because KC's RT was lining up at H-back all season long last year.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Probably because KC's RT was lining up at H-back all season long last year.

Another example is David Bakhtiari - he was the first player I remember taking advantage of it, then it started to become a thing across the league

Taylor does take it to another level though.  He lines (or did, anyway) so far back. 

• Pie 2

It’s definitely a bad look that they chose to make an example by enforcing this on a team playing against one of the worst and most blatant offenders. But who are we kidding, the NFL has been allowing officials to rig games through uneven enforcement of rules for years and nobody cares as long as the media darlings like Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning benefit.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, Mage said:

Another example is David Bakhtiari - he was the first player I remember taking advantage of it, then it started to become a thing across the league

Taylor does take it to another level though.  He lines (or did, anyway) so far back. 

This reminds me of when Richard Sherman said they used to hold WRs and TEs all the time because "they won't call holding every play".