• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton and Tuttle have contracts restructured - $10.7M added to cap space

Memphis

15 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Moton is good to great and worthy of being paid top 10 at his position, and he is being paid as the #8 highest paid RT on a yearly salary:

image.thumb.png.e893b9ad7b93d076497c7898da3570b3.png

He was #4 highest paid at time of signing, but that was also coming off his great 2020 season, he has been more than worth his contract thus far, we just suck so we've wasted having a good tackle in his prime under contract.

I would argue that Moton is the 2nd best tackle (left or right) we have ever had in our franchise's history behind only Gross, and 3rd/4th best OL overall behind Gross and Kalil, and on par with Wharton who was also underrated.

Moton isn't elite but he's better than just good and replacing him would create an unnecessary bigger hole than just paying him.

I think sewell has moved or the plan is to move to LT. That would explain his high number. Everyone else seems to be right.

The main issue with the contract is panthers have "re-done" it atleast twice and made that 30 million cap number, in truth Moton has helped the team each time including this recent 3rd one. Again, just awful cap management. 

Personally Ive never been a fan, you seemed to be the total opposite. I have never thought of him as top 3 or 5 or even 10. My personal beef is he never became the LT, even after many ties during TC. I remember one off-season Daryl Williams was coming off a ACL tear and Moton remained at RT. Then williams got chewed on for that whole year as LT. 

Im not the NFL super fan I was, so me saying theres 12-15 better RTs would not said with much confidence. I just dont know the league like I once did, so I could be wrong about thinking hes in the 10-16 range. Just going off past knowledge on RTs with using that list- Lane johnson has gotten popped twice for PEDs and had a bad injury or two. Taylor just signed that deal and KC had to overpay cause they lost LT Brown. Ram is on season ending IR but Id say hes had alittle better career-wise. Others not much there to rank them, i maybe short changing Moton upon reviewing. 

Edited by Basbear

21 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Holy smokes!  Look at Moton's cap number next season!!!!!

image.png.51b69d7d7d5d3abcda37cea3ba76328d.png

$36M for a RT is insane!  I know it will likely get reworked again, but in case it doesn't...wow!

The 2021 cap number is the one that is insane. 

Its not like we're paying him 36m next year.  We're paying him 85m over 5 years, which is pretty good for an above average T in his prime.

Just my opinion.

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

$36M for a RT is insane!  I know it will likely get reworked again, but in case it doesn't...wow!

He better perform.... which he usually does...but thats a boat load.

Edited by Johnstonny

50 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The other thing to consider will go up Probably $10-20M next February. OTC has it at a conservative $260M right now but it will likely be more like $270-275ish and we won't be dealing with the $50M in dead cap we're eating this year. 

33 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

The other thing to consider will go up Probably $10-20M next February. OTC has it at a conservative $260M right now but it will likely be more like $270-275ish and we won't be dealing with the $50M in dead cap we're eating this year. 

That is what is killing us.  Next year is almost zero in dead cap charges...for now.  Of course that will change.

17 hours ago, 45catfan said:

That is what is killing us.  Next year is almost zero in dead cap charges...for now.  Of course that will change.

Pretty sure that will change when more of the dummy years in other contracts Fitt put together hit. Thielen, Sanders, etc. had dummy years that might affect those dead cap numbers.

Not positive though.

Either way, Fitterer was the absolute worst.

• Pie 3

I think Moton is a safe bet for a front-loaded, mostly guaranteed 4-year extension beginning in 2025.  They have to get him down in the $25m range, and I think he would accept the security and longer term--who knows?  Agents gotta agent, but if you compare his stats to peers, he is not pro bowling-he is an above average RT. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think Moton is a safe bet for a front-loaded, mostly guaranteed 4-year extension beginning in 2025.  They have to get him down in the $25m range, and I think he would accept the security and longer term--who knows?  Agents gotta agent, but if you compare his stats to peers, he is not pro bowling-he is an above average RT. 

A shorter term front loaded deal would probably be best for the team.  Don't want to have to replace him, but I wouldn't want to extend him past ~34 years old.

• Pie 2

On 9/5/2024 at 1:09 PM, mrcompletely11 said:

Please explain how the cap is a joke in light of the past 24-48 hours?

It is a joke because teams can just restructure deals and free up cap space.  Plus the cap increases every year.  Dead money is what hurts teams.