• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton and Tuttle have contracts restructured - $10.7M added to cap space

Memphis

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i think he was/is too much of a head case. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39147312/panthers-hayden-hurst-speaks-family-concussion-recovery-post-traumatic-amnesia

The hit he took during the fourth quarter of a November 9 Thursday night loss to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field landed him in the NFL's concussion protocol the next day. He has no memory of anything up to four hours after the game and has had some short-term memory loss since, all a part of what an independent neurologist diagnosed as post-traumatic amnesia.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I am not saying his salary, thats irrelevant its the cap hit and dead money that got pushed, its now 35 and 22 that is what matters to the team and roster construction.  He is guaranteed to be here in 2025 whereas before yesterday he could have been cut with minimal cap hit

I mean I think it's a moot point because I don't think the Panthers were ever planning to cut him. He's a solid RT, has never missed a game, and they clearly like him given they've restructured his contract every single year since signing him to the extension. I think more likely than not they sign him to a something like a 3-year extension after the season so he's on a 4-year deal and replace his 2025 cap figure with something more manageable. 

But let's say they do want to cut him after the season. While yes, the cap savings aren't as much as they could've been, they can still save $13m on the cap (vs. $18m pre-restructure I believe). So really, it was a no brainer move to get into cap compliance.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I mean I think it's a moot point because I don't think the Panthers were ever planning to cut him. He's a solid RT, has never missed a game, and they clearly like him given they've restructured his contract every single year since signing him to the extension. I think more likely than not they sign him to a something like a 3-year extension after the season so he's on a 4-year deal and replace his 2025 cap figure with something more manageable. 

But let's say they do want to cut him after the season. While yes, the cap savings aren't as much as they could've been, they can still save $13m on the cap (vs. $18m pre-restructure I believe). So really, it was a no brainer move to get into cap compliance.

The contract they gave him had to be restructured or extended.  They pushed so much of the cap hit towards the end that it forces the hand of the front office in the last couple years.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I dont think they were going to cut him, but keeping status quo gave them an option, now not so much.  I just think it was telling that they waited until the day before the season started to do this out of necessity 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

thats an expensive head case then

supposedly the issue was they wanted him to take a pay cut. he said no so they released him. he had a 3 year $21.75 mil contract and he just wasn't worth that. we overpaid. 

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

The Hurst and Sanders deals seemed terrible from the get go and lo and behold, they were. Hoping the deals made this offseason pan out much better.

I would shy away from big contracts for skill position FAs. There are usually too many variables involved. Oline and Dline is where I'd put FA dollars. Those positions are usually pretty cut and dry. Beat the man in front of you, and do it consistently. If you can do that, then we can work with you. 

• Beer 2

52 minutes ago, rayzor said:

supposedly the issue was they wanted him to take a pay cut. he said no so they released him. he had a 3 year $21.75 mil contract and he just wasn't worth that. we overpaid. 

If someone offered me 21 million dollars to do my job, I wouldn't take a pay cut either haha

• Beer 1

Teams don't seem to get in trouble for overpaying players as long as these players are good players.  Instead, teams get in big trouble when they overpay for poor talent or overpay a guy that quits trying after his big payday.  

The cap is a joke these days and especially for teams with a QB on a rookie contract.  

7 minutes ago, jtm said:

Teams don't seem to get in trouble for overpaying players as long as these players are good players.  Instead, teams get in big trouble when they overpay for poor talent or overpay a guy that quits trying after his big payday.  

The cap is a joke these days and especially for teams with a QB on a rookie contract.  

Please explain how the cap is a joke in light of the past 24-48 hours?