• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton and Tuttle have contracts restructured - $10.7M added to cap space

Memphis

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I doubt he gets $35m and walks.  We will spread that $35m over the next 3-4 seasons, keeping his salary around $30m, is my guess. 

Alright so I finally looked at it.  Seems we pushed everything to next year and bumping his salary for 2025 t0 35.  Previously we could have cut him and saved 18mil but now thats not the case.   So this sortof looks like 2 things.  Moton is def here for at least 2 more seasons albeit very expensive but it is what it is.  And exactly like you say this gives the panthers options to either bite the entire bullet next year and simply walk away clean or rework it for 2,3, maybe 4 years.  The 35 is tough but it means we can avoid trying to replace him in the short term. 

I just wonder why it was so imperative to free up 10mil right now?  Were we that tight on the cap as of yesterday?

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Alright so I finally looked at it.  Seems we pushed everything to next year and bumping his salary for 2025 t0 35.  Previously we could have cut him and saved 18mil but now thats not the case.   So this sortof looks like 2 things.  Moton is def here for at least 2 more seasons albeit very expensive but it is what it is.  And exactly like you say this gives the panthers options to either bite the entire bullet next year and simply walk away clean or rework it for 2,3, maybe 4 years.  The 35 is tough but it means we can avoid trying to replace him in the short term. 

I just wonder why it was so imperative to free up 10mil right now?  Were we that tight on the cap as of yesterday?

We had to shed 8 by yesterday. We restructured a couple to shed around 2, but were still 6 over. I think they did 10 to leave some wiggle room as the season starts. Just a complete guess though. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We had to shed 8 by yesterday. We restructured a couple to shed around 2, but were still 6 over. I think they did 10 to leave some wiggle room as the season starts. Just a complete guess though. 

damn i totally missed that, then I guess moton was the biggest card we could play then.  How in the holy fug did we get 8 over a day before the season started? 

39 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

damn i totally missed that, then I guess moton was the biggest card we could play then.  How in the holy fug did we get 8 over a day before the season started? 

By being stupid for years no matter who was in the FO.

38 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

All the waiver claims 

This was part of it as well. But I still think having people that shouldn't be in control of contracts and just being stupid played a much bigger role in being over the cap. Maybe the new cap guy has the right sort of trickery to get the team out of the cap hell they've been in for years.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

By being stupid for years no matter who was in the FO.

This was part of it as well. But I still think having people that shouldn't be in control of contracts and just being stupid played a much bigger role in being over the cap. Maybe the new cap guy has the right sort of trickery to get the team out of the cap hell they've been in for years.

Sounds like next year doesn’t look to bad with all the dead money. That will do wonders. Of course that can change quickly. I think the main reason is all of the staff turnover. We keep trying to redo a roster from Rhule to Reich to Canales. Hopefully Canales works out…

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The dead money from bad contracts and having to pay bums to fill out the 53 while numerous "starters" are still recovering from injury. Might as well include Miles Sanders almost $8m active cap hit as a liability as well lol. 

1628816071_ScreenShot2024-09-05at9_56_55AM.thumb.png.5a11f7f5206440b0334db4509db74258.png

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You're not interpreting this correctly - his salary for 2025 is not $35m; that is his cap figure, it's an accounting figure. Here's a simple way to explain why it's gotten to that figure. When Moton signed his deal off the franchise tag in 2020, it became a 5-year, $85m deal with a $15m signing bonus.

This is a simplified breakdown but still works for illustrative purposes, but that's $17m/year with $14m in base salary and $3m prorated signing bonus. Every year since Moton has signed that deal, the Panthers have restructured his contract to bring his $14m base salary down to the league minimum (typically ~$1m) and take the rest of the base salary (let's say ~$13m), convert that to a signing bonus, and prorate it over the remaining life of the deal.

Think of it like this, Moton cap figures at time of signing are $17m every year. Then in 2021 they restructure his contract and bring his 2021 salary down to $1m and prorate the other $14m in base salary over the remaining 4 years so they add $3.5m ($14m/4) to his cap figure every year that's left. His 2021-2025 cap figures become $20.5m. In 2022 they do the same, adding another $4.67m ($14m/3 years remaining) to his 2022-2025 cap figures bringing them to $25.2m etc. In all this time, Moton is not "earning more salary", he's earning the original amount on his contract, it's just being accounted for on the cap at the new figure because of the base salary proration.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think they like to have cap room to sign free agents if there are injuries--I dunno.  I know we were 4 million over--I understand Moton because he is steady and can play 4 more years pretty easily, but TUTTLE?  he did not have a good season last year, but we can hope for a better performance now, I suppose.  He is buddies with Brown, so maybe that will rub off.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, UNCrules2187 said:

You're not interpreting this correctly - his salary for 2025 is not $35m; that is his cap figure, it's an accounting figure. Here's a simple way to explain why it's gotten to that figure. When Moton signed his deal off the franchise tag in 2020, it became a 5-year, $85m deal with a $15m signing bonus.

This is a simplified breakdown but still works for illustrative purposes, but that's $17m/year with $14m in base salary and $3m prorated signing bonus. Every year since Moton has signed that deal, the Panthers have restructured his contract to bring his $14m base salary down to the league minimum (typically ~$1m) and take the rest of the base salary (let's say ~$13m), convert that to a signing bonus, and prorate it over the remaining life of the deal.

Think of it like this, Moton cap figures at time of signing are $17m every year. Then in 2021 they restructure his contract and bring his 2021 salary down to $1m and prorate the other $14m in base salary over the remaining 4 years so they add $3.5m ($14m/4) to his cap figure every year that's left. His 2021-2025 cap figures become $20.5m. In 2022 they do the same, adding another $4.67m ($14m/3 years remaining) to his 2022-2025 cap figures bringing them to $25.2m etc. In all this time, Moton is not "earning more salary", he's earning the original amount on his contract, it's just being accounted for on the cap at the new figure because of the base salary proration.

I am not saying his salary, thats irrelevant its the cap hit and dead money that got pushed, its now 35 and 22 that is what matters to the team and roster construction.  He is guaranteed to be here in 2025 whereas before yesterday he could have been cut with minimal cap hit

• Pie 1