• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton and Tuttle have contracts restructured - $10.7M added to cap space

Memphis

49 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

OTC is easier to read but it's not updated yet. Spotrac says for 2025 his dead money would be $22M, i'm assuming that we would save the other $13M by cutting him but yeah gotta wait for OTC to do their update

If you look at the players,  I think three are no longer on the team but instead of counting them as "dead" them kept them under players- Colbert and Shaq I forgot the other. 

I believe they will have around 30 million(++) in dead cap. 

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

If you look at the players,  I think three are no longer on the team but instead of counting them as "dead" them kept them under players- Colbert and Shaq I forgot the other. 

I believe they will have around 30 million(++) in dead cap. 

Ah if you go to 2026 they do now have $5M for Moton in one of those void year deals. So 2025 He's $35M and in 2026 $5M in void/dead cap to clear about $10M this year. 

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Ah if you go to 2026 they do now have $5M for Moton in one of those void year deals. So 2025 He's $35M and in 2026 $5M in void/dead cap to clear about $10M this year. 

Before today, I thought he had a good chance to be cut. 30-40 million for average-good RT is bad football, no matter the scale. 

Now no idea. I do know If cut all those void years hit at once. Dalton was the other one. So Colbert, Shaq, and Dalton will push the dead cap to 30ish million. 

I honestly see no end within the next 2-3 years, Moton contract is another 30 dead space whenever he's cut. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Before today, I thought he had a good chance to be cut. 30-40 million for average-good RT is bad football, no matter the scale. 

Now no idea. I do know If cut all those void years hit at once. Dalton was the other one. So Colbert, Shaq, and Dalton will push the dead cap to 30ish million. 

I honestly see no end within the next 2-3 years, Moton contract is another 30 dead space whenever he's cut. 

Looking at the 2025 year, Shaq/Corb/Dalton are already in orange counting against the cap. If cut I think the same amount would be technically transferred to dead money but won't increase the actual current cap hit as it's currently listed. Miles Sanders, Thielen, Wonnum, a couple others it looks like they'll be able to cut to save a decent amount

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If true then our cap is truly fuged.  Ill look in more detail tomorrow but I thought they would pay him the 30 this year and could take the 12 cap hit next year and save 18 million 

Now they are stuck paying 35mil next year?   Holy poo

They are not “paying him $35 mil next year”. This is all $ he was already making, just cap gymnastics to take the base salary in the years down and prorate over the remaining length of the contract. In other words he’s not making more $ from the original contract extension signed in 2020, they have just been taking his base salaries down to the vet min for a player of his years of experience each year and converting the rest to a signing bonus that gets prorated over the remaining years on the deal. 

Edited by UNCrules2187

Only way to get out of this hole quickly is having a few recent draft picks turn into decent starters on rookie deals. Fingers crossed  Dj Johnson, Trevin Wallace, Chau Smith Wade(nickel), Jatavion Sanders, Xavier Leggette, Jonathan Brooks, and our first 2 picks next year starting in 2025 and 2026 would go a long way to fix things.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

Only way to get out of this hole quickly is having a few recent draft picks turn into decent starters on rookie deals. Fingers crossed  Dj Johnson, Trevin Wallace, Chau Smith Wade(nickel), Jatavion Sanders, Xavier Leggette, Jonathan Brooks, and our first 2 picks next year starting in 2025 and 2026 would go a long way to fix things.

Yeah good luck w that. Edge and WR are really the only ones in that group that are expensive in FA. JT Sanders sure I hope he works out, you can't even pay for a good FA tight end nowadays, there's not enough of them to even hit free agency if they are worth top dollar by their drafted teams. 

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

Moton is good to great and worthy of being paid top 10 at his position, and he is being paid as the #8 highest paid RT on a yearly salary:

image.thumb.png.e893b9ad7b93d076497c7898da3570b3.png

He was #4 highest paid at time of signing, but that was also coming off his great 2020 season, he has been more than worth his contract thus far, we just suck so we've wasted having a good tackle in his prime under contract.

I would argue that Moton is the 2nd best tackle (left or right) we have ever had in our franchise's history behind only Gross, and 3rd/4th best OL overall behind Gross and Kalil, and on par with Wharton who was also underrated.

Moton isn't elite but he's better than just good and replacing him would create an unnecessary bigger hole than just paying him.

• Pie 6

6 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Moton isn't elite but he's better than just good and replacing him would create an unnecessary bigger hole than just paying him.

A lot of fans see a lot of our players at JAGs/replacement level players given how bad things have been.  It's hard to blame them.  We've been bad for a while, and it's often hard to appreciate the talent we do have.

I'm of the opinion that Moton is a very good/not great RT.  Solid as the day is long. He suits up, he leads, and he keeps playing hard.  He's earned his paycheck IMO.  You're not going to find a cheaper replacement right now.  If there was any move to be made, it was the offseason.

In Tillis we trust!

14 minutes ago, d-dave said:

A lot of fans see a lot of our players at JAGs/replacement level players given how bad things have been.  It's hard to blame them.  We've been bad for a while, and it's often hard to appreciate the talent we do have.

I'm of the opinion that Moton is a very good/not great RT.  Solid as the day is long. He suits up, he leads, and he keeps playing hard.  He's earned his paycheck IMO.  You're not going to find a cheaper replacement right now.  If there was any move to be made, it was the offseason.

In Tillis we trust!

I would argue Moton would be considered great if he were on a winning team all these years and playing next to half decent guards.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

They can cut him next year and save $13M of that if they really feel comfortable replacing him somehow but I doubt it. Who would start at RT this year if we had cut him?

My guess would be BC--but when you are trying to protect the QB at all costs to see what you have, you keep Moton.

9 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

I see a higher chance we extend Moton next offseason instead of releasing him 

I doubt he gets $35m and walks.  We will spread that $35m over the next 3-4 seasons, keeping his salary around $30m, is my guess. 

• Pie 1