• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"It's a philosophy": How Bryce Young has adapted 2.7 seconds to his game

22 minutes ago, strato said:

More of that generalization about the OL. We know how they fuged the stunts up regularly And how Icky was being overwhelmed. 

This is so much Chicken or the Egg here. 

You could say the OL was given a much more difficult task to protect due to how congested they (defenses) were allowed to make the near field.  

And I know there were no guys he didn't see that were open, or guys that were open but not after he held the ball too long (meaning he had time to hold it I guess).

No problem. Argue that he can throw it deep with accuracy if he has time. I hope he can. We'll see. 

I mean, that's kind of the disconnect amongst Panthers fans right now; who/what is to blame? From the looks of it, there are more than a couple of folks blaming everything on Bryce (including the protection and separation issues).

Personally, I think it's a mixture of all parts and not exclusively Bryce Young's physical limitations and/or skill set. The OL gave up 60+ sacks and WRs were statistically the bottom of the barrel when it came to separation. That's not Bryce's fault that the team played nine different guards throughout the season and that his most reliable wide receiver was 31yr old Adam Thielen.

Were there plays where Bryce didn't do his part? Absolutely! He didn't look comfortable in the offense at any point in time. That makes sense now though, as we've heard about the having multiple coaches in his ear telling him different things.

We'll get a better idea this season if Bryce was the problem, whether it be because he's too little to throw the ball twen-my bad, forty yards plus downfield (😛) or because the offense that he was surrounded by last season was really that bad.

Edited by Icege
  • Beer 1

I think we'll be fine if we can regularly get two 8-yd passes out of every three downs (or two eight yard runs every three downs, any combination take your pick)

Goal is to move the ball past the sticks. Anything beyond that 1st down marker is bonus yardage

1 hour ago, strato said:

Y'all missing my point so this will turn into something I guess. 

The stats from 30 yards, 40 yards (I am assuming and not looking it up), I am reasoning that the hookup rate for 30 yard routes is less that with 20 yard routes. 

Following that viewpoint is the same assumption for 40 yards.. I'm just guessing that a graph would show a decline in success with the increase in distance. 

Lumping those in with 20 yards throws would affect the shorter distance numbers negatively. Making the argument against the importance of field stretching with the forward pass, easier to make. 

Just a comment/observation. I don't know the extent but I'd bet all day long the 30-39, the 40-49, and everything over that too, would pull down those 20-29 numbers. 

And I am not trying to say it's all a conspiracy (to make Young look better). I am saying that the lumping all those things together as deep, is not ideal for certain purposes. It's great for making FF scoring easier, not so great for closer looks. 

I think you can argue this all you want, but everything I've seen recently, and honestly more than just recently, NFL deep passes has been considered 20 yds+. Every article I've read over the last several years that quantifies "deep" passes and defines the term, defines it as 20+ yds. How that became the standard, idk, but it seems to be. I haven't read past this post, but I suspect you are yelling at clouds basically.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

28 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

I think you can argue this all you want, but everything I've seen recently, and honestly more than just recently, NFL deep passes has been considered 20 yds+. Every article I've read over the last several years that quantifies "deep" passes and defines the term, defines it as 20+ yds. How that became the standard, idk, but it seems to be. I haven't read past this post, but I suspect you are yelling at clouds basically.

2006. I would have guessed the 70s by choosing 20 yards but it was 2006 apparently. I had no idea until I looked it up. 

Recently I have argued against the oversimplification of the 'deep' ball category, yes. Which I am going to blame that on FF scoring needing to be simple to compute quickly. They can't differentiate YAC, stuff like that to even know how much of that was air travel and how much was YAC. Well, they could, but it would be so time consuming trying to update scores. 

It think it is kind of nuts that stat people don't want to put a finer point on it but what do I know, not a stats guy really. 

I was arguing something different from the 'why they are categorized that way' and if you guys can't see it I am not gonna keep banging my fingers against these keys.

4 hours ago, scpanther22 said:

It plays into his strengths although people are going to start complaining when they say hes not throwing 30 yard bombs on every play 

Oh I expect a Randy Fasani offense , at this point we might has well run wildcat , we don't have a QB , but Caneles has to keep his job somehow, and he has to start the biggest draft bust since JaMarcus Russle, so what better way then to limit his involvement in the play as much as possible 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

According to most fans Bryce should be somewhere on the bottom of that list. This can't be right....wtf is going on here???

The whole "our o-line/WRs/coaches were actually good last year" Revisionism World Tour some of y'all are going on recently, is a level of sunshine and rainbows that would make even Bryce apologists blush.  You would think we had a talented playoff-caliber team whose success was thwarted single-handedly by Bryce.  Yet ironically those of you who recently want to downplay our o-line/WR/coaching struggles last year are the same people who argue we have the worst, least talented roster in the NFL...so which is it?

Simply put: do you agree that o-line/WR/coaching last year were net negatives?  If so, then this petty squabbling about whether they were worst or bottom five or bottom ten is a silly distraction.  The position of the fans you're referring to is simply that every facet of our offense was a mess (including Bryce) and that it was such a dysfunctional symphony of a dumpster fire that it's hard to apportion what percentage of blame goes where, and that this season will largely clear that debate up.  Which is basically exactly what @Icege outlined above.  Can you articulate why you find that position to be unreasonable?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Closing arguments are now over for both the defense and the prosecution.  The jury will return with a verdict on Sunday.

giphy.gif

If I may approach the bench...

The whole roster was bad and is still bottom tier.  Look no further than exhibit A- Baker Mayfield.  On the Panthers he was downright unwatchable.  Gets traded to the Rams and instantly looks better without knowing the whole playbook, get an offseason with the Bucs and boom playoff win. Oh and he had DJ Moore plus a CMC briefly... 

No further questions your honor. 

liar GIF

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If I may approach the bench...

The whole roster was bad and is still bottom tier.  Look no further than exhibit A- Baker Mayfield.  On the Panthers he was downright unwatchable.  Gets traded to the Rams and instantly looks better without knowing the whole playbook, get an offseason with the Bucs and boom playoff win. Oh and he had DJ Moore plus a CMC briefly... 

No further questions your honor. 

liar GIF

giphy.gif

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

we got addicted to the big deep pass. game is always in flux because both offenses and defenses are constantly adapting to what each other does. 

i wonder what he did with Geno. maybe the deep ball worked worked to Baker's strengths and the offense adapted to it.

Having Evans makes throwing deep a lot easier 

• Beer 1