• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"It's a philosophy": How Bryce Young has adapted 2.7 seconds to his game

Usually I’d call this a fluff piece but Bryce looked so indecisive last year that this seems like a huge change. Go through your progressions and if you don’t see anything RUN. If you can’t run, then throw it away 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, scpanther22 said:

It plays into his strengths although people are going to start complaining when they say hes not throwing 30 yard bombs on every play 

Nobody is asking for 30 yard bombs on a regular basis, but it has to at least be an option or the Defenses are just going to load the box again like they did last season and dare Bryce to complete anything. 

IF he still cant complete any deep shots look for 10 in the box and Canales running mentality is going to be shot to hell. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s so crazy how much of a difference half a second makes…

Fields' 3.23 is wild. Have to wonder if it gives weight to the pre-draft criticisms about his inability to read a defense.

• Beer 1

Half a second? Yeah. A tenth of a second makes the difference much of the time. Even less. Closing speed of defender vs ball speed in a race to the target is the biggest threat to a low velocity throw. 

Stats... here they go with the 20 yard deep stats again.

I would bet, if I gambled, that the completion percentages for 20 yard throws are better than for 30 yards, and decline as distance of the throw increases.

But let's lump it all together and then we can use it to argue that not having a potent deep threat isn't that big of a deal. I love stats. 

Edited by strato

44 minutes ago, strato said:

Half a second? Yeah. A tenth of a second makes the difference much of the time. Even less. Closing speed of defender vs ball speed in a race to the target is the biggest threat to a low velocity throw. 

Stats... here they go with the 20 yard deep stats again.

I would bet, if I gambled, that the completion percentages for 20 yard throws are better than for 30 yards, and decline as distance of the throw increases.

But let's lump it all together and then we can use it to argue that not having a potent deep threat isn't that big of a deal. I love stats. 

I don't understand your argument.  If you acknowledge that stats would look worse on 30+ yard passes than 20+ yard passes, then wouldn't they be better off using 30+ yard passes if they're trying to make the bolded argument that you're saying they're trying to make?  Those passes from 20-30 yards that you wish to exclude, are actually helping to make deep passes look much more successful on paper.

@strato from the article (in case you didn't check it out)

There is a theory, warranted or not, that an offense can't survive without the deep ball. Yet, according to NFL Next Gen Stats, of the 17,265 dropbacks taken by quarterbacks last season (playing a minimum of 200 passing snaps), a mere 1,558 were attempted for 20-plus yards. That's 9 percent of total passes. It's a stat Canales is well aware of, shaping his belief that success should not be dependent on the explosive, but rather supplemented by it.

Granted, a dink and dunk offense can only take a team so far in this league. Jimmy Garoppolo throwing only eight passes in an NFC Championship win to send the 49ers to the Super Bowl LIV is the exception, not the rule. Still, knowing you might need the big play at times must be balanced with the understanding that you don't have to live and die by it either.

"We want to be as balanced as possible," Young said. "Every play is different. We pride ourselves on being able to take what the defense gives us. We want to establish the run, put up the run, but obviously we're going to look to push the ball down the field when the operation presents itself. I think for us it's trying to create as efficient of an operation as possible."

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

There was an interview with Tillis posted here a while ago and he broke down how NFL defenses are all built to stop the deep pass now anyways and offenses have to be built to take what they can get, which usually means 5-10 yard passes. It's almost as if these guys are professionals and know what they are talking about. 

• Pie 3

18 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Also Canales- Baker Mayfield led the league with 73 deep passes (deep = target was 20 or more yards from the LoS).

https://www.milehighreport.com/2024/3/8/24092154/2023-regular-season-passing-by-direction-and-distance#:~:text=Baker Mayfield led the league,four of 35 deep attempts.

• Pie 1