• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BREAKING: Panthers cut Chaisson

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

Nobody gets a discount.  It's rare but sometimes a ring chaser will give a discount.  >90% of the time they go where the money is.  That's free agency.  That's why drafting is so critical.

But if the price is even they will pick the better team usually. That’s why we have to overpay some to a degree. I’m sure Hunt for example had lesser offers on the table. We just outbid the other ones. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Nobody gets a discount.  It's rare but sometimes a ring chaser will give a discount.  >90% of the time they go where the money is.  That's free agency.  That's why drafting is so critical.

Most of these guys will never make anything remotely close to the money they make in the NFL. And they know it. Taking care of their families for the next 50+ years is way more important than winning rings. 

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Most of these guys will never make anything remotely close to the money they make in the NFL. And they know it. Taking care of their families for the next 50+ years is way more important than winning rings. 

I can say first it is financial security for yourself and your loved ones and then it is a championship. I never got to the NFL but got as far as AF1 and even there it was first and foremost money and as much as possible immediately with guarantees no matter what being everything and then and only then a shiny trophy mattered but even top paid guys made squat compared to NFL salary. You are right though it is money first. The ones who say it's all about the championship are already set and their children's children set with wise investment so at that point it's okay to put your financial wants aside and open up to a trophy chase

Edited by Ricky Prickles
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I can first it is financial security for yourself and your loved ones and then it is a championship. I never got to the NFL but got as far as AF1 and even there it was first and foremost money and as much as possible immediately with guarantees no matter what being everything and then and only then a shiny trophy mattered but even top paid guys made squat compared to NFL salary. You are right though it is money first. The ones who say it's all about the championship are already set and their children's children set with wise investment so at that point it's okay to put your financial wants aside and open up to a trophy chase

Yea it’s rare.  The ring chaser type is an already accomplished vet that’s made millions already.  And even then it’s still rare.  We don’t see Julio Jones signing on the chiefs for nothing after all.

There’s a sentiment I’ve seen over the years that the Panthers have a team specific FA tax but all teams pay it.  Most players are overpaid on the open market.  It’s just the way it goes.

• Beer 3

19 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Yea it’s rare.  The ring chaser type is an already accomplished vet that’s made millions already.  And even then it’s still rare.  We don’t see Julio Jones signing on the chiefs for nothing after all.

There’s a sentiment I’ve seen over the years that the Panthers have a team specific FA tax but all teams pay it.  Most players are overpaid on the open market.  It’s just the way it goes.

I want to be overpaid for once in my life too, that has to feel good!

• Pie 3

5 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

How was it mis-managed? They made waiver claims that changed the cap situation. Saying it was mis-managed is just talking out your ass. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t, you have no clue. What we do know is Chaisson did absolutely nothing with his considerable opportunities both here and Jacksonville, was not worth his contract, and is easily replaced for less money. Also, Wonnum is supposed to be the starting OLB on the other side of Clowney so there’s your other sacks on the roster, he just happens to be injured but he’ll be back.

We knew depth would be an issue all off-season and they are dealing with it the best they can as far as I can tell but there’s only so much that can be done because of that salary cap you seem very concerned they be under at all times. You don’t like where the cap money is distributed and that’s really all this is, it’s not like they’re 50m under refusing to address needs. Too early to crucify this regime for dealing with the hand dealt by the last. I for one am more than happy they invested in OL at the expense of some defensive depth because the most important thing to evaluate this season is whether we have a franchise QB.

The mis-managed is due to talent and cap. Before the claims they were under the cap, i believe around 3 million. Are those no names additions worth 11 million in cap space?? They gave chaisson a 500,000 SB and 500,000 salary guarantee. One carried the two, thats 1 million pissed away or pissed into the -8,000,000 they were over. In which they "fixed" by giving a ok-good RT Moton nearly 40 million cap number next year. They signed a injured Wonnum, nearly all teams you need to past a physical. They were hoping he could only miss OTAs and mini, but make TC....Bad luck with the set-back, thats why you sign healthy players. They gave him what 8 million for the 2024 season aka 17  games....well best now is 13 games along with being cut next year.(7 million saving) 

I do agree this will take longer than just one off-season. I have to keep telling my myself that. Also at the same time, all the effort to correct seems like much of the same mis-takes that got us here. You are right about distributed of cap funds, im guitly of hating that. 163 million on OGs, jesus H christ I thought BY was some god-like PG that you could SAVE money with, not spend/trade for 10 elite players around him. I do need to allow morgan to work his vision and not mirco each move, I just feel hes making mistakes along the way. (his djack for johnson and future 2nd were excellent). Its a big mess the biggest in NFL, he needs full yearS of work. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Basbear said:

The mis-managed is due to talent and cap. Before the claims they were under the cap, i believe around 3 million. Are those no names additions worth 11 million in cap space?? They gave chaisson a 500,000 SB and 500,000 salary guarantee. One carried the two, thats 1 million pissed away or pissed into the -8,000,000 they were over. In which they "fixed" by giving a ok-good RT Moton nearly 40 million cap number next year. They signed a injured Wonnum, nearly all teams you need to past a physical. They were hoping he could only miss OTAs and mini, but make TC....Bad luck with the set-back, thats why you sign healthy players. They gave him what 8 million for the 2024 season aka 17  games....well best now is 13 games along with being cut next year.(7 million saving) 

I do agree this will take longer than just one off-season. I have to keep telling my myself that. Also at the same time, all the effort to correct seems like much of the same mis-takes that got us here. You are right about distributed of cap funds, im guitly of hating that. 163 million on OGs, jesus H christ I thought BY was some god-like PG that you could SAVE money with, not spend/trade for 10 elite players around him. I do need to allow morgan to work his vision and not mirco each move, I just feel hes making mistakes along the way. (his djack for johnson and future 2nd were excellent). Its a big mess the biggest in NFL, he needs full yearS of work. 

Three years in my mind. But we'll see signs of growth along the way if he's doing what he needs to.

Edited by Panthero

Tbh, DJ looked really solid in preseason.  And I've always loved me some Barno, I think he has double-digit-sacks-a-year potential, he just needed time to develop into it.  But he doesn't come back til week 4 at the earliest right?