• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Canales leaning on veteran mentors as he goes into his first NFL season

Nothing against either of them. But personally I don't get why Caldwell has lingered around this long. With as bad as things got last year I would have purged everyone on staff and started from scratch. Especially after the talk of too many voices in the mix. Well hopefully it works out. All I can do is watch it unfold.

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, frankw said:

Nothing against either of them. But personally I don't get why Caldwell has lingered around this long. With as bad as things got last year I would have purged everyone on staff and started from scratch. Especially after the talk of too many voices in the mix. Well hopefully it works out. All I can do is watch it unfold.

What reason would there be that he was not included in the purge? Ahem, hmm, all that.

I only have two guesses, and one is not that he showed total opposition to stuff the coaches were doing and it was known to everyone. 

It isn't flattering.

Like you say, we can only watch.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

22 minutes ago, frankw said:

Teppers always gotta keep someone around from the last regime to influence the next one.  I don’t get it.

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, frankw said:

You only get rid of the advisor if he’s giving bad advice. You don’t get rid of him for giving ignored advice. You get rid of the person ignoring it and they did that. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

You only get rid of the advisor if he’s giving bad advice. You don’t get rid of him for giving ignored advice. You get rid of the person ignoring it and they did that. 

Well we said similar things about Matt Rhule and we went from bad to historically bad on the very next move after him.

I don't know what happened between them and I don't know the inner workings on the philosophies between them. But my gut says something big happened between when we hired Reich and the beginning of the season that spiraled. And this was after weeks of fluff about the "rock star" staff we had assembled. You don't spend all that time closely interviewing a guy and having him give you his framework of a plan for the team that you obviously had to have accepted and liked just to have him completely pull the rug out from under you without something having had happened to facilitate that catastrophic series of events.

You also would think after firing Reich things would have gotten at least a little better but did they? We had the Packers game yes. But then that was followed up by one of the worst performances by an NFL team I've ever seen against the Jaguars missing their starting QB. That was seriously one of the ugliest Panthers games ever. Everyone involved should feel shame and frankly have to pay restitution to the Panthers fans that personally attended that nightmare.

Where I'm at is I have a definite level of hope with Canales. But it all depends on the level of involvement from those above him allowing him to do his job without interference. I cannot emphasize that enough. We'll see what happens.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Tepper, Morgan, Jim, Dom, etc.  The but this time it will be totally different brainstrust 

@CRA I was thinking the other day. I've changed my mind about Dan Morgan being the right hand man of fritttttttterererererrererer.

Morgan waived nearly half of his 2023 free agent class and most didn't have cap relief- Bell, Bozman, and hurst. Then he has 6 wavier claims, which has to be some sort of record.

To me that screams "I want no part of this roster". It seems Morgan wants a different roster than fitterererererererrer. Maybe there is some hope.

• Pie 1

It looks to me like it was All about the QB and it went sideways right at the start of putting i together. And Reich lost that one.

I really believe it was doomed with Brown a first time OC from a different tree. It didn't make sense then and surely didn't work. You want want a passing game kind of guy with a rookie QB top pick, right? 

I know the guy in the job now is probably right there with Caldwell's program to start with, if there is one. Trying to figure all that out is over my head. 

Past that, improvements over last year, in theory or approach, are clear, in the staff and front office. 

We have alignment with the HC and the OC, which seems to be extended to the GM as well. So anyone should be at least a little hopeful long term. 

19 minutes ago, Basbear said:

@CRA I was thinking the other day. I've changed my mind about Dan Morgan being the right hand man of fritttttttterererererrererer.

Morgan waived nearly half of his 2023 free agent class and most didn't have cap relief- Bell, Bozman, and hurst. Then he has 6 wavier claims, which has to be some sort of record.

To me that screams "I want no part of this roster". It seems Morgan wants a different roster than fitterererererererrer. Maybe there is some hope.

Maybe…

from day 1 of Fitterer I felt the Seattle vision was an error.  I still think Morgan has too much of that in common with with the old GM. 

The Seattle era was a unicorn.  Not something to model after