• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Saints Game Week 1

Jackie Lee

59 minutes ago, CRA said:

Tough argument to make that we have the best offense. 

Saints were 9th in points per game last year.  Panthers dead last.  That's a pretty big leapfrog.  

To further this we scored a total of 23 TDs and they scored 44 TDs. 

All it takes is their vet loaded D to bait Bryce a couple times and this could be a blowout.

Panthers need to show us something on the actual field before we start saying we are better than anyone at anything. 

• Flames 1

The closer we get to the game, the more iffy I am.  I just don't know.

Could the Panthers win?  Absolutely.  Could the Panthers get smoked?  Definitely.

We're just unknown in so many ways.  That one drive in the preseason looked good.  We looked good with our guys we were going to cut in Buffalo as well.

The Saints are  a vet heavy team.  Carr is a streaky QB.  Will he throw 3 TDs or 3 INTS?  I think they will try to run the ball on us and protect Carr.  Can we stop the run?  Can we get after them on 3rd down?  I don't know at all.  If we don't, we're going to lose it.

On offense, we're going to have to run well, but Bryce will need to make plays.  That's just how it works here.  NO is going to sell out on the run and they will come after Bryce, probably early and often.  We need to hold up and beat the blitz a few times to loosen them up.

Who knows!?  All I know is that I DO NOT want to be the team that loses to the returning worst team in football...  So the pressure is on the saints.  I mean, if we lose, but have some really positive moments; that's not the end of the world in the larger narrative.  Heck, if we're competitive, I won't be crying like a baby if we lose.  Now if the Saints run us out 35-3, we look lost on offense and ineffective on D...then I might take the season off lol.

• Pie 1

On 9/2/2024 at 2:37 PM, strato said:

Given the unpredictability of week 1, why not? Win or lose, I don't plan on using it as a barometer for the season. 

I disagree and I think we'll quickly see if this year is going to be more of a couple win season or if we have a chance to be .500.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, jtm said:

I disagree and I think we'll quickly see if this year is going to be more of a couple win season or if we have a chance to be .500.  

There are things that you'll see right away, I am sure. But there will not be defensive game plans against us like there will be a couple of weeks later.  

I hate to think about how many teams that ended up 5-11 started out 1-0. I bet there are a bunch. 

Just now, d-dave said:

Could the Panthers win?  Absolutely.  Could the Panthers get smoked?  Definitely.

We're just unknown in so many ways.  That one drive in the preseason looked good.  We looked good with our guys we were going to cut in Buffalo as well.

The Saints are  a vet heavy team.  Carr is a streaky QB.  Will he throw 3 TDs or 3 INTS?  I think they will try to run the ball on us and protect Carr.  Can we stop the run?  Can we get after them on 3rd down?  I don't know at all.  If we don't, we're going to lose it.

On offense, we're going to have to run well, but Bryce will need to make plays.  That's just how it works here.  NO is going to sell out on the run and they will come after Bryce, probably early and often.  We need to hold up and beat the blitz a few times to loosen them up.

Who knows!?  All I know is that I DO NOT want to be the team that loses to the returning worst team in football...  So the pressure is on the saints.  I mean, if we lose, but have some really positive moments; that's not the end of the world in the larger narrative.  Heck, if we're competitive, I won't be crying like a baby if we lose.  Now if the Saints run us out 35-3, we look lost on offense and ineffective on D...then I might take the season off lol.

I feel the same way but I have a weird feeling that Canales thinks this team is going to be decent and why he hasn't showed his hand.  If this is accurate, this is a big advantage for the first game because no one has any tape of our offense.  I'd be shocked if our defense wasn't solid.  

1 minute ago, strato said:

There are things that you'll see right away, I am sure. But there will not be defensive game plans against us like there will be a couple of weeks later.  

I hate to think about how many teams that ended up 5-11 started out 1-0. I bet there are a bunch. 

I'll take 1-0 and celebrate this.  We'll worry about next week next week - haha .  

30 minutes ago, d-dave said:

it's week 1.  The week that tells more lies than any other week in football.  For example, it was the birth of the Sam Darnold might be MVP or at worst CPOY talk.   We could win.  You replay this game 17 times, you go with the Saints winning the majority of the time. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, jtm said:

I'll take 1-0 and celebrate this.  We'll worry about next week next week - haha .  

I always feel better after a win. So yeah. If they get blown out, then you can take my stance that week one isn't a good barometer. 

I mean, I can't get last year images out of my mind just from a few scripted plays against a second team defense.

The two finger take down sack, the strip sacks, the bailing out and throwing OB. 

I expect a lot better, but know that poo could happen because I have seen it happen. Just like those nice scripted completions. 

Edited by strato

26 minutes ago, jtm said:

I feel the same way but I have a weird feeling that Canales thinks this team is going to be decent and why he hasn't showed his hand.  If this is accurate, this is a big advantage for the first game because no one has any tape of our offense.  I'd be shocked if our defense wasn't solid.  

but this is basically a clone post from this time last year.  I just have no more optimistic energy.  I have a little for my college team but even that is nearing more of a PJ Walker-ish trolling my own team type stuff. 

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

but this is basically a clone post from this time last year.  I just have no more optimistic energy.  I have a little for my college team but even that is nearing more of a PJ Walker-ish trolling my own team type stuff. 

Scheduling App State early in the season is a bold move cotton 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, PantherKyle said:

It's wild how little the Saints have changed over the past 3-4 years. 

They can't make any moves.  They are what cap hell truly looks like.

They have no choice but to keep moving everything into the future.  They are slated to be over the cap by $96m in 25.  They will find a way to keep pushing it back, but eventually they are going to have a year where they are effed.  Also why they are stuck with Derek Carr.

Edited by Mage

1 hour ago, Mage said:

They can't make any moves.  They are what cap hell truly looks like.

They have no choice but to keep moving everything into the future.  They are slated to be over the cap by $96m in 25.  They will find a way to keep pushing it back, but eventually they are going to have a year where they are effed.  Also why they are stuck with Derek Carr.

Haven’t we been saying that for like 15 years now 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2