• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Camp Confidential Episode 2

Jackie Lee

5 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah it seems way too lighthearted for the worst team in the league last year. The media has gone way downhill in the last 5 years

Bread and Circus. Tepper and Tepper. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

8 hours ago, strato said:

You can make the case. It's unlikely they all shine, but even a couple of misses isn't bad. 

It is a numbers game, but from what I have seen, the Wallace and Sanders have been better than advertised.  Brooks and XL---our first two picks---are still undetermined.  I did not say this when we drafted Clausen, Lafell, Armanti, and Eric Norwood before the season started, for example.  We shall see, but the signs are rather positive right now.  XL is bothering me a bit and I can see Wade-Smith getting lost in the infusion of CBs, but the others seem to have a clear path to a role on this team.  I feel that Brooks will be very good, and I feel that Sanders and Wallace could turn out to be steals if they continue to turn heads.  Again, we shall see. 

I am also interested in Bartholomew and Kingston from our recent waiver wire acquisitions.  Watch them.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It is a numbers game, but from what I have seen, the Wallace and Sanders have been better than advertised.  Brooks and XL---our first two picks---are still undetermined.  I did not say this when we drafted Clausen, Lafell, Armanti, and Eric Norwood before the season started, for example.  We shall see, but the signs are rather positive right now.  XL is bothering me a bit and I can see Wade-Smith getting lost in the infusion of CBs, but the others seem to have a clear path to a role on this team.  I feel that Brooks will be very good, and I feel that Sanders and Wallace could turn out to be steals if they continue to turn heads.  Again, we shall see. 

I am also interested in Bartholomew and Kingston from our recent waiver wire acquisitions.  Watch them.

Not disagreeing. I don't scout them until they're picked or close to being picked I guess. I liked Wallace fine and seem to remember besides the game video (that was good) that he was a team Captain I think. That kind of guy is what you are looking for. 

Most of them look good against college and it's why they are on the radar, so my scouting skills don't do it for the late round guys. 

The TE was kind of a no brainer there, definitely worth a shot. I haven't really scrutinized him yet but hear some good, and some maybe not quite as good outlooks.

I keep coming back to the thought that every top 2 pick is all about Bryce Young and I can only understand Brooks in that context. The outlet, the LB matchups in near space... that is what I am imagining was a big part of that selection. 

XL, I know people say what they say but I think the same thing, he was chosen for a specific role or maybe I should say his fit to that role within the structure of what they do in 2024 (further, acquired with the optimistic view that they won't have to adapt him to another QB*).

edit: * could be wrong on just that one or a lot of it. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

14 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Is this an attempt at humor?   There is reason for optimism, and for some people, there is a reason for pessimism.  What kind are you?

There's optimism, and then there's labeling 3 rookies that have yet to play a real NFL down, one of whom who hasn't even practiced and may not play this year at all, as 'top'. 

C'mon now.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

There's optimism, and then there's labeling 3 rookies that have yet to play a real NFL down, one of whom who hasn't even practiced and may not play this year at all, as 'top'. 

C'mon now.

Brooks better end up being a difference maker. 

If they had the future in mind when making that pick like they said they did then they’d have realized it’s a really deep RB class next year. 

They chose an RB coming off ACL surgery over Zach Frazier who’s had a really good camp and a couple WR’s who have already looked pretty good this preseason 

• Beer 1

As always, the jury is out on draft picks until year 3 but the results look promising on our mid round picks.  Ultimately this draft will be judged on XL and Brooks as those were our first and second rounders respectively.  We need them to show some promise this year and contribute at least in a rotational role.  

2 hours ago, NAS said:

As always, the jury is out on draft picks until year 3 but the results look promising on our mid round picks.  Ultimately this draft will be judged on XL and Brooks as those were our first and second rounders respectively.  We need them to show some promise this year and contribute at least in a rotational role.  

Not to worry, I was with XL on the sidelines at his alma mater for a little while this weekend and showed him some of a couple of threads of a number of guys here bashing him in the thread to motivate him. I suggested he go prove some of these know it all armchair GMs wrong. He was positive about it as usual and just smiled saying "Im gonna put everything I got in it and do whatever it takes to help the team in any way I can". He has a learning curve but he will be okay I have a feeling. Brooks I do not know him and have never met him but seems like a motivated fella from what I read and looked very good last season so I think when he is back that he will be an important piece of the puzzle in the future also.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

If they had the future in mind when making that pick like they said they did then they’d have realized it’s a really deep RB class next year. 

They chose an RB coming off ACL surgery over Zach Frazier who’s had a really good camp and a couple WR’s who have already looked pretty good this preseason 

You don’t know where they had him ranked tho. They may have had a first round grade on Brooks and shocked they could get him mid second. If you trust your scouting rankings there’d be no reason to wait for next years class when your guys is right there. 

just playing devils advocate, I wanted a CB at that pick personally 

• Beer 1

The camp confidential series has always been fluff. It's team generated content,   not "the media"

Could you imagine a David Newton or Joe Person created documentary?

Edited by csx

13 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah it seems way too lighthearted for the worst team in the league last year. The media has gone way downhill in the last 5 years

I think maybe that's part of being bad for years now?  Push the players as people and become a fan of them that way and less about the football itself.  I feel like if you are a regular championship contender you build the fan base by focusing on football, but we aren't that so have to go about doing it this way as a branding thing.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Not to worry, I was with XL on the sidelines at his alma mater for a little while this weekend and showed him some of a couple of threads of a number of guys here bashing him in the thread to motivate him

Why would you do that?  Hard cringe man

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

CMC is the only RB I can think of that truly elevates his team. D Henry and prime Beast mode maybe. They are very lucky that Raym looked like a natural in preseason because he might be starting at C this season. The fact that XL didn't even make it on camera is concerning

• Beer 2