• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

so are we done with the "answer is on the roster" era?

rayzor

19 hours ago, strato said:

And I believe Morgan stated he wanted football players. Guys that love it. So we'll see. I think he knows what that mindset looks like. 

I believe this is why they were not afraid to depart with Burns. Burns openly said he was afraid of getting hurt at times meaning he did not play 100%. Brown got paid because he did play 100% even when games were out of reach. 

• Beer 1

A new GM and new head coach are not long for this league unless they come in guns blazing. I like the moves and it seems like things are progressing nicely, but everything is fluid and all regimes grow stale eventually. Injuries happen to fan/coach/GM/owner favorites and they they’re almost never 100% the same.

The vital blow is center, left guard or and/or QB. Without talent at all 3, the offense goes nowhere. Always. Find me an annual contender with suck at those 3 positions. Neglect those spots in the draft great peril. No team in this age wins games 17 to 10 on the regular. These spots have to have serious revaluation at every draft. There always has to be good next man up talent at those spots. 1st/2nd rounders from top 10 college programs.

Showing confidence in mediocre/bad talent in a ‘good lunchpail guy’ at these 3 spots…it’s a wrap. Hard breakup, especially with the ‘give him 1 more season’ mentality. That’s what creates ‘the answer is in the roster’ coach speak. Hand a big contract to a free agent coming off a big or frequent injury history as a desperation move at any of these 3 spots, and it almost NEVER works out. 

Depth issues at anywhere else, safety, lb, dt, rb, whatever…  normally team is pretty ok at least for then with good position coaches. Mediocre guards and RT… trouble, but typically a good offensive coordinator can scheme around that, it’s still probably a 7-10 win team with a stud center, lt, and qb. Teams that neglect or draft bad here don’t win on the regular. 

42 minutes ago, gakonline said:

I believe this is why they were not afraid to depart with Burns. Burns openly said he was afraid of getting hurt at times meaning he did not play 100%. Brown got paid because he did play 100% even when games were out of reach. 

It shows character. Who is a quitter. Who is out for the $$. Burns, in this, showed big time character issues. No thank you.