• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Only way to measure success this season...

NAS

For me a franchise QB/elite QB is someone you build your roster to compliment. (Something Ron never did with Cam on the offensive side of the ball until he was already broken down from carrying the team. He built around Luke which was great, but he neglected the offense.)

Other QBs you have to build the roster around in order for them to succeed. I'm afraid that even with a good offense, BY is this latter type of QB that will just be a glorified game manager and needs everyone else to be perfect for him to be serviceable. 

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

no qb would have succeeded here last year

Unfortunately we will never know this. No one can.

But we will know what we have in Dave Canales and his staff rather quickly. The NFL did us a solid with our first game being in hostile territory against a bitter division rival. Showing up in New Orleans and making a statement will be an automatic immense improvement. That's what I hope to see.

24 minutes ago, Manna said:

For me a franchise QB/elite QB is someone you build your roster to compliment. (Something Ron never did with Cam on the offensive side of the ball until he was already broken down from carrying the team. He built around Luke which was great, but he neglected the offense.)

Other QBs you have to build the roster around in order for them to succeed. I'm afraid that even with a good offense, BY is this latter type of QB that will just be a glorified game manager and needs everyone else to be perfect for him to be serviceable. 

That is how they are attacking the situation, looks like to me. And we get to rationalize that it will be all built for the next guy if he fails so how can it be wrong?

They flat out pilfered the defense to prop up the offense. Burns, the pick and the saved money, offense. 

Bryce Young just needs to really be good because if he only looks 'decent' or third tier with all of that coaching and talent around him,  I'm not gonna feel real enthusiastic about it. 

Which obviously s getting ahead of things at this point so we'll see. 

On 8/30/2024 at 9:44 AM, NAS said:

On the other hands, If BY does not look like HIM, has another bad year or looks like he will be nothing more than a game manager, then it's a failure even if we win 8-9 games because it means we'll be back in QB purgatory for years to come.   

I can be ok with Game manager as long theres glimpses of what he could be.  If he is supposed to be a distributor and a cerebral QB, that can come along as the player learns new aspects of the Game IE what Drew Brees and Tom Brady did.  Both were pretty much game managers on their rookie deals but showed signs of growth and flashes of greatness, it wasnt till the second contract where the brilliance showed up.  Now if he's a Teddy Bridgewater level game manager and he's actively lost us games with bad turnovers or hesitant to throw into tight windows in the 4th of a close game and resorting to checkdowns that fall short, then I agree.

• Pie 1

There are so many variables that make up a winning team. You can have a really good QB but poor coaching. You have to have weapons that mesh well with your QB , you have to have a competent scheme, know what your QB can and can’t do. So many other things as well. But yeh, as long as Bryce doesn’t get hurt and is out for a significant period of time, we don’t have a ton of injuries on the o-line and our receivers play like NFL receivers we will know if Bryce is the guy.