• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking long-term, while "retooling" a roster a delicate balance

I'm fine with realistic expecations. But it's been 5 years now and the Panthers decision makers still do not know how to define a rebuild.

The only right way to build is hitting on draft picks. If Morgan does that consistently the fanbase will love him.

• Pie 3

Dan used retooling because he made a comment about a rebuild early in the offseason and was flamed for it.

Morgan knows it’s a delicate balance. You can’t tell these guys on the roster that “we think you’re a 5 win roster” and expect them to play hard.

I can’t remember when I heard it from but the feeling inside the panthers office is that they wouldn’t be happy with 5 wins but would understand.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Dan used retooling because he made a comment about a rebuild early in the offseason and was flamed for it.

Morgan knows it’s a delicate balance. You can’t tell these guys on the roster that “we think you’re a 5 win roster” and expect them to play hard.

I can’t remember when I heard it from but the feeling inside the panthers office is that they wouldn’t be happy with 5 wins but would understand.

I agree.  I think it's way more important to manage Tepper's expectations and to a lesser extent the fan expectations.  But yeah you can't go in telling the guys they have a 3 win quota this year lol

1 hour ago, Panthercougar68 said:

The number of waiver claims made tells you what the FO thinks of this roster.

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I agree.  I think it's way more important to manage Tepper's expectations and to a lesser extent the fan expectations.  But yeah you can't go in telling the guys they have a 3 win quota this year lol

I think I recall the stories of Fox inheriting the 1-15 team and basically saying they were weak and got run over. Was motivating enough. 

• Beer 2

15 minutes ago, Donald LaFell said:

I think I recall the stories of Fox inheriting the 1-15 team and basically saying they were weak and got run over. Was motivating enough. 

Yea I think it's all about context.  That's a lot different than saying just go out there and do your best, because we're really only expecting 3-5 wins.

He took over a 2-15 team and didn't bring in any meaningful competition in the biggest area of failure last year on the roster (OG being a close 2nd) at the most important area of the roster while trying to reinforce it (except the draft which isn't showing 1 starter yet as far as my checked out butt can see (such a low bar)). It's not a rebuild, it is a retool which is a retry of the last build with adjustments. If it doesn't work it's largely on him as GM and at least he is getting in front of it. He also took the job and was already here so no discount on being blindsided by it all because he had an entire offseason to hedge his bets. It's the NFL and with all the parody you can't not talk expectations because it's set up to give the bottom dummies a chance to turn it around. If Houston can do it after being not good with Watson (52.8 win % with Watson starting vs 58% in one season with Stroud as a rookie) then regardless of the situation they need to show improvement or the expectations won't be met. Hedge your bets how you wish but the NFL isn't going to be forgiving for long. 

I am so ready to get this over. Let's get to week 6 and cut the BS. Prove it time is almost here. Every team has to justify home game prices so do it or get booed, and prices are at a FU level and rising. None of this is rocket science and yet it's built up that way too often. Show some fight organizations can get behind or it's just hope to huff on before you choke on disappointment. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Donald LaFell said:

Basically same situation with more sensible ownership (then). A different time. 

Now it's dawgs. And from the GM (who is the 'bad cop' to the players in this arrangement). 

Edited by strato