• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thursday front office press conference 11am

11 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I don't buy it.  It doesn't fit his MO at all.  I think he and Tepper sold themselves on it that it was the right pick after discussing it though.

I just kept hearing his interviews about "size doesn't matter if there aren't batted balls" He had Wilson who was short and he kept talking about the "point guard" thing. 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

And I’ve said this exact thing a few times. If Canales can turn Geno and Baker around I’d LOVE to see what he could do with a QB who has all the tools. 

From the looks of it they’re building the line and want to establish the run game. They got their big outside WR’s in Legette and Mingo. 

If Bryce isn’t it I think they go and get their guy next season. I still think if Geno is cut for cap purposes in Seattle that he ends up here. Be another stopgap until we draft another QB

At the same time, I think they were hedging towards fitting to Bryce with those first two draft picks. Jump ball WR, and a near field pass catching threat in the RB.

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

That stupid S2 test must’ve carried so much weight in that room while debating QB’s

Turn on the damn tape. CJ’s film was littered with big time NFL throws every game. Smoothest drop back and delivery. By far the most accurate and best thrower. 

Might be a while before we see another like him. Next year I’m Carson Beck or bust. I’m comping Beck to Lawrence. Has all the tools. Would like to see more. Similar stature. Similar mobility. Similar arms 

Yes absolutely and it was clear, to me. 

I'll temper that by saying I didn't want to trade up at all, for anybody. But I didn't research the QBs until it happened, I might have felt differently. I sure saw it when I looked. 

And I just don't watch much college ball at all so I don't have any opinions on who I am looking at, going in. It is a detached thing, watch and see what you see. 

Just now, frankw said:

Dwayne Jarrett 2.0 is the expectation.

By the end of the year we'll have an answer.

Think about it this way too.  Nobody was willing to give even a 7th round 2026 draft choice for him.  Not even the 49ers.  Nobody was willing to claim him on waivers.  Not even the 49ers.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I just kept hearing his interviews about "size doesn't matter if there aren't batted balls" He had Wilson who was short and he kept talking about the "point guard" thing. 

I definitely agree with him thinking Bryce == Russ.  I'm just not quite sure how they got there.  Was he sold on the beginning or after talking it over with Tepper and the coaches?  At the end of the day, it's just speculation.  I just find it odd that the RAS squad is gonna draft such an undersized guy at 1 overall.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Think about it this way too.  Nobody was willing to give even a 7th round 2026 draft choice for him.  Not even the 49ers.  Nobody was willing to claim him on waivers.  Not even the 49ers.

I think people are nervous because of him being with one of the better offensive minds in Shanny.  Even if he looks better there is by no way means he was going to here. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yep. I think Dan really wants a big and tough team. There’s no damn way he wanted Bryce. 

Both Dan and Dave want to run the ball and take deep shots. That’s literally the exact opposite of Young’s game. Struggles with deep ball and can’t be lined up under center.

I’m guessing Dan and Dave agreed to try and build up this roster first before finding their QB to bring in. Look at the one QB they brought in… Plummer is 6’5”

It was always hard to buy the talk of it being a fully unanimous decision with all the people involved.

I wish Dan hadn't said that. But it doesn't really matter much anymore anyways. It's over and done with. This season either our QB1 balls out or we will continue the search.

• Pie 1

The unanimous decision thing is just PR speak.  I don't think there are many unanimous decisions in NFL front offices.  GM's take the input of everyone involved and make the decision they think right.  There's nothing good that comes out of saying "Well we weren't really sold on Bryce but at the end of the day, that's who we picked" lol.  What does that do besides hurt his confidence and make us look stupid?

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think people are nervous because of him being with one of the better offensive minds in Shanny.  Even if he looks better there is by no way means he was going to here. 

They need a body because Aiyuk isn't practicing and might hold out or be traded.  They liked TMJ coming out but they also liked Trey Lance.  Coaches always think they have the special sauce to mold players into what they can be.  And they should think that.  It's confidence.

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

The unanimous decision thing is just PR speak.  I don't think there are many unanimous decisions in NFL front offices.  GM's take the input of everyone involved and make the decision they think right.  There's nothing good that comes out of saying "Well we weren't really sold on Bryce but at the end of the day, that's who we picked" lol.  What does that do besides hurt his confidence and make us look stupid?

Nicole wanted Stroud. 

• Pie 2

It's super funny how many of y'all are hung up on the 2023 NFL draft...

It's over.  We got what we got, and we'll have to see where the rest of it lands this season.  Coaches coach.  If Canales can get winning QB play out of Bryce, then this will all be forgotten.  Honestly, I'm willing to bet that most of us are just eager to see how much fools gold we all got this time around.

I'm full of hope right now.  It's more fun for me that way.  My job, reputation, and future do not depend on anyone being right about the Panthers, Bryce Young or anyone else.  But the Panthers do.  If they want to keep their jobs, those nice paychecks, the power and influence they have; put up or shut up.

That's what the cuts/waiver wire pick ups show.  It wasn't working, let's get big.  Hopefully those guys can translate this season in a positive way.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

16 minutes ago, strato said:

At the same time, I think they were hedging towards fitting to Bryce with those first two draft picks. Jump ball WR, and a near field pass catching threat in the RB.

XL is more of a Dan and Dave fit then it is Bryce for me. When has Bryce ever been the type to throw it up 50/50 style for his WR to go get? He definitely didn’t do it at Bama (he didn’t have to) but he didn’t do it last year either 

• Pie 2

29 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

why do I think what?  He our most expensive player, he is aging out and his contract makes us able to move on.  Paying him 30 million a year is pretty nuts and the fact that they havent renegotiated it is pretty telling

That’s a pretty strong case lol 

7 minutes ago, d-dave said:

It's super funny how many of y'all are hung up on the 2023 NFL draft...

It's over.  We got what we got, and we'll have to see where the rest of it lands this season.  Coaches coach.  If Canales can get winning QB play out of Bryce, then this will all be forgotten.  Honestly, I'm willing to bet that most of us are just eager to see how much fools gold we all got this time around.

I'm full of hope right now.  It's more fun for me that way.  My job, reputation, and future do not depend on anyone being right about the Panthers, Bryce Young or anyone else.  But the Panthers do.  If they want to keep their jobs, those nice paychecks, the power and influence they have; put up or shut up.

That's what the cuts/waiver wire pick ups show.  It wasn't working, let's get big.  Hopefully those guys can translate this season in a positive way.

Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime