• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thursday front office press conference 11am

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

I’m telling you I know for a fact if it wasn’t Bryce it was going time AR. Believe me or not don’t matter. Whether Morgan was team Bryce or not I have no idea. But just reading between the lines and seeing what he’s all brought in and his style of football it’s tough to think he was

I think Reich and his faction of coaches wanted Stroud, Fitterer and Morgan wanted AR, and Tepper wanted Bryce.  As a compromise, I think Fitterer and Tepper sold themselves on Bryce having all the intangibles and being our Russell Wilson.  That's what I think went down.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yep. I think Dan really wants a big and tough team. There’s no damn way he wanted Bryce. 

Both Dan and Dave want to run the ball and take deep shots. That’s literally the exact opposite of Young’s game. Struggles with deep ball and can’t be lined up under center.

I’m guessing Dan and Dave agreed to try and build up this roster first before finding their QB to bring in. Look at the one QB they brought in… Plummer is 6’5”

If Canales is going to be here, you have to send him in search of his quarterback because... if he can do this with retreads and with special case Bryce, you have to think he could hit a home run with his hand picked guy.

5 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I’m telling you I know for a fact if it wasn’t Bryce it was going time AR. Believe me or not don’t matter. Whether Morgan was team Bryce or not I have no idea. But just reading between the lines and seeing what he’s all brought in and his style of football it’s tough to think he was

Okay. I was all the way out on Bryce, anyone was a better choice. If you have that kind of connection (to say you know for a fact) I wouldn't challenge that because I don't.

Edited by strato

31 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

they want out from that it appears, he is expensive and getting older.  They probably will just bite the bullet next on year on him

Why do you think that?  He is our most consistent OL by a long shot.  He is 30 so yeah older, but not ancient. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, strato said:

If Canales is going to be here, you have to send him in search of his quarterback because... if he can do this with retreads and with special case Bryce, you have to think he could hit a home run with his hand picked guy.

Okay. I was all the way out on Bryce, anyone was a better choice. If you have that kind of connection I wouldn't challenge that because I don't.

And I’ve said this exact thing a few times. If Canales can turn Geno and Baker around I’d LOVE to see what he could do with a QB who has all the tools. 

From the looks of it they’re building the line and want to establish the run game. They got their big outside WR’s in Legette and Mingo. 

If Bryce isn’t it I think they go and get their guy next season. I still think if Geno is cut for cap purposes in Seattle that he ends up here. Be another stopgap until we draft another QB

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I think Reich and his faction of coaches wanted Stroud, Fitterer and Morgan wanted AR, and Tepper wanted Bryce.  As a compromise, I think Fitterer and Tepper sold themselves on Bryce having all the intangibles and being our Russell Wilson.  That's what I think went down.

I'm pretty sure Fitterer wanted Bryce.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Why do you think that?  He is our most consistent OL by a long shot.  He is 30 so yeah older, but not ancient. 

why do I think what?  He our most expensive player, he is aging out and his contract makes us able to move on.  Paying him 30 million a year is pretty nuts and the fact that they havent renegotiated it is pretty telling

• Beer 3

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I'm pretty sure Fitterer wanted Bryce.

Not sure about morgan but I am damn sure fitt and tepper wanted young from what was said and reported after the fact.  I also dont think there was a damn unanimous consensus that young was the pick by everyone in the building.  Thats just unnecessarily lying to us for really no reason.

But to me morgan started out behind the 8ball when it was reported he didnt want to do the burns deal either.  Incredibly stupid and short sighted.  I can maybe think of only a few non qbs that I wouldnt have taken that haul for.  Maybe 3 players and I am struggling to come up with them now. 

23 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

There's plenty of things to criticize this team about, but keeping actual NFL level WR's over a guy that can't play isn't one of them.

Fair or not it is perfectly realistic and fine to say since we have no track record yet to speak of with this FO so there is no earned benefit of the doubt.

In regards to TMJ specifically. I want to be clear that I am not a defender of his. I was quite critical of him. I did like the pick at the time and thought it made ok sense generally give our need and who was available. With him it seemed to be not any lack of talent but inside his head. He didn’t seem to want it. But IMO he can actually play. And he was under 24 years old through 3 head coaches and 2 GM's in his NFL career that's not an insignificant set of circumstances in his defense. If his potential is to be unlocked it will be with the 49ers or it won't happen. I can't say because I don't know. I just do not want to see another situation like CMC where a guy is tearing it up on a winning team making playoff runs. And especially if our offense is not living up to expectations.

My perfect scenario is he stinks it up in SF and we finally have a real offense again. Win/win. But like I said to another poster. I'm a lifelong Panthers fan. I know how these things tend to lean. It's going to be one extreme or the other. We'll see.

That stupid S2 test must’ve carried so much weight in that room while debating QB’s

Turn on the damn tape. CJ’s film was littered with big time NFL throws every game. Smoothest drop back and delivery. By far the most accurate and best thrower. 

Might be a while before we see another like him. Next year I’m Carson Beck or bust. I’m comping Beck to Lawrence. Has all the tools. Would like to see more. Similar stature. Similar mobility. Similar arms 

• Beer 1

I don't really know what to make of the bottom of the roster turnover.  Maybe this is Morgan being awesome or maybe our team is that bad that other team's castoffs are better than what we have.  I think it definitely sends a message to the team that no one is safe other than a handful of players.  I'm all for this because less than 5 players on the entire roster have played well enough the past couple of years to be secure with their job.  

Just now, frankw said:

Fair or not it is perfectly realistic and fine to say since we have no track record yet to speak of with this FO so there is no earned benefit of the doubt.

In regards to TMJ specifically. I want to be clear that I am not a defender of his. I was quite critical of him. I did like the pick at the time and thought it made ok sense generally give our need and who was available. With him it seemed to be not any lack of talent but inside his head. He didn’t seem to want it. But IMO he can actually play. And he was under 24 years old through 3 head coaches and 2 GM's in his NFL career that's not an insignificant set of circumstances in his defense. If his potential is to be unlocked it will be with the 49ers or it won't happen. I can't say because I don't know. I just do not want to see another situation like CMC where a guy is tearing it up on a winning team making playoff runs. And especially if our offense is not living up to expectations.

My perfect scenario is he stinks it up in SF and we finally have a real offense again. Win/win. But like I said to another poster. I'm a lifelong Panthers fan. I know how these things tend to lean. It's going to be one extreme or the other. We'll see.

It's been brought up in other threads, but the amount of receivers that finally figure it out in year 4 is almost nonexistent.  This a 2nd round guy that hasn't done a thing, probably isn't a culture fit (the ball throw thing as an example), and can't play special teams.  I don't think he'll be in the NFL in 2-3 years.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It's been brought up in other threads, but the amount of receivers that finally figure it out in year 4 is almost nonexistent.  This a 2nd round guy that hasn't done a thing, probably isn't a culture fit (the ball throw thing as an example), and can't play special teams.  I don't think he'll be in the NFL in 2-3 years.

Dwayne Jarrett 2.0 is the expectation.

By the end of the year we'll have an answer.

• Pie 1