• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers bring Jordan Matthews back to 53-man roster

42 minutes ago, Daeavorn said:

So why cut him to begin with?

We could only place 2 players on IR before the roster was set. We probably told him it was just a formality and were going to elevate him back to the roster once we could place another player on IR. He is a vested veteran, so he wasn't subject to waivers. 

• Pie 3

21 minutes ago, Daeavorn said:

i think it was just a matter of trying to buy us a little time to figure out a couple spots. He agreed to stick with the practice squad so he must have been told he would be back. Since he was a vet he wasn't going to be picked up in waivers so we didn't have to worry about losing him through that.  He was probably one of the safest to put there if we were sure he was coming back.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Daeavorn said:

MHS Theory:  32-year old Matthews is a veteran and they could cut him and see if there is interest to do him a solid--but to also let him know that a PS position was on the table. Crumedy (DT) being waived risked loosing a draft pick.  The way I understand it, you can't put players on IR until after waivers have been cleared--something like that.  So they cut Matthews and put him on the PS.  Had they waived Crumedy and he got taken, then it would have been stupid knowing that the 32-year old Matthews was much less likely to be signed.  This allowed the Panthers to have some wiggle room in the event another player came available. I am not sure that makes sense to me, but it did before I started writing.  Maybe someone else can correct this or add to it.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I'm happy he made the roster because he seemed to give our offense some excitement when he was on the field.  He was open a lot and we can't say that about any tight end we've had since Olsen.  

Edited by jtm
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

According to what Morgan said about him, he is a cultural benefit. Someone good for the young TE to be around, and the other young guys too. It's important and lacking. Plus what he is doing on the field. 

3 hours ago, Daeavorn said:

Easier to do that with vested veterans.  Most of the cuts (younger guys) have to pass through waivers, and the Panthers didn't want to risk that.

I'm sure when Matthews was originally cut the Panthers told him this was their plan.  Only real risk was Matthews wanting to sign with someone else, which he obviously didn't want to do.

Same reason we waited to cut ISM & Coker IMO.  Let teams make the initial rosters post-waiver claims and then try to cut them and sneak them back on the practice squad.

I think the team always viewed Matthews as a core 53-player, but this was basically just a charade to not risk losing other players knowing they could easily resign Matthews after cuts & waiver claims.

• Pie 2