• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 College Football Thread

21 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Peppers has 3 targets over the course of his career.  Lining him up in the red zone was an experiment that never worked more than a decoy.  Expecting someone to contribute on both sides of the ball is incredibly unrealistic.

Decoy is no small thing. Anytime you can throw a massive curve ball it's a competitive advantage.

John Fox talking about it:

So, as soon as Peppers got here in 2002, Fox and Henning started drawing plays in the dirt.

They figured putting the 6-foot-7, 290-pound Peppers on the outside was going to do a few things to an opposing defense, almost all of them good.

If they left a little defensive back over there (like the Patriots did with the 5-foot-10, 200-pound Wilson), you could throw a jump ball and take a shot.

If they doubled the biggest tight end in the league with a linebacker, that meant you had a light box and could run the other direction with great effect (and this was always Fox's preference). When he'd go in, it was part of their two-back, two-tight end personnel which they called "New Jersey," which left just one other wideout on the field.

"For the most part, we did so we could run the other way, right?" Fox said. "But it was really a good little deal. If anything, he still accounted for a lot of touchdowns because of the design."

47 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Not discounting what you’re saying but I’d take a top tier receiver over a top tier corner any day of the week in the modern NFL.  The player impact just isn’t the same.  Corner play can be mitigated significantly with a good pass rush and good safety play.  A top flight WR can help a young QB and is game breaking.

I’d argue that corner has more value because there’s currently none in the NFL that completely shutdown one side of the field but there’s multiple WR’s that can take over a game (Lamb, Chase, Hill, etc.). Even with a good pass rush and safety play, QB’s are getting the ball out quicker than ever. An elite corner than can play press-man literally shuts down half the field. I mean we don’t have to look further than what Hunter’s coach did in the league. Just look over the past 5 years, there’s been more CB’s picked in the top 5 picks than WR’s. Every team is looking for the next lockdown guy. Again this year you have Will Johnson from Michigan projected to go before any of the receivers.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I was thinking Favre with wheels. That INT was straight Darnold though lol. Otherwise a great first game at a new school

Lamar made one of those in the playoffs. Gunslingers get carried away sometimes. 

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can't stand Clemson but he's right. If App State is your out of conference "cupcake" then you aren't padding your schedule. Look at some of the teams that ranked teams played this week.

#2 Ohio State played Akron. 52-6.

#5 Alabama played Western Kentucky. 63-0

#6 Ole Miss played Furman. 76-0.

#11 Missouri played Murray State. Beat them 51-0.

#22 Kansas played Lindenwood. 48-3.

#12 Utah played Southern Utah. 49-0.

#16 Oklahoma played Temple. 51-3.

#25 Iowa played Illinois State. 40-0.

#15 Tennessee played Chattanooga. 69-3

I mean, do people really not realize that most of these week one and week two games are the college equivalent of preseason? There are a handful of intriguing matchups and the rest is just straight up can crushing.

Clemson is well known for playing cupcakes over the years. They got the reputation for a reason. Yep, they played a rough one this week which is wildly out of character for them so I guess they will play whoever they think will give them an easy win the next 5 or 6 weeks I suppose. I mean, it's not just me that feels it. Ask anyone who isn't a Clemson fan. Without a generational QB they aren't doing much damage anyhow. Their time is up now.

5 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Clemson is well known for playing cupcakes over the years. They got the reputation for a reason. Yep, they played a rough one this week which is wildly out of character for them so I guess they will play whoever they think will give them an easy win the next 5 or 6 weeks I suppose. I mean, it's not just me that feels it. Ask anyone who isn't a Clemson fan. Without a generational QB they aren't doing much damage anyhow. Their time is up now.

They'll play who is scheduled the next five or six weeks. It's not like they're adjusting their schedule on the fly. LOL

I'm not defending Clemson historically. I can't stand them. But I do understand their calculus. They understood the value of being an undefeated P5 team. They also understood that taking a loss as the ACC champ basically means you're automatically out of the running. They knew they HAD to go undefeated. That all adds up to heavily incentivising them to play a weak out of conference schedule. I get it.

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

If a team takes him as the #1 WR over T-Mac from Arizona, then they're beyond stupid, and no, that isn't the homer in me.

Hunter gets overrated because of his 2 way play, it makes him a truly elite college player and a clear cut Heisman favorite, but it does nothing to help his draft stock where he's going to end up being forced into one position in the end.

McMillan is 6'5 with speed, leaping ability, and some wiggle to him with the ball in his hands, and speaking of his hands, they're basically just giant slabs of glue, because he catches anything that they touch.  He's not going to burn past you like a Tyreek, but that's not the type of speed most 6'5" guys have anyways, and that's really his only "flaw" if you even want to call it that.

730 yards in his last 3 games, over 1,110 yards in his last 7

He will absolutely be the #1 WR off the board in the draft, no doubt in my mind.  I've seen comps call him a Mike Evans, but to me, I've always seen more of an AJ Green when watching him play, but either way, the kid is going to be a long time All Pro type of player in the league.

He's not getting drafted before Hunter. We can put $100 bet on that right now.

24 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Yeah, the reputation mad SEC folks talk about amongst themselves.  Like I said, the real stat padding is that Clemson handled the ACC play with ease.  That’s what folks were actually made about.  

Clemson’s out to conference generally  always includes 2 SEC teams or if they can’t get 2 a Notre Dame type.  Every school in including Bama, UGA, Ohio St plays the random nobodies.   

the argument is essentially Clemson shouldn’t be able to do what everyone else does….because they are an ACC school.  

Clemson is also penalized because the Gamecocks stink.  

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They'll play who is scheduled the next five or six weeks. It's not like they're adjusting their schedule on the fly. LOL

I'm not defending Clemson historically. I can't stand them. But I do understand their calculus. They understood the value of being an undefeated P5 team. They also understood that taking a loss as the ACC champ basically means you're automatically out of the running. They knew they HAD to go undefeated. That all adds up to heavily incentivising them to play a weak out of conference schedule. I get it.

Majority of Clemson’s college playoff appearances featured them going in with a loss.  You can take a L in a lot of years.  It generally was always a bad L too.  In the expanded format a 1 loss ACC team can get in. 

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Allar? Beck looked solid and Ward impressed me against a tough team on the road. Allar looked good too. I didn’t realize he could run if needed. I kind of thought he was a statue…

Yeah autocorrect. Penn State had a terrible offense last year so I’m interested to see how Allar is with new wings. His arm is a beaut.

This will be my third CFS following Ward so am high on him, but he may top out as a top-10ish pick. He’s probably not passing Beck or Allan unless he has some Daniels type year.

• Pie 1