• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 College Football Thread

Think people might be sleeping on USC tonight. Miller Moss looked really good against Louisville in the Holiday Bowl last year and he has some unproven but highly touted receivers to throw the ball to in Branch, Robinson, and Lemon. USC’s issue has always been defense and they handed the reigns over to Anthony Lynn’s son, D’Anton, who completely turned around UCLA’s defense before jumping ship to USC.

18 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Travis Hunter will be the #1 overall pick come at me

Unfortunately that won’t happen because scouts can’t make up their mind on where to play him and he won’t play both ways to the extent he does at the college level. The eye test says he should be a receiver but all of the metrics say he should be a corner. It’s an interesting situation.

13 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Unfortunately that won’t happen because scouts can’t make up their mind on where to play him and he won’t play both ways to the extent he does at the college level. The eye test says he should be a receiver but all of the metrics say he should be a corner. It’s an interesting situation.

His value is higher at WR than CB.  That's just today's game.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

He's not playing both ways in the NFL. I wanted him as a DB, but it's becoming clear he has way more value as a WR.

In a weak QB draft he's going to have a real chance to go #1 overall.

15 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

His value is higher at WR than CB.  That's just today's game.

Believe it or not some scouts want him more as a CB because of his size. There simply aren’t guys his size that move the way he does at the corner position. His size and speed at the wide receiver position is uncommon but not as uncommon - see Garrett Wilson.

He may not be as good of a corner as he is a WR but I know there’s a few NFL teams out there that would certainly like to try him there because there simply aren’t lockdown 6-1, 185 lb., 4.3 40 corners in the NFL that move the way he does.

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

He's not playing both ways in the NFL. I wanted him as a DB, but it's becoming clear he has way more value as a WR.

Won’t happen because while it’s a weak QB draft it’s a strong OT draft at the top and a high end EDGE in James Pearce will also be available.

A WR hasn’t went first overall since the 90’s when Keyshawn went first.

• Pie 1

I think Hunter's value is higher as a CB and part of that is simply because you can draw up a few plays to get him a handful of snaps per game on offense. He definitely won't be a full time both ways player at the NFL level but there's a long history of elite defenders getting some situational snaps on offense. We did it with Peppers. There really isn't with elite offensive players on defense other than putting in receivers deep against hail Marys.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I see a lot of Lamar in his game. It’s not just because of the obvious elusiveness speed. It’s his explosiveness in the pocket throwing or running. He is a throw first gunslinger that plays maybe even larger than his size which isn’t small. Sometimes he trusts his arm too much just like Lamar and most gunslingers. I doubt he will be as good as Lamar running in the NFL but his arm looks similar plus he is fast enough to be a concern for NFL defenses. 

Yeah I was thinking Favre with wheels. That INT was straight Darnold though lol. Otherwise a great first game at a new school

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think Hunter's value is higher as a CB and part of that is simply because you can draw up a few plays to get him a handful of snaps per game on offense. He definitely won't be a full time both ways player at the NFL level but there's a long history of elite defenders getting some situational snaps on offense. We did it with Peppers. There really isn't with elite offensive players on defense other than putting in receivers deep against hail Marys.

Bingo!

21 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Believe it or not some scouts want him more as a CB because of his size. There simply aren’t guys his size that move the way he does at the corner position. His size and speed at the wide receiver position is uncommon but not as uncommon - see Garrett Wilson.

He may not be as good of a corner as he is a WR but I know there’s a few NFL teams out there that would certainly like to try him there because there simply aren’t lockdown 6-1, 185 lb., 4.3 40 corners in the NFL that move the way he does.

Not discounting what you’re saying but I’d take a top tier receiver over a top tier corner any day of the week in the modern NFL.  The player impact just isn’t the same.  Corner play can be mitigated significantly with a good pass rush and good safety play.  A top flight WR can help a young QB and is game breaking.

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Peppers has 3 targets over the course of his career.  Lining him up in the red zone was an experiment that never worked more than a decoy.  Expecting someone to contribute on both sides of the ball is incredibly unrealistic.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

If a team takes him as the #1 WR over T-Mac from Arizona, then they're beyond stupid, and no, that isn't the homer in me.

Hunter gets overrated because of his 2 way play, it makes him a truly elite college player and a clear cut Heisman favorite, but it does nothing to help his draft stock where he's going to end up being forced into one position in the end.

McMillan is 6'5 with speed, leaping ability, and some wiggle to him with the ball in his hands, and speaking of his hands, they're basically just giant slabs of glue, because he catches anything that they touch.  He's not going to burn past you like a Tyreek, but that's not the type of speed most 6'5" guys have anyways, and that's really his only "flaw" if you even want to call it that.

730 yards in his last 3 games, over 1,110 yards in his last 7

He will absolutely be the #1 WR off the board in the draft, no doubt in my mind.  I've seen comps call him a Mike Evans, but to me, I've always seen more of an AJ Green when watching him play, but either way, the kid is going to be a long time All Pro type of player in the league.

Edited by tukafan21