• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 College Football Thread

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Guess what , UNC isn't anything special in football. Yeah, Howell and Maye are the best QBs we've ever had. And those guys won a helluva lot more games than your Deion clown troop. Of all people, your bandwagon jumping ass can't be talking about any other college football fans making anything look bad.

Lol

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Remember when Colorado got their ass whooped by Matt Rhule? You acted like you were a UNC fan all along and how oh well, Colorado sucks again so I'm not interested anymore. But let them win a few games against bad teams (like UNC did) and oh yeah, you chirpin' again. LOL

When have I ever denied being a UNC fan?

I can't help we suck in football it's not much to brag about. Im sure you have seen me around during the college basketball season. That's when I'm really chirpin about UNC.

Colorado is simply my bandwagon team and it burns you up lol

8 hours ago, beo said:

This is a good point, one that I did not take into account with my previous posts. It is true that with regards to ACC play UNC-CH has been far better, even in the 2014-present timeframe there's a large gap between the two. I never meant to claim that over the past decade or so that the Heels haven't been the better program; I am more fighting back against the notion that we've been horrible.

Since 2012 the series is 6-8 in UNC-CH's favor.  An advantage, but not that large of one. We were legendarily terrible in the 90s and 00s, weren't even really a power 5 team in anything except name and historical ties. Since hiring Cutcliffe, Duke's program has undergone a substantial transformation and this has been followed by investment as well. But it takes time to go from one of the worst power 5 programs of all time into a winning one. It is mainly this perception of Duke that I believe to be unfair; we aren't that bad of a football program anymore and there have been results that show this improvement. It's been a long time since the 90s and 00s. At this point, that barely matters anymore than who won the ACC in 1963. 

Timeframes can get semantical and nitpicky. I think regardless of exact spans and all of that, it's pretty clear that the series has been much more competitive recently. Even those games UNC-CH won in 2019, 2022 and 2023 were all very competitive and came down to a few plays. It's not like y'all have just been steamrolling us.

Perhaps I misinterpreted you earlier, I agree that making an ACC title run every so often with a Maye or Howell is a reasonable goal. But a great QB doesn't mean you have a great roster, player development seems to be where the Heels have struggled in recent times. 

Love this post!  Believe it or not, as a Duke fan I pull for Carolina; I pull for all ACC schools when they aren’t playing Duke!  I want the conference as a whole to do well and stay together.  There are no rivalry’s if it’s a one sided affair.  Hell I’ve even started watching Cal and SMU games.  My wife and I took off to Miami last year to support FSU, she is a Carolina fan!  Something like that I have found impossible with “SEC” fans, not a single one of them that I know give 2 craps about the conference, it’s their team and their team only.

9 hours ago, beo said:

Meh, fug those greedy TV executives. I'd prefer the ACC to stay together with the NC schools even if it means we all fall behind in a sport that's increasingly coming down to "who has rich boosters willing to waste more money?". I love a good rivalry game, that Duke-Wake rain game last year when Wake sucked and we were on a 3rd stringer was very fun to me even if the quality of the play was lacking. Regional bickering is the essence of college sports. I'd hate to see a day when UNC-CH or any of the other charter member ACC schools are in a different conference.

The regional games are generally the only ones I watch.