• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 College Football Thread

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I'm hoping we draft Shedeur. Just to see this fanbase have a meltdown.

Deion will have left college football by then and will essentially be employed as Sheduer’s defacto agent…

and he won’t let it happen.  Deion has put in way too much time and work into creating his son for him to play for Tepper.   

7 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

My goodness you and Lintrill give UNC fans a bad rep. Stop with this Howell/Maye talk these dudes are the best QBs in our history and you going around acting like we the cream of the crop. Those dudes aren't anything special. Howell is a backup in the NFL and Maye hasn't even played a game yet.

Stop talking about 2 QBs from the past it's time to focus on the now.

Yet you spam the board over a QB that isn’t even in the league. You literally are the same person that you are describing.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Deion will have left college football by then and will essentially be employed as Sheduer’s defacto agent…

and he won’t let it happen.  Deion has put in way too much time and work into creating bis son for him to play for Tepper.   

We finally have something we agree on. I'm just rooting for it to happen for my own pleasure.

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Yet you spam the board over a QB that isn’t even in the league. You literally are the same person that you are describing.

No hard feelings bro. Just saying you embarrassing non homer UNC fans. Maye/Howell were great, but in reality they are nothing special to other people. 

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

No hard feelings bro. Just saying you embarrassing non homer UNC fans. Maye/Howell were great, but in reality they are nothing special to other people. 

Not saying they are but they were good enough to at least give Carolina fans ACC title aspirations.

Coming out of HS only Jayden Daniels and Bo Nix were rated higher than Howell (Dual-Threat) and only Quinn Ewers, Caleb Williams, and Sam Huard were ranked higher than Maye (Pocket Passer).

Neither were able to lead Carolina to an ACC title though some would argue it was because UNC could never field a defense but there’s no denying that the pedigree was there for both players to at least give Carolina fans title hopes.

And my overall point was just that the UNC/Duke game isn’t as important as people are making it out to be and Duke winning isn’t that big of a deal. Historically UNC owns Duke in football especially over the past 15, 20, 30 years… however long you want to go back and my point was that Duke fans seemed to make the game bigger than it actually was. UNC is ass this year and Duke is better.

Like I said, if this is as one of those years where Carolina was fighting for a spot in the ACC Championship game and we lost to Duke then of course I’d be pissed but this year… I couldn’t care less, UNC sucks and overall the football rivalry between UNC and Duke has fallen off drastically. There’s a reason it’s no longer the last game of the season.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Not saying they are but they were good enough to at least give Carolina fans ACC title aspirations.

Coming out of HS only Jayden Daniels and Bo Nix were rated higher than Howell (Dual-Threat) and only Quinn Ewers, Caleb Williams, and Sam Huard were ranked higher than Maye (Pocket Passer).

Neither were able to lead Carolina to an ACC title though some would argue it was because UNC could never field a defense but there’s no denying that the pedigree was there for both players to at least give Carolina fans title hopes.

That's my point UNC hasn't really been great in football. Sure we had 2 great QBs recently, but we were never a threat to win the ACC. 

It's sad because we actually have the resources to be much better in football. Our next coaching hire will be big. We need to hire someone with an actual plan and someone who will take the defensive side of the ball more serious. We literally just had 70 points dropped on us from James Madison! That's a joke!

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

That's my point UNC hasn't really been great in football. Sure we had 2 great QBs recently, but we were never a threat to win the ACC. 

It's sad because we actually have the resources to be much better in football. Our next coaching hire will be big. We need to hire someone with an actual plan and someone who will take the defensive side of the ball more serious. We literally just had 70 points dropped on us from James Madison! That's a joke!

Carolina will never be consistently good in football until they get serious about NIL and they won’t unless they leave the ACC.

The only reason we still compete in basketball is because of the historical aspect of the program and the family environment which a lot of recruits just seem to fall for.

34 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Duke’s conference record since 2010: 40-74

UNC’s conference record since 2010: 59-55

This is a good point, one that I did not take into account with my previous posts. It is true that with regards to ACC play UNC-CH has been far better, even in the 2014-present timeframe there's a large gap between the two. I never meant to claim that over the past decade or so that the Heels haven't been the better program; I am more fighting back against the notion that we've been horrible.

Since 2012 the series is 6-8 in UNC-CH's favor.  An advantage, but not that large of one. We were legendarily terrible in the 90s and 00s, weren't even really a power 5 team in anything except name and historical ties. Since hiring Cutcliffe, Duke's program has undergone a substantial transformation and this has been followed by investment as well. But it takes time to go from one of the worst power 5 programs of all time into a winning one. It is mainly this perception of Duke that I believe to be unfair; we aren't that bad of a football program anymore and there have been results that show this improvement. It's been a long time since the 90s and 00s. At this point, that barely matters anymore than who won the ACC in 1963. 

Timeframes can get semantical and nitpicky. I think regardless of exact spans and all of that, it's pretty clear that the series has been much more competitive recently. Even those games UNC-CH won in 2019, 2022 and 2023 were all very competitive and came down to a few plays. It's not like y'all have just been steamrolling us.

34 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

And no where did I say UNC was competing for titles every year but at least over the past few years we haven’t been focused on just beating Duke, it’s been about making the ACC championship game. Obviously this year is different.

Perhaps I misinterpreted you earlier, I agree that making an ACC title run every so often with a Maye or Howell is a reasonable goal. But a great QB doesn't mean you have a great roster, player development seems to be where the Heels have struggled in recent times. 

Edited by beo
  • Pie 2

37 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Bro talking about UNC and Duke football rivalry. Crap like this makes me ashamed to be a UNC fan. We are so far behind in football. We think a UNC/Duke football rivalry is big news SMH

Meh, fug those greedy TV executives. I'd prefer the ACC to stay together with the NC schools even if it means we all fall behind in a sport that's increasingly coming down to "who has rich boosters willing to waste more money?". I love a good rivalry game, that Duke-Wake rain game last year when Wake sucked and we were on a 3rd stringer was very fun to me even if the quality of the play was lacking. Regional bickering is the essence of college sports. I'd hate to see a day when UNC-CH or any of the other charter member ACC schools are in a different conference.

Edited by beo

2 minutes ago, beo said:

Meh, fug those greedy TV executives. I'd prefer the ACC to stay together with the NC schools even if it means we all fall behind in a sport that's increasingly coming down to "who has rich boosters willing to waste more money?". I love a good rivalry game, that Duke-Wake rain game last year when Wake sucked and we were on a 3rd stringer was very fun to me even if the quality of the play was lacking. Regional bickering is the essence of college sports. I'd hate to see a day when UNC-CH or any of the other charter member ACC schools are in a different conference.

Maybe a move to the SEC forces UNC to be more serious about football?

I mean we should be making noise in the weak ACC and we can't even do that. How is Duke better than UNC in football right now? It's honestly sad and pathetic.

It doesn't matter if we get another great QB as you said a QB doesn't mean you have a great roster. A QB can only do so much. We lack elite guys in the trenches. That's how you build a program. It starts up front.

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

Maybe a move to the SEC forces UNC to be more serious about football?

I mean we should be making noise in the weak ACC and we can't even do that. How is Duke better than UNC in football right now? It's honestly sad and pathetic.

It doesn't matter if we get another great QB as you said a QB doesn't mean you have a great roster. A QB can only do so much. We lack elite guys in the trenches. That's how you build a program. It starts up front.

I hear you and I can imagine it's frustrating as a fan, but UNC-CH leaving the ACC would be throwing away over a century of history. It would really suck if y'all, or Clemson, or any of the other remaining charter members leave. I still think it sucks that Maryland left as well. Feels so wrong not having that rivalry anymore. Maryland fuging hated us and I loved it. Who's Maryland's rival now in the big 10? Rutgers? lol.

Also, I think that the Heels are more likely to be Kentucky 2.0 than you are to get serious about football upon joining the SEC. Both UNC (and also Duke's) administrations seem very stuck in their ways with sticking to their ways and remaining basketball powerhouses. I do wish we could see NC teams actually competing in my favorite sport sometimes but alas. I personally value keeping our history intact over trying to become top flight CFB programs because nowadays it's just a pay to win sport anyways. Even if UNC-CH got serious I doubt they could compete with that Texas oil money, or that Oregon nike money, or that USC rich kid money. That's all top level college football really is anymore. You're either an established blue blood or you're willing to waste tons of money that could be spent on education rather than football. 

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

My goodness you and Lintrill give UNC fans a bad rep. Stop with this Howell/Maye talk these dudes are the best QBs in our history and you going around acting like we the cream of the crop. Those dudes aren't anything special. Howell is a backup in the NFL and Maye hasn't even played a game yet.

Stop talking about 2 QBs from the past it's time to focus on the now.

Guess what , UNC isn't anything special in football. Yeah, Howell and Maye are the best QBs we've ever had. And those guys won a helluva lot more games than your Deion clown troop. Of all people, your bandwagon jumping ass can't be talking about any other college football fans making anything look bad.