• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 College Football Thread

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Titles has nothing to do with it and I didn’t bring up how many titles any team has won as history from 50 years ago has no bearing on a team’s aspirations from just 5 years ago. You and your Duke buddy can continue to live in the past off of some ACC title that you won 30 years ago but bottom line is over the past 10 years Carolina has been the better program and has had title aspirations appearing in two of the championship games.

Regardless of if Howell and Maye carried their teams, the thought doesn’t change that over the past few years Carolina thought they had a chance to win a title with those two at the helm and not one Carolina fan would tell you that their success hinged on beating Duke. Duke was just another game on the schedule.

Being delusional is blaming the refs for your losses when Duke is 7-28 against Carolina since the 90’s.

I get it, you’re a fan and I appreciate that.  But I want you to read your post.  You’ve been to the championship twice in 10 YEARS!  As someone said, tied with Wake Forest, do you think Wake has ACC Championships aspirations?  They just want to win a game!  Come on man, enjoy the wins you get.

6 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

Congrats!  In your mind the last decade you’ve sucked better than Duke…but still sucked!  I’ve read some posters say when UNC goes to the SEC, I just laugh!  If the SEC doesn’t want FSU or Clemson, they damn sure don’t want Duke OR UNC

You’re right… the SEC’s most respected insider and pundit, Paul Finebaum states that UNC would be the SEC’s top target should they choose to expand again but I guess it’s all smoke and mirrors and you know what’s fact and fiction since your credentials consist of… *checks notes* posting on a message board.

But back to the topic of Duke and UNC, if it’s your opinion that your team sucks if they don’t win a championship then why even watch sports… you are setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment.

2 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

You’re right… the SEC’s most respected insider and pundit, Paul Finebaum states that UNC would be the SEC’s top target should they choose to expand again but I guess it’s all smoke and mirrors and you know what’s fact and fiction 

Paul Finebaum is a clown. This dude trashed Prime a week ago, then today he goes on Nat'l tv and apologizes and says Prime might have them in the Big 12 championship lmao

These TV personalities are characters take what they say with a grain of salt.

You’re right… the SEC’s most respected insider and pundit, Paul Finebaum states that UNC would be the SEC’s top target should they choose to expand again but I guess it’s all smoke and mirrors and you know what’s fact and fiction since your credentials consist of… *checks notes* posting on a message board.

But back to the topic of Duke and UNC, if it’s your opinion that your team sucks if they don’t win a championship then why even watch sports… you are setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment.

Everything is measured in championships bro.  No im not, I don’t expect Duke to win one.  I know what we are.  I’m enjoying the hell out of 5-0, if they don’t win another game, I’m happy for what we got.

To you’re SEC dude, I’ll find the article where 16 of the SEC members have to be in agreement for any expansion and 14 have already said NO to ANY ACC school, including FSU and Clemson this why they are back at the table with negotiations with the ACC.

14 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

bottom line is over the past 10 years Carolina has been the better program and has had title aspirations appearing in two of the championship games.

Went back and calculated for you since I knew you'd probably reply with something along these lines. From what I can see, the comparison is fairly equal. Since the 2014 season, Duke has an overall record of 68-62 (.523) while UNC-CH has a record of 71-62 (.533). In that timeframe, UNC-CH has appeared in 8 bowl games with a record of 1-7 in those games. Duke has been to 6 and has a record of 5-1 in those games. While UNC has more bowl appearances, their futility in them can't be overlooked. From most objective measures UNC-CH and Duke have been pretty equal programs over the past decade. There is one caveat, that being that UNC has 2 ACCG appearances to Duke's 0, however Duke's latest ACCG appearance was in 2013 which misses the 10 year timeframe by 1 year. So I guess you could say UNC-CH has been slightly better, but if so it's not by a very noticeable margin. 

Duke buddy can continue to live in the past off of some ACC title that you won 30 years ago

That clearly wasn't the intent of bringing up the fact that Duke has won an ACC title more recently. This was to provide evidence to the notion that "UNC is competing for ACC titles every year" seems a bit silly when you haven't won one in 44 years nor do you appear in them all that frequently.

Regardless of if Howell and Maye carried their teams, the thought doesn’t change that over the past few years Carolina thought they had a chance to win a title with those two at the helm

I mean, you really think a team that is mainly being elevated by a star QB would have a chance against Bama or Clemson that has 5 stars and top flight coaching all over the roster? There's a reason UNC-CH barely broke into the top 10 when they had a record of 6-0 in 2023. Same story in 2022. Everyone knew it, including the pollsters. Except y'all, apparently. 

and not one Carolina fan would tell you that their success hinged on beating Duke. 

Of course, I never argued otherwise. Having an entire season hinge around a rivalry game is pretty pathetic, you won't find any argument from me here.

Being delusional is blaming the refs for your losses when Duke is 7-28 against Carolina since the 90’s.

Huh? A post ago, you were just saying that nothing before 2005 counted. So which is it? It seems like your timeframes are jumping around. Yeah, our record in the 90s and 00s was pretty awful. Against everyone, not just y'all. Don't think any Duke fan would argue the Ted Roof days were a golden age.

Edited by beo
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, HPPantherzfan said:

I get it, you’re a fan and I appreciate that.  But I want you to read your post.  You’ve been to the championship twice in 10 YEARS!  As someone said, tied with Wake Forest, do you think Wake has ACC Championships aspirations?  They just want to win a game!  Come on man, enjoy the wins you get.

Comparing teams that were led by Sam Howell and Drake Maye to any team Wake Forest has fielded over the past 10 years is wild. Though Hartman did his best to make Wake relevant.

Bottom line is UNC was expected to win their division and compete for an ACC Championship with those two at QB, saying otherwise is just being a Duke homer.

Carolina is obviously not the same team without an elite QB and have a long way to go to rebuild the program but to think UNC fans had Duke circled on their calendars over the past 20 years is just wrong. NCSU has essentially become Carolina’s #1 rival in football because Duke has been so bad recently.

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Paul Finebaum is a clown. This dude trashed Prime a week ago, then today he goes on Nat'l tv and apologizes and says Prime might have them in the Big 12 championship lmao

These TV personalities are characters take what they say with a grain of salt.

Finebaum has more inside intel than the majority of college pundits and honestly who gives two shits what he said about Deion. If you get butthurt because of a sports caster talking down about your favorite player/team then you might not want to step outside, the real world might be too scary and mean for you.

Comparing teams that were led by Sam Howell and Drake Maye to any team Wake Forest has fielded over the past 10 years is wild. Though Hartman did his best to make Wake relevant.

Bottom line is UNC was expected to win their division and compete for an ACC Championship with those two at QB, saying otherwise is just being a Duke homer.

Carolina is obviously not the same team without an elite QB and have a long way to go to rebuild the program but to think UNC fans had Duke circled on their calendars over the past 20 years is just wrong. NCSU has essentially become Carolina’s #1 rival in football because Duke has been so bad recently.

Until this past weekend right?

38 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

What is your goal here?

I wanna help you, but I don't know what exactly you're trying to accomplish. My only advice would be stop watching college football and block the Sanders family from your social media accounts.

Rooting against certain teams and certain players is sports 101.  

you know how many people have taken joy in hating on Dabo or Clemson losing the past several years?   That’s sports.  I don’t play dumb and pretend like I don’t understand why people hate on Dabo lmao.  

I’ll keep rooting against Deion until he follows Sheduer right on out of college football.  Which he will. 

7 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Finebaum has more inside intel than the majority of college pundits and honestly who gives two shits what he said about Deion. If you get butthurt because of a sports caster talking down about your favorite player/team then you might not want to step outside, the real world might be too scary and mean for you.

Paul Finebaum is a clown period!

12 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

My goodness you and Lintrill give UNC fans a bad rep. Stop with this Howell/Maye talk these dudes are the best QBs in our history and you going around acting like we the cream of the crop. Those dudes aren't anything special. Howell is a backup in the NFL and Maye hasn't even played a game yet.

Stop talking about 2 QBs from the past it's time to focus on the now.

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

Rooting against certain teams and certain players is sports 101.  

you know how many people have taken joy in hating on Dabo or Clemson losing the past several years?   That’s sports.  I don’t play dumb and pretend like I don’t understand why people hate on Dabo lmao.  

I’ll keep rooting against Deion until he follows Sheduer right on out of college football.  Which he will. 

I'm hoping we draft Shedeur. Just to see this fanbase have a meltdown.

3 minutes ago, beo said:

Went back and calculated for you since I knew you'd probably reply with something along these lines. From what I can see, the comparison is fairly equal. Since the 2014 season, Duke has an overall record of 68-62 (.523) while UNC-CH has a record of 71-62 (.533). In that timeframe, UNC-CH has appeared in 8 bowl games with a record of 1-7 in those games. Duke has been to 6 and has a record of 5-1 in those games. While UNC has more bowl appearances, their futility in them can't be overlooked. From most objective measures UNC-CH and Duke have been pretty equal programs over the past decade. There is one caveat, that being that UNC has 2 ACCG appearances to Duke's 0, however Duke's latest ACCG appearance was in 2013 which misses the 10 year timeframe by 1 year. So I guess you could say UNC-CH has been slightly better, but if so it's not by a very noticeable margin. 

That clearly wasn't the intent of bringing up the fact that Duke has won more recently. This was to provide evidence to the notion that "UNC is competing for ACC titles every year" seems a bit silly when you haven't won one in 44 years nor do you appear in them all that frequently.

I mean, you really think a team that is mainly being elevated by a star QB would have a chance against Bama or Clemson that has 5 stars and top flight coaching all over the roster? There's a reason UNC-CH barely broke into the top 10 when they had a record of 6-0 in 2023. Same story in 2022. Everyone knew it, including the pollsters. Except y'all, apparently. 

Of course, I never argued otherwise. Having an entire season hinge around a rivalry game is pretty pathetic, you won't find any argument from me here.

Huh? A post ago, you were just saying that nothing before 2005 counted. So which is it? It seems like your timeframes are jumping around. Yeah, our record in the 90s and 00s was pretty awful. Against everyone, not just y'all. Don't think any Duke fan would argue the Ted Roof days were a golden age.

Feel free to pick the timeframe of when and what you want to argue. It doesn’t matter as Carolina has consistently been the better program and the head to head record justifies that.

And yes Carolina has been poo in bowl games, no argument from me there. But the gap is much wider. You can’t just look at records because UNC and Duke don’t play the same schedule but you can look at their conference records.

I’m using 2010 as a reference point because this site did the majority of the math for me.

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/acc-football-teams-overall-records-in-past-five-years-189889255/amp/

Duke’s conference record since 2010: 40-74

UNC’s conference record since 2010: 59-55

Quite the big difference there…

And no where did I say UNC was competing for titles every year but at least over the past few years we haven’t been focused on just beating Duke, it’s been about making the ACC championship game. Obviously this year is different.