• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 College Football Thread

10 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Gotta trade back or it’s not worth it imo 

Trade back from what? We got about 3 months before we roughly know where we draft and where Ward is projected to go. I don't see a QB above him currently in the draft order as far as that goes

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Trade back from what? We got about 3 months before we roughly know where we draft and where Ward is projected to go. I don't see a QB above him currently in the draft order as far as that goes

Man, there are definitely QBs above him and to be honest I am not sold on any of them either.  Carson Beck has way better physical traits and Quinn Ewers is undersized as well but much more advanced as a passer.  The kid at Penn State is good…the kid at LSU has talent…there are many more players better than Ward

Edited by Shocker

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I still think we’re at best a 5 win team with this defense.  Andy isn’t scoring 40 every week 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I still think we’re at best a 5 win team with this defense.  Andy isn’t scoring 40 every week 

So true…it’s Christmas this week but no way this joy will last long.  We don’t have the talent to get cocky at all

9 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Gotta trade back or it’s not worth it imo 

Assuming we do get a high pick, why? QB is a far more important position than any other on the field, and there usually is no way to know how good one will be until he gets in the NFL and plays a few years.    Any projections made (ie this years draft class has great qb's or bad qb's) is just a guess.  So if we think a particular player has a shot, we should take it.

IMO, the if we draft them high, they have to play right away is heavily flawed.  You draft based on what you think they might be.  You play them based on what they actually are at the time they put on the uniform.  I would prefer any rookie, regardless of where they are drafted, gets worked into the starting lineup.  There are exceptions to this of course, but generally speaking, it's probably better for the team, and for them. 

44 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Assuming we do get a high pick, why? QB is a far more important position than any other on the field, and there usually is no way to know how good one will be until he gets in the NFL and plays a few years.    Any projections made (ie this years draft class has great qb's or bad qb's) is just a guess.  So if we think a particular player has a shot, we should take it.

IMO, the if we draft them high, they have to play right away is heavily flawed.  You draft based on what you think they might be.  You play them based on what they actually are at the time they put on the uniform.  I would prefer any rookie, regardless of where they are drafted, gets worked into the starting lineup.  There are exceptions to this of course, but generally speaking, it's probably better for the team, and for them. 

I'm just not drafting a project QB that high.  I think that's a pretty bad value proposition, and you're positioning yourself to have drafted the next Trey Lance.  Guys that need to be seasoned and developed before they can touch the grass of a NFL field have no business being picked at the top of the draft.

I don't have any issue with taking a guy that needs to sit in the back half of the 1st or later in the draft.  But in the first 10 picks or so, you typically have some real game changers on the board.  This team is in dire need of talent, and a premier edge rusher or WR has a much higher chance of providing year over year impact than a project QB.

Drafting on potential alone just doesn't make any sense to me.  You should play the value game in the draft and not reach on people just because you have a pipe dream that they'll be great.  Will Levis had all the tools and he fell in the draft.  On the flip side, we drafted DJ Johnson in the 3rd because the team believed he could be great, and he was projected as a 7th rounder.

If you have a decent roster and a QB falls in your lap in the 1st, then by all means take them.  But if you've got one of the worst rosters in the NFL (which we do), I think drafting a project QB with your top 10 pick is insane.

8 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I'm just not drafting a project QB that high.  I think that's a pretty bad value proposition, and you're positioning yourself to have drafted the next Trey Lance.  Guys that need to be seasoned and developed before they can touch the grass of a NFL field have no business being picked at the top of the draft.

I don't have any issue with taking a guy that needs to sit in the back half of the 1st or later in the draft.  But in the first 10 picks or so, you typically have some real game changers on the board.  This team is in dire need of talent, and a premier edge rusher or WR has a much higher chance of providing year over year impact than a project QB.

Drafting on potential alone just doesn't make any sense to me.  You should play the value game in the draft and not reach on people just because you have a pipe dream that they'll be great.  Will Levis had all the tools and he fell in the draft.  On the flip side, we drafted DJ Johnson in the 3rd because the team believed he could be great, and he was projected as a 7th rounder.

If you have a decent roster and a QB falls in your lap in the 1st, then by all means take them.  But if you've got one of the worst rosters in the NFL (which we do), I think drafting a project QB with your top 10 pick is insane.

I’m kind of on the same page. Unless some QB completely blows them away and is sitting there when we pick I’d take a high impact player first. If that LSU QB or Allar is there in round 2 then I’d consider taking one of them. If not just roll with a bridge vet. This can absolutely change depending on how the college season goes though. 

11 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I’m not drafting a guy to sit in the top 10.  Take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd for that.

We could draft a QB 1st overall in 2025 and I’d want him to sit a year 

Bring back Dalton and let him watch Dalton play a year 

Mahomes went 10th overall. He sat. I think the Pats are doing it the right way with Maye sitting.