• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson's Legacy?

The team and some fans go on and on and on about Shaqs leadership but this team has quit so many times during the last decade. Like visibly just called it a day mid game and took their womping smiling on the sideline. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I don't know what kind of legacy he will leave behind when he exits the team but he put in a hard days work and always played to the best of his ability from what I see. I don't think he took plays off or ever heard much negative about his attitude or work ethic so to me he will be remembered as an alumni who played hard for the team and seemed to be committed to this organization no matter if he was an all pro or not. Like him or not a team needs guys like him. Hard working team players who just got out and do their job without being a distraction or a hindrance to the team as a unit

• Pie 1

You gotta give him his due. Which as I see it doesn't get him up as high as these other great players we've had but he deserves the respect of fans because he has been a good Panther for many years.  

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:36 AM, t96 said:

Yeah exactly. Drafts don't typically have 2 rounds of long term starters, I didn't even go back and look at that draft but knowing Shaq is still a starter in this league nearly a decade later alone made it completely absurd to suggest he'd be late 3rd in a re-draft (so would need more like 85 players better than him not 64...). Shaq didn't turn out to be quite what we expected nor did he continue our streak of having incredibly elite LBs here in Carolina, but he was not a bad pick at all for a late 1st. In a redraft, without going through every player in that draft, I'd imagine he'd be at worst early/mid 2nd. Hell he may even still be late 1st, where he was taken.

If you look up the 2015 Draft on Pro Football Reference and sort by Weighted AV, he would be(so far) the 33rd best player in the draft.

So, basically very slightly less valuable than where he was drafted.

That's probably about accurate.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/draft.htm

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I don't know what kind of legacy he will leave behind when he exits the team but he put in a hard days work and always played to the best of his ability from what I see. I don't think he took plays off or ever heard much negative about his attitude or work ethic so to me he will be remembered as an alumni who played hard for the team and seemed to be committed to this organization no matter if he was an all pro or not. Like him or not a team needs guys like him. Hard working team players who just got out and do their job without being a distraction or a hindrance to the team as a unit

I can say this about Shaq. Always did his job and never complained. He stuck around, and we haven’t been good at all. I’m sure he could’ve been went to a contender and helped out, so he’ll always get props from me for that 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, AggieLean said:

I can say this about Shaq. Always did his job and never complained. He stuck around, and we haven’t been good at all. I’m sure he could’ve been went to a contender and helped out, so he’ll always get props from me for that 

Honestly, of his era, there haven't been many good players we have kept around. 

We are probably a couple of players away from him being the best player we have drafted and retained from 2015 and onward.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Over drafted.  Injury prone. Workout warrior.  JAG    Sucks he is hurt but I won’t miss him. 

Well damn you had the guts to say what most think, but are afraid to say.

You sir are a man of the people!

Shaq was talented, but that talent didn't always show on the field. He should have been our next TD he failed. Wish him well but he won't be missed.

Poo me up I can handle it.

• Poo 1

7 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Well damn you had the guts to say what most think, but are afraid to say.

You sir are a man of the people!

Shaq was talented, but that talent didn't always show on the field. He should have been our next TD he failed. Wish him well but he won't be missed.

Poo me up I can handle it.

Yeah that’s why I said workout warrior. I can’t think of a single game changing play that he made. Mills made them.  Morgan made them. Spoon made them. Beason did. TD did. Luke was him. Shaq was just an athlete with mid football IQ. He played both sides of the ball at Washington because he was an athlete. That talent just didn’t translate. We didn’t move on becasue we didn’t have any other options. 

Edited by Panthers Fan 69

He's part of the Panthers hall of "he was alright".  Good starter, not a huge liability (although he shoulder tackled way too much), as long as he was here he was never the guy you had to gameplan for, but also never a guy you would worry wouldnt pull his own weight.  His leadership will be missed, but his skills on the field are replaceable.