• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson's Legacy?

13 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Looking back, I don't think there are 64 players better than Shaq in that draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NFL_draft

Some made pro bowls like once but have been JAGs the rest of their careers and bounced around the league or are out of it now. I'd take Shaq over the likes of Vic Beasley, Laken Tomlinson, Jameis Winston or DJ Humphries - All pro bowlers at one point but not better than Shaq has been over the course of his career imo.

As would I. Beasley.  It’s hard for me to hate him, even though I (we all) should. he’s a good Adairsville man. He’s local to me. He killed our undefeated season and showed the Broncos the roadmap. Why can’t the panthers ever win in the ATL?

There is a long line of players overdrafted that I wouldn’t take for shaq either. I wouldn’t take Vic for him. My point is that he was overdrafted for where he was actually selected, judging by his year over year production. I have been longing to see out of Shaq the high gear that Luvu showed last season. Shaq balled out against the Cowboys one game that I will be eternally grateful for. He was an animal that game. 

My hope and expectation was to have Thomas Davis like production once he assumed the throne. IMHO, we never saw it. 

14 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

As would I. Beasley.  It’s hard for me to hate him, even though I (we all) should. he’s a good Adairsville man. He’s local to me. He killed our undefeated season and showed the Broncos the roadmap. Why can’t the panthers ever win in the ATL?

There is a long line of players overdrafted that I wouldn’t take for shaq either. I wouldn’t take Vic for him. My point is that he was overdrafted for where he was actually selected, judging by his year over year production. I have been longing to see out of Shaq the high gear that Luvu showed last season. Shaq balled out against the Cowboys one game that I will be eternally grateful for. He was an animal that game. 

My hope and expectation was to have Thomas Davis like production once he assumed the throne. IMHO, we never saw it. 

He was a late 1st round selection. I can't say he was overdrafted relative to the talent surrounding him in that draft. He was taken roughly where he deserved to be taken, maybe a little later and in the early to mid 2nd, but that's splitting hairs at that point.

We all hoped he would be the second coming of TD, but TD is a rare breed that took a good long while to actually become the TD we know and love thanks to a position switch and injuries. TD had become TD at Shaq's current age, but Shaq is no slouch and he's been a rock and leader for the defense through the worst stretch in our franchise's history.

You just have to respect a guy so loyal to the sinking ship.

• Pie 4

I have immense respect for Shaq, especially for sticking through as one of the very few who stuck it out to fill the leadership void in the hostile takeover that was selling the team. His drive is unquestioned. His leadership is unquestioned. I think his injuries played a more substantial role than realized. Heck of man. Never complains or dogs on any of his teammates. 

TD is godlike. Folklore. Our enforcer. Pseudo goon. Agent 58. Tough act to follow. 

• Pie 2

Ive gone rounds with posters about Shaq.

Jaguars came into the league at the same time as panthers , once Shaq finishes this year, he would be the best MLB in their history. 

Shaq is very good and happens to be on a team that their strength in history has been MLBers. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Beer 1

We've been fortunate to have some great off ball LBers in our day. Morgan, Na'il Diggs, Sam Mills, Witherspoon, Beason, Davis, James Anderson, Kuechly, and Thompson. Shaq definitely belongs in that list albeit more towards the bottom of it

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin
  • Pie 2

44 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

We've been fortunate to have some great off ball LBers in our day. Morgan, Na'il Diggs, Sam Mills, Witherspoon, Beason, Davis, James Anderson, Kuechly, and Thompson. Shaq definitely belongs in that list albeit more towards the bottom of it

Dont forget Michael Barrow and Luvu. Those guys had identical careers here. 

Kuechy, Greene, Davis, Beason, Lathon, Mills, Witherspoon, Barrow, Luvu, Morgan. I would put these guys over Thompson.

Edited by KillerKat
  • Pie 1

For me Kuechly, Davis, Beason, Morgan, Barrow and Mills were all CLEARLY better LB'ers for the Panthers than Shaq.  It's very hard to get excited about a guy who at max is the seventh best LB in team history.

Who is the seventh best QB in team history?  The seventh best WR?  The seventh best CB?

He's been a starter for his whole career in the NFL, and would have been so at any team in the league.    He's been a good ambassador for the team.  Never causing trouble, never being a distraction. He just doesn't rise to the level of other players at the position in our past.

• Poo 1

Like @Ricky Spanish, @pantherclaw and several others have said, he's a good player.  He's just not on the Luke/TD level.  We have been spoiled at the MLB position for decades.  Look at the run through Sam Mill, Dan Morgan, Jon Beason, TD/Luke...  God that's insane.  Those are all great players that elevated the teams around them.

Shaq is about 80% them on his best days.  Good, solid, dependable player.  Will make a few splash plays but he doesn't take over a game.  People that call him a JAG are really just spoiled by the wealth of LBs we've had over the decades here.  Shaq is good, but not great.  And that's OK.  Every player you draft can't be a GOAT/All Pro/HOF material guy.  Sometimes they become the glue that keeps everything together.

I appreciate Shaq for who he is.  I'm glad we have him, and it will be interesting to see what his future holds.

• Beer 1

Shaq's legacy was sealed his rookie season when he busted out, "F*ck the Seahawks" in an interview. He's a Panther through and through and for whatever reason has been loyal to this awful franchise.

Anyone saying he's a JAG or average is either spoiled by our team having some all time great LBs or just not very smart. He's a solid, way better than average LB and will be remembered fondly because non-message board nerd fans could not care less about draft position or salaries.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Dont forget Michael Barrow and Luvu. Those guys had identical careers here. 

Kuechy, Greene, Davis, Beason, Lathon, Mills, Witherspoon, Barrow, Luvu, Morgan. I would put these guys over Thompson.

I love me some Witherspoon. Not sure I could agree though. 

• Pie 1