• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson's Legacy?

5 hours ago, PantherBoy95 said:

I'm just curious to see how Shaq Thompson is viewed amongst fans for his tenure with the org.
I'd seen someone say he's the last of the 'Keep Pounding Era', and Shaq has definitely had longevity and some bright moments here. 

What say you? How would you define his career as a Panther?

Mediocrity. 

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Shaq Thompson would be a starting linebacker on all 32 of them. Right now, and for the last couple of seasons (and sadly last year was cut very short), he directs traffic in our defensive scheme. He's excellent at it.

Sadly, he doesn't get much credit from our fan base because, well, Carolina has consistently had THE best linebackers in the game for 4-3 defensive schemes since the early 2000s. Honestly, probably back to their start when you consider the Hall of Famers that have lined up for us back then. But in recent memory alone, Shaq has been compared to Luke and Thomas Davis. Those were his teachers, his team mates and they left mighty big shoes. 

Luke will go down as the greatest linebacker to play the game. It is a tragedy that injuries cut his career short. TD, on the other hand, is the template for recuperating and rehabbing athletic injuries -- the man had the knees of Wolverine, and the on-field demeanor to match.

Shaq has been excellent for us for years, but he is probably nearing the end of his playing days, just because of his longevity. Quit downplaying his importance. He's not in the dark, he's just been standing in the shadows of giants.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

Solid LB for many years and I don't think you can find a player that is more dedicated to a team than Shaq.  He restructured multiple times and even took less money to stay with the Panthers.  

• Beer 1

This fan base has no idea how to judge a good linebacker.  This franchise has been SPOILED with great linebackers.  

Shaq is a very good linebacker. A great teammate, and a great leader. 

Unfortunately for him, he came on when we had Luke and Thomas Davis.  

He's not HOF'r but he absolutely has been a damn good linebacker for this team and is more than worth the spot where he was drafted. 

• Beer 1

40 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

This is the stupidest post in the thread. Congratulations.  

Thanks. You must’ve missed all the other posts saying he’s avg but go off I guess 

• Pie 2

Solid, serviceable, quality, good.  All appropriate terms for Shaq.

Unfortunately he never measured up to his predecessors Luke or TD.  That’s not a knock as they are 2 Panthers Legends. 

Shaq will be viewed more fondly when he’s gone as is the case for a lot of our former players.

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

JAG+ 

Will Witherspoon-ish with stronger leadership qualities. 

Likable guy, redraft would have been a late 3rd rounder, probably. 

lol dude you are absolutely high if you believe this.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

On 8/28/2024 at 1:18 PM, Ricky Spanish said:

Shaq is a pro-bowl caliber player (even if he hasn't made one yet, like Moton) and absolutely worth where he was drafted. Anyone who stays with the team that drafted them for a decade across multiple coaching changes is not a bad player.

He's not as good as Luke or TD, but they were All-Pro caliber LBers and he had to step up and fill their shoes. He's done admirably and I have grown to appreciate him for who he is as a player, and not who he isn't (Luke or TD).

Isa mic drop

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, t96 said:

lol dude you are absolutely high if you believe this.

Hallucinations don’t normally start until later. Gotta get the mixture right as pool road players used to say. 

I don’t recall a game that we won because Shaq took a game over and wrecked shop. There may have been one, I’m sure there was, but I can’t recall. Was he ever an all pro? I honestly can’t recall. Did he have a run of first team probowl selections? 

He had heart. I love the dude and almost bought his jersey, but nobody had to game plan around Shaq. Leader, no question. This is why he’s not just a jag, he plays well, he makes plays, but he’s not a DUDE. A closer. Someone offensive coordinators stay awake thinking about.

Playmaker? Yes. Game changer? Unfortunately, I feel like he has always left us wanting to see more. He’s a JAG+. 

Just my $.02

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Hallucinations don’t normally start until later. Gotta get the mixture right as pool road players used to say. 

I don’t recall a game that we won because Shaq took a game over and wrecked shop. There may have been one, I’m sure there was, but I can’t recall. Was he ever an all pro? I honestly can’t recall. Did he have a run of first team probowl selections? 

He had heart. I love the dude and almost bought his jersey, but nobody had to game plan around Shaq. Leader, no question. This is why he’s not just a jag, he plays well, he makes plays, but he’s not a DUDE. A closer. Someone offensive coordinators stay awake thinking about.

Playmaker? Yes. Game changer? Unfortunately, I feel like he has always left us wanting to see more. He’s a JAG+. 

Just my $.02

Looking back, I don't think there are 64 players better than Shaq in that draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NFL_draft

Some made pro bowls like once but have been JAGs the rest of their careers and bounced around the league or are out of it now. I'd take Shaq over the likes of Vic Beasley, Laken Tomlinson, Jameis Winston or DJ Humphries - All pro bowlers at one point but not better than Shaq has been over the course of his career imo.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2