• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson's Legacy?

11 minutes ago, AceMan said:

I consider James Anderson a better overall LB for the Panthers than Shaq Thompson ever was.  

Unfortunately, I actually will remember Shaq as an “ok” linebacker that started the wave of HORRIBLE drafts that ruined the Panthers. 

Him being on the team so long isn’t egregious like Ian Thomas or Brenton Bersin, but he should remembered as a player that was drafted to be elite (and replace Thomas Davis), yet only ended up as an average LB.  Very likeable person though.

Fair. I meant the comparison basically in terms of them being JAG starters. They check the box. They're not major plusses nor are they major liabilities (unless they're one of your best players or being way overpaid). We were right to let Anderson walk. We dumbly paid Shaq.

• Beer 2

55 minutes ago, Coheed said:

Good but not great, doesn’t help that the size of the shoes he had to fill were absolutely massive.

this is.

but will also say he is not retiring today. a “legacy making” season may be right around the corner. 

If hes at the helm when we make a miracle run this year I think his legacy is different than if he retired yesterday. 

Edited by Turtle

2 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Good player, but was never a difference maker.  I thought he was an absolutely terrible draft pick.

Preston Smith and Bryon Jones were my 1A and 1B in that draft after DJ Humphries went right in front of us. I did NOT want Shaq. It was less about the player and more about the need. We have a bad history of using premium picks on ho hum prospects at positions where we have minimal immediate need. I don't believe in picking for need, but need has to he factored into the equation. If you have similarly rated prospects but one plays a position of dire need and the other plays a position where he would definitely be relegated to a backup role for the foreseeable future, IMO that's an easy decision to make.

Tier 1 -Luke, TD, Mills

Tier 2- Morgan, Beason 

Tier 3 - Shaq, Anderson, Spoon, Lathon

*didn't include Greene as he only played 4-3 LB one year.  But he was awesome every year that year like the rest.  I consider him more an edge player and belongs on that one. 

• Pie 3

He's ok.  Overpaid and seems to disappear at times.  But serviceable and seems to be a good locker room guy.  Though I am interested to see how he does in this defense since we didn't get to see it last year.

• Pie 1

Solid play and overpayed in 2019. He is forgettable, like TD's shadow that never became what was hyped. Played out of position some and played on some really bad teams / poorly coached Ds. 

9 years of play: 3 ints, 4 FF, 4 FR, 717 tackles (79.6 year avg) and 12 sacks. Late 1st guy? Meh ok. Solid and forgettable.

• Pie 1

very solid starting backer. Probably was never worth that first extension he got , but the man clearly wants to be here. Seems like a great locker room guy too. Would be awesome if he could see the Playoffs with us one more time before he goes away. Hope he's one of the Thomas Davis/Steve Smith types who stick around Charlotte and are active after they retire.

• Pie 1

If there's one position this franchise had been rich in terms of quality players, it's linebackers. For me, Shaq was the beginning of the regression back to the mean. Don't get me wrong. He's still an above average player but it used to be that he would've been a great compliment to a great unit rather than the best player surrounded by meh.