• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson's Legacy?

I'm just curious to see how Shaq Thompson is viewed amongst fans for his tenure with the org.
I'd seen someone say he's the last of the 'Keep Pounding Era', and Shaq has definitely had longevity and some bright moments here. 

What say you? How would you define his career as a Panther?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Shaq is a cool guy and leader but imo he never lived up to the hype or draft position.

He was a solid starter in his time here, but never a game changer. 

4 minutes ago, Coheed said:

Good but not great, doesn’t help that the size of the shoes he had to fill were absolutely massive.

To both of these points I also wonder with his hybrid/athletic persona coming out of college what he would've done with better coaches and teams around him.

A team where he's not looked to be the anchor and can just roam around free to make plays.

16 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Shaq is a cool guy and leader but imo he never lived up to the hype or draft position.

He was a solid starter in his time here, but never a game changer. 

Can't argue with this.

Although when he was drafted was basically the beginning of the end of the era of some of our best core of starters in franchise history. We've been stuck in neutral ever since. Not surprising he's had an uphill battle carving out a distinct legacy amongst his peers through all that.

• Pie 3

Makes a lot of tackles, misses a lot of tackles. Doesnt really cover that well. Blockable, out of position a lot. Hasnt been as terrible as other LBs but hasnt been as great as his draft hype. Average to good starter on years where that was the ceiling for players on the team. Also, lets face it, had to stay because everyone else around him was new.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Shaq is a pro-bowl caliber player (even if he hasn't made one yet, like Moton) and absolutely worth where he was drafted. Anyone who stays with the team that drafted them for a decade across multiple coaching changes is not a bad player.

He's not as good as Luke or TD, but they were All-Pro caliber LBers and he had to step up and fill their shoes. He's done admirably and I have grown to appreciate him for who he is as a player, and not who he isn't (Luke or TD).

This exactly!

I consider James Anderson a better overall LB for the Panthers than Shaq Thompson ever was.  

Unfortunately, I actually will remember Shaq as an “ok” linebacker that started the wave of HORRIBLE drafts that ruined the Panthers. 

Him being on the team so long isn’t egregious like Ian Thomas or Brenton Bersin, but he should remembered as a player that was drafted to be elite (and replace Thomas Davis), yet only ended up as an average LB.  Very likeable person though.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1