• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Waiver Claims

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Still obsessed

Dave is going to run fox ball in 2024.

Dan is looking for mid-2010s Seahawk CBs.

A piece of wisdom old Danny boy, leave the defense decisions up to evero. That's why he's paided like a HC...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Basbear said:

Coker?

ISM?? that one hurt me some

So did Lee, whom that have not signed to the PS

Coker is too slow for me but maybe he’ll get a PS spot.  I thought we needed an upgrade to ISM but he was solid.  Personally don’t get bringing Plummer back to the PS but maybe his uncle is in the front office or something 

Just now, Shocker said:

Coker is too slow for me but maybe he’ll get a PS spot.  I thought we needed an upgrade to ISM but he was solid.  Personally don’t get bringing Plummer back to the PS but maybe his uncle is in the front office or something 

ISM was one of the few that played hard the whole disaster 23 season. He was the clear best returner both kicks and punts. Had a role as a #4 and trick plays ala jet sweeps. He was cheap and young too.

I liked Lee and thought how hard it is to find just one LT and thought he had the goods.  

• Pie 1

At the end of the day, are we better? 

OFFENSE

OL: Yes.  because we dumped Mays and got Kingston.  Mason Brooks (not Anderson) is on the PS.  This makes me feel that they are on the right track.  I watched the OL carefully, and even though Anderson was getting the high PFF scores, I did state that Brooks seemed better.  Apparently, they saw something too.

TE: No. because we cut Matthews, but we have signed some PS TEs, including Matthews.

RB:  No change.

WR: No.  Losing Smith-Marsette and Coker while keeping Moore is not groovy.

Analysis:  The offense made some sacrifices to address weaknesses on defense.  It looks as though "less is more" on offense, carrying 23 active players into game 1 vs. the defense which appears to have 27.

DEFENSE

DT: No change, really, but I was surprised to see Crumedy make the roster--they have 3 guys to play one spot, and there are times when they put Brown at DT to bring in an extra edge at DE on passing downs.  I have to think they will allow Crumedy to be the fourth DE as well.  T J Smith and Palmore on the PS played well at times during the preseason.

DE:  No change.  Brown never comes off the field, and Ray and Robinson are part of the rotation.  I have to believe that they feel a DT could play DE in a pinch.

ILB: Yes.  Rhattigan is mainly a special teamer, but Mike Jackson calls him a "dawg".  He should be better than Wooten, who is on the PS. Three ILBs behind the veteran Thompson (30) and Jewell (29) is probably smart.

CB: Yes.  Not sure how it will unfold, but what I have read about all of these players, they were playing "lights out" and their former team's fans wanted them on the roster.  The guys we cut?  Not so much.  They seem to have a type, and I really like the skills I have seen in brief glimpses at video.  I doubt the four CBs we added will join the three starters we have, but there are situations that require a nickel and three corners.  Sometimes you need a big nickel--but the main reason I think this is when asked during the press conference about being worried about the CB room, Canales replied quickly, "Not now!"  The CB overkill probably cost Smith-Marsette or Coker a roster spot.

S:  I think Lonnie Johnson was brought in for his special teams abilities and versatility--he has played both CB and S.  I wonder if this means Franklin or Jammie are gone when he heals. Are we better at Safety?  Maybe slightly if Lonnie becomes a safety.

Analysis:  Corner was a train wreck--they know how fragile Horn is and their other starting CB is on IR.  Mike Jackson is not a long-term answer at CB.  Troy Hill is old.  Having said that, they have made the roster lopsided toward the defense in order to create a competition.  They new CBs have one thing in common--their teams did not want to part with them.  Maybe they are throwing them against the wall to see who sticks, but we were certain to suck without this move....The special teamer at LB will impact the game more than Wooten would have.  I also think the Sheriff could be a hidden gem.  I watched some tape on him, and he holds the edge better than I figured and he has multiple pass moves. Solid depth, special teams abilities. 

Overall: We got better, but not on the surface.  I believe if Canales was interested in winning 7 games this year, he would have brought in more veterans.  Instead, he brought in players his staff can develop.  In the past, veteran rentals kept our youth from developing, imo. These young players will get coached up and have opportunities--that is all you ask for.  For example, if we brought in Stephen Gilmore, we would be filling a need, but denying an opportunity.  If we signed KJ Henry, a player who has been given opportunities and has underperformed, is it possible that they see something special in Sheriff that might indicate a higher ceiling?  Maybe he has made more of the opportunities he has been given than Henry?  I don't know, but it was an odd decision and I am sure there was a reason.  Bottom line? We filled a few depth issues and we gave ourselves a change to improve at CB.

To me, this was like drafting 5-7 in the draft twice.  Not going to make a huge difference, but their approach is healthy and should benefit the team in the long run.

OLB/Edge: Yes.  Sheriff is

DE:

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 7

20 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Coker was this year's camp hero, Zod/Igo used to have them every year and every year they got cut. This kid runs great routes and has great hands. His father says the plan is for him to be back on the practice squad tomorrow. But it is not going to hurt us or come back to bite us, because in the end he is a slow, UDFA who needs to adjust to the change in talent level. He wouldn't get significant minutes for anyone in the league as is. 

Yeah, I think some are kinda blowing him up like David Gettis, whom I appreciated, but he was easily replaceable.

Edited by TD alt
  • Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Dave is going to run fox ball in 2024.

Dan is looking for mid-2010s Seahawk CBs.

A piece of wisdom old Danny boy, leave the defense decisions up to evero. That's why he's paided like a HC...

Do you really believe Evero didn’t have any input? 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1