• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young gets votes for one of the most underrated QBs in the NFL by his peers

X-Clown

56 minutes ago, CRA said:

yep.  

We were the best spot of all the rookie QBs.  Playoffs weren't crazy.  Well rounded team.  Strong coaches.  Expectations going in were way higher than this year. 

Both these statements can be true, and it is how things transpired last season.  There has never been more of a mismatch between how the roster was presented to the fanbase vs. what it actually was than last year.  

Fitterer deserved to be fired solely for trading up for a QB with the actual state of the roster.  Personally, I think Tepper's meddling and impulsiveness led to the front office making promises to Tepper (and the fanbase) that were wildly unrealistic.

As someone who has worked in sales for 20+ years, I can attest how easy it is to sign up for unrealistic results when you have an overbearing boss.  However easy it might be in the moment, it never, ever ends well.

We have never, ever been gaslit like that about the state of the team before last season.  Especially the coaching staff piece, which turned out to be the biggest joke of all time.  I bought into it- I think a lot of people did.

In retrospect, the coaching staff had no cohesive plan, the offensive line was a disaster (both through injuries and just sucking), and our receivers were a joke outside of Theilen.  Our TE's were equally atrocious.  We looked utterly unprepared on offense almost every game.

Going back to the sales analogy, you're taught early on (or should be) to underpromise & overdeliver... the exact opposite happened last year.  I hope we don't repeat those mistakes again.

• Pie 1

On 8/29/2024 at 3:50 PM, strato said:

Oh man, I am laughing like hell in my mind and some out loud.  

It went so quickly from we are a QB away from the playoffs to the whole team is bad it's not the QB's fault. 

Yeah, but unfortunately they traded away the only playmaking WR and replaced him with a possession guy. Released the workhorse back that perfectly fit the offensive philosophy. The oline took a major friggin nose dive, granted it was mostly due to injury. I mean they went from a solid 8 to a shaky 4. No one expected that. And the coaches had no clue what scheme they wanted to run. Still think Reich should have stuck with his mesh concept and just added more presnap motion. 

This team wasn't a QB away. That's some BS narrative every team with 7 or more wins says. The TEs were (if you don't have anything good to say...). The oline was supposedly the saving grace, but they were (see above quotations). The receiving corp was mediocre, even with DJ Moore. Without him... The running backs were good enough with Foreman in that scheme. Without him... The 2022 Panthers were a lot closer to a QB away than the 2023 team. If that makes sense. 

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Yeah, but unfortunately they traded away the only playmaking WR and replaced him with a possession guy. Released the workhorse back that perfectly fit the offensive philosophy. The oline took a major friggin nose dive, granted it was mostly due to injury. I mean they went from a solid 8 to a shaky 4. No one expected that. And the coaches had no clue what scheme they wanted to run. Still think Reich should have stuck with his mesh concept and just added more presnap motion. 

This team wasn't a QB away. That's some BS narrative every team with 7 or more wins says. The TEs were (if you don't have anything good to say...). The oline was supposedly the saving grace, but they were (see above quotations). The receiving corp was mediocre, even with DJ Moore. Without him... The running backs were good enough with Foreman in that scheme. Without him... The 2022 Panthers were a lot closer to a QB away than the 2023 team. If that makes sense. 

yeah. I was a Wilks guy and not an offense guru guy, but thought I understood the Reich hire. Was not a trade up guy even 1 percent and not a Bryce Young guy one little bit, once the trade was committed. I use committed because it was a crime. 

My comments were directed at the majority. And David Tepper too. Media, fans, most of both were crowing about the whole thing and we were that one player away - it was insufferable here if you doubted - and it went from that to they all suck except Bryce at the speed of light... same people talking mostly. They still are on the job about it too. 

Even so, I think Canales is going be a good to great hire. I was never on the keep up with the Jones mindset of get a play caller to be head coach so probably wrong abut that one but it is early. 

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

He might have 60 or 70 yards against our D.

Not sure I'd go that far. But he'd have 2 less interceptions and no sacks since our D cannot cover or apply pressure . . .