• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young gets votes for one of the most underrated QBs in the NFL by his peers

X-Clown

1 minute ago, frankw said:

That first home game against the Saints when Steve Cam and the rest of the guys let them know what time it is and we weren't going to be anyone's doormat was a defining moment that nearly brought a tear to my eye.

when he ran over that corner back from washington my jaw hit the floor

• Flames 1

20 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Cams bombs to steve smith against arizona in game one made me a believer from the jump.  You just knew he was the franchise at that point

My expectations were low going into week 1 of that year, but he was sensational.  It was unbelievable.

• Pie 4

19 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

edibles is where its at my brother

This might be the first thing you've ever said that I fully agree with... but you are 100% correct on this.

Dealing with 3 kids & my favorite sports team being an embarrassment for 6 years & counting... it's definitely a necessity...

• Pie 2

This is the year for Bryce to live up to his draft status.  Players, coaches, (hell anyone with eyeballs and knows football) knows last year's situation was impossible for anyone to succeed in.  And not just the QB, although it was the obvious focal point due to the trade-up.

Listen to the interview with Cam Jordan... players (& agents & coaches & executives around the league know what a mess the Panthers organization has been...

As a fanbase, the QB is the lightning rod (and deservedly so for what they get paid & the praise they receive when the team is winning), but to place 6+ years of organizational failure by Tepper at the feet of a rookie QB was and remains stupid IMHO.

That being said, the NFL is Not For Long, and nobody cares about what's fair or not in the long run.  Bryce was picked #1... you either live up to that or you don't...

Bryce needs to be better this year, but it's not just him.  This organization needs to be better from the top down.  And we all hope that starts with Tepper leaving football solely to the football people.

The Panthers have had some bad seasons in our existence, but last year was unequivocally the lowest point in franchise history in terms of organizational dysfunction...  I was here for 2001 & 2010.  Those were bad seasons, but they truthfully didn't feel as hopeless as last year did (and in 2010 we knew we would be in the running for Andrew Luck or Cam Newton).

And for all the crap we (rightfully) give Matt Rhule, never did we look as uninspired & unprepared as we did last year during whatever the Frank Reich Era was...  Those 11 games will remain the most bizarre chapter in Panthers history...

Honestly, Canales has been a breath of fresh air so far, but no one gives a poo (and rightfully so) about anything other than winning.

The Panthers have made a lot of big moves (not just the Bryce trade-up), and most, if not all, have looked bad up until this point.  That's the reality.  We are the laughingstock of the NFL right now.  It sucks, but only winning and not being ass will fix this issue.

I personally hope BY9 proves people wrong, and I think he can.  But the proof is in the result on the field.

I'm willing to give a complete mulligan for last year b/c I've never seen anything like that in terms of dysfunction, but Bryce will not be the unquestioned starter going into next year if he doesn't improve (along with the rest of the team) this year.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

So much there, cherry picking just a couple of things:

the second part in your 3rd paragraph, I don't think people are blaming 6 years on Bryce Young. My view might be he is the ultimate manifestation of the 6 years of dysfunction. I hope it was the ultimate. 

We know who the bad guy is. My opinion is that Bryce was simply the wrong decision it isn't personal. 

Paragraphs 6 and 7, totally agree. 

Paragraph 8

In short, I like Canales and think he is going to be better than people thought. Think. It is changing already.

Overall..

Even me, a skeptic, expects improvement to be obvious in Young. I actually think he hits close to his ceiling and we'll really have an issue then. We'll see where it goes. 

• Beer 1

On 8/28/2024 at 11:43 AM, Icege said:

There's criticism and then there's chronic invalidation. I can't think of any reasonable person that didn't acknowledge that Bryce's size was an area of concern going into the draft. The mention of narcissism comes from the fact that there are other data points such as his game film that address some of the criticisms but those rebuttals are willfully dismissed/ignored. When called out on their behavior, as has been done here, narcissists will appeal to emotion and avoid responsibility for their own chosen actions. 

For example: Bryce's deep ball. There's plenty of tape from his final college season showing him hitting WRs downfield 40+ yards accurately. That's still something that he can do. However, we've got a bunch of posters that claim Bryce's arm suddenly can't make that same throw in the NFL? You yourself are on the record here claiming his arm strength is "bottom-tier" in the NFL and that "Bryce doesn't have the arm strength to make throws any longer than they absolutely need to be." Most reasonable folks will agree that he doesn't have elite arm strength but they will acknowledge that he has an average NFL arm (at the least, NFL coaches and players do). Are you being honest about your actions, or are you exaggerating victimhood?

saying he can throw the ball 40 yards in college or anywhere for that matter has really nothing to do with if he has the adequate enough arm strength to deliver the ball with enough velocity / speed . the NFL it's all about speed & you beat / counter the  speed of the defenders  with more  speed on the ball

• Beer 1

53 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

This is the year for Bryce to live up to his draft status.  Players, coaches, (hell anyone with eyeballs and knows football) knows last year's situation was impossible for anyone to succeed in.  And not just the QB, although it was the obvious focal point due to the trade-up.

Don't know it's different yet.  Going into last season, the narrative was much different in real time. 

On 8/28/2024 at 11:24 AM, Jackie Lee said:

Exactly my thoughts lol. Narcissism? That would be more like Big Kat posting pictures of his condo pool or bragging about where he's sitting in the stadium, not people sharing their opinions on the quality of our qb play lol. 

Big Kat catching strays for what lol.

On 8/28/2024 at 9:56 AM, CRA said:

might not even be a true 7 players.  It's weighted.  So I think if I was Taylor Moton or someone voted Bryce as the most underrated he automatically is now at 3 points/votes.  So basically 3 people could get him 7 votes if I understand it right

Where are you getting that from?

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

Don't know it's different yet.  Going into last season, the narrative was much different in real time. 

Oh man, I am laughing like hell in my mind and some out loud.  

It went so quickly from we are a QB away from the playoffs to the whole team is bad it's not the QB's fault. 

• Beer 2

7 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Where are you getting that from?

article said it was weighted votes.  So if you voted someone #1 on your list they get 3.  The 3rd place person gets a 1. 

• Beer 2

Just now, strato said:

Oh man, I am laughing like hell in my mind and some out loud.  

It went so quickly from we are a QB away from the playoffs to the whole team is bad it's not the QB's fault. 

yep.  

We were the best spot of all the rookie QBs.  Playoffs weren't crazy.  Well rounded team.  Strong coaches.  Expectations going in were way higher than this year. 

• Pie 3