• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young gets votes for one of the most underrated QBs in the NFL by his peers

X-Clown

That's cool I guess. I'd really like to see comeback player of the year for him if he's being voted for anything personally. What's that old saying? Just win baby.

Well it didn't take long for this thread to turn into two factions shouting at each other. Just a heads up to the "I'm a better fan than you" crowd. The harder some of you guys try to police the fanbase like you keep a big ass Punisher sticker somewhere on your car the worse dialogue will remain here.

• Pie 2

31 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Agreed about the doublespeak but the ability to review objectively-available information, such as Bryce being a physical outlier at the position and consistently showing issues with throws all of last year, to see where data points and still support hope for a different outcome than the one data points to is... narcissism? By what leap of nonsensical logic is it narcissism to note that a player faces an objective uphill battle to achieve expectations (in this case draft cost and position, which isn't necessarily Bryce's doing) but still hoping they do?

I'm generally taking it easy on Panthers stuff until regular season since it's so close but this zinger is on another level.

There's criticism and then there's chronic invalidation. I can't think of any reasonable person that didn't acknowledge that Bryce's size was an area of concern going into the draft. The mention of narcissism comes from the fact that there are other data points such as his game film that address some of the criticisms but those rebuttals are willfully dismissed/ignored. When called out on their behavior, as has been done here, narcissists will appeal to emotion and avoid responsibility for their own chosen actions. 

For example: Bryce's deep ball. There's plenty of tape from his final college season showing him hitting WRs downfield 40+ yards accurately. That's still something that he can do. However, we've got a bunch of posters that claim Bryce's arm suddenly can't make that same throw in the NFL? You yourself are on the record here claiming his arm strength is "bottom-tier" in the NFL and that "Bryce doesn't have the arm strength to make throws any longer than they absolutely need to be." Most reasonable folks will agree that he doesn't have elite arm strength but they will acknowledge that he has an average NFL arm (at the least, NFL coaches and players do). Are you being honest about your actions, or are you exaggerating victimhood?

Edited by Icege

1 hour ago, CRA said:

might not even be a true 7 players.  It's weighted.  So I think if I was Taylor Moton or someone voted Bryce as the most underrated he automatically is now at 3 points/votes.  So basically 3 people could get him 7 votes if I understand it right

This is why you gotta respect context in sports. It's becoming a forgotten thing unfortunately 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Icege said:

There's criticism and then there's chronic invalidation. I can't think of any reasonable person that didn't acknowledge that Bryce's size was an area of concern going into the draft. The mention of narcissism comes from the fact that there are other data points such as his game film that address some of the criticisms but those rebuttals are willfully dismissed/ignored. When called out on their behavior, as has been done here, narcissists will appeal to emotion and avoid responsibility for their own chosen actions. 

For example: Bryce's deep ball. There's plenty of tape from his final college season showing him hitting WRs downfield 40+ yards accurately. That's still something that he can do. However, we've got a bunch of posters that claim Bryce's arm suddenly can't make that same throw in the NFL? You yourself are on the record here claiming his arm strength is "bottom-tier" in the NFL and that "Bryce doesn't have the arm strength to make throws any longer than they absolutely need to be." Most reasonable folks will agree that he doesn't have elite arm strength but they will acknowledge that he has an average NFL arm (at the least, NFL coaches and players do). Are you being honest about your actions, or are you exaggerating victimhood?

Come on man.  An NFL deep pass is completely different then a college one.  You know this.  

And his arm strength is easily bottom 3rd in league.  

Can it work consistently in the NFL?  I doubt it but we are going to see.  

The distinct lack of any level of consistent deep ball in our offensive wheelhouse will remain a key point of contention until Bryce or whoever the QB is establishes a connection.

You'd think the Carolina Huddle's most outspoken Teddy Bridgewater defender would already be pretty familiar with this concept.

13 minutes ago, frankw said:

The distinct lack of any level of consistent deep ball in our offensive wheelhouse will remain a key point of contention until Bryce or whoever the QB is establishes a connection.

You'd think the Carolina Huddle's most outspoken Teddy Bridgewater defender would already be pretty familiar with this concept.

The crazy thing is Teddy was statistically our best QB since Cam and it's really not that close...

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

And we kicked him to the curve after one year. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

By we you mean Tepper.  He literally ordered the code red and bragged about it

I don't hate the decision to move on.  There's a lot more to it than just performance on the field, and I think there was a bit of a rift between Teddy B and the coaching staff.  We ended up taking the side of the coaching staff and sending Teddy packing.  Only to fire the OC and later the HC in the following years lol.

It kinda reminded me of the Keyshawn Johnson thing in the 2000's.  On paper he was a good addition to the team, but he publicly spoke out and a breakup was inevitable.

At the end of the day, Teddy wasn't the answer at QB and Rhule wasn't the answer at coach either.

37 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The crazy thing is Teddy was statistically our best QB since Cam and it's really not that close...

Well yeah two 1k receivers says it was our most productive season since the first half of 2018.

We were actually in a lot of games in that 2020 season. Although it must be pointed out the reason Bridgewater was such a topic of tense debate was his penchant for checking down and in late game scenarios when we needed chunk plays to put away teams it never transpired and it's why he washed out of the league.

But ever since Cam and his arm that fateful season we've been desperate to see more of a real spark in the deep passing game. I mean even Kyle Allen briefly showed off some of that.

Hopefully Canales has the answer.

5 minutes ago, strato said:

As I understand a comeback: first you have to achieve and then be bad - then you can come back to achieving at your previous good level. Come back.

He can go most improved.

Semantics at this point. I'll happily take either as a Panthers fan.

• Beer 1