• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers will keep Jonathon Brooks on NFI list

I wouldn't extend Hubbard unless he kills it this year.  Our investment in the OL should allow a lot of RBs to play great.  Brooks should eventually be RB1 so unless we are signing Chuba for something pretty cheap, I wouldn't do it. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I wouldn't extend Hubbard unless he kills it this year.  Our investment in the OL should allow a lot of RBs to play great.  Brooks should eventually be RB1 so unless we are signing Chuba for something pretty cheap, I wouldn't do it. 

I wouldn't extend Hubbard even if he kills it.  Let him be someone elses Miles Sanders.

• Pie 5

2 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Having a rookie basically red-shirted RB allows us to extend Hubbard with a contract commensurate of a backup RB, which is where he’s most effective IMO. He and Brooks would make a dynamic duo in our offense. Of course that depends if Hubbard wants to stay or go for a starting role elsewhere after this season.

It's a contract year for Hubbard.  He ran well last year.  He likely gets the majority this year.  

We would be too likely to overpay to keep him.  We should just steadily draft RBs in the draft.  And people are defaulting Brooks into a #1 featured RB.  Which you can't.  Lot of sure fire RBs haven't panned out. 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

It's a contract year for Hubbard.  He ran well last year.  He likely gets the majority this year.  

We would be too likely to overpay to keep him.  We should just steadily draft RBs in the draft.  And people are defaulting Brooks into a #1 featured RB.  Which you can't.  Lot of sure fire RBs haven't panned out. 

The better he does, the more money he will demand in the open market.  It's a lose/lose situation.  It's the reality of the modern running back position.  Draft them, play them, let them walk.

I have high hopes for him. Aaron Jones is the runner I hear him most compared to. Just take a short yardage back in the mid rounds or goal line vet. Can't imagine us keeping Hubbard or Sanders next year. Maybe there will be another Braelon Allen type! 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

The better he does, the more money he will demand in the open market.  It's a lose/lose situation.  It's the reality of the modern running back position.  Draft them, play them, let them walk.

yep, I don't think you should extend really any RB.  Maybe a rare exception here or there.  Just draft them mid to late every year and build your committee like that. 

10 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

And we just drafted one in the second that won't likely contribute in any meaningful way for a year

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

And we just drafted one in the second that won't likely contribute in any meaningful way for a year

Panthers knew it when they drafted him.  Return to field time was talked about at length when we drafted him.  People didn't want to here the numbers.  He would be different. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I wouldn't extend Hubbard even if he kills it.  Let him be someone elses Miles Sanders.

My hope is he shows out and we trade him at the deadline to Dallas. Brooks and Sanders is a very good duo then next year Brooks + whoever we want to get cheap 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Panthers knew it when they drafted him.  Return to field time was talked about at length when we drafted him.  People didn't want to here the numbers.  He would be different. 

There are literally stud rbs every draft.  Every year it seems deep with them.  Not sure why the simply didn't wait a year

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

That’s always been my thinking, no need to make major investments in RB just invest in OL and let RBs go after their rookie contract.

• Pie 1