• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Preseason Wk 3 Bryce QB School

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

No matter how much yall say this it doesn't make it true. Yall also said he would struggle going to a team that was technically worse than the panthers the year before and that didn't happen. If Reich system was more of a fit for Stroud like everybody says how is it a guarantee he wouldnt succeed? The math still doesn't make sense.

Sure the system may have been more suited to him. The line still couldn’t block and the receivers still couldn’t get open. The Texans had the complete opposite I saw clean pockets and receivers open by miles. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

No matter how much yall say this it doesn't make it true. Yall also said he would struggle going to a team that was technically worse than the panthers the year before and that didn't happen. If Reich system was more of a fit for Stroud like everybody says how is it a guarantee he wouldnt succeed? The math still doesn't make sense.

Because Reich's scheme was a net negative of 2.

So if Bryce is worth only 1 and CJ is worth 2,

Bryce is 1+-2=-1

CJ is 2+-2 =0.

0 is better than -1 but it's still 0.

people jim GIF

Also the line sucked and the receivers weren't open. His weapons and protection were all way better. Fitterer and co sold us fools gold last offseason.

The people continuously dumping all of our problems on the OL and WR last year simply didn’t watch much

Stroud might’ve not led this team to the playoffs last year but he damn sure would’ve had us playing a lot more competitive football. Stroud is truly special.

Stroud is also much better at extending plays than Bryce is

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Beer 2

22 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

The people continuously dumping all of our problems on the OL and WR last year simply didn’t watch much

Stroud might’ve not led this team to the playoffs last year but he damn sure would’ve had us playing a lot more competitive football. Stroud is truly special.

Coaching too 

10 hours ago, Saca312 said:

I'm not really a Bryce Young fan, but to be fair, this wasn't the best example of him missing a deep shot opportunity. The play design was set up for a half-field read to the right, and if the first or second read is wide open, that's where the ball is going. His field of vision wouldn't naturally shift to the other side unless those primary options were shut down. 

I 100% agree that Bryce Young still needs to prove he'll take those deep shots when they’re there, but in this particular case, he executed as designed.

Now that it’s on film, Canales might consider making that a more primary read if the same look comes up again, and we'll see if Young takes the touchdown next time.

But in this instance, it was clear Young or most QBs would be instructed not to look for it since it's not within his half field first few options + goal is always getting the ball out as soon as can be when decent opportunities present themselves.

These are all the same points that I made about the play and I never knocked not throwing to Johnson either. No disagreement. The concept itself, however, is used to open up the deep cross as much as the underneath, and the read is the safety as much as either of the receivers. That's the whole point - the decision is likely made based on the safety and coverage, and if the pre-snap coverage shows to be advantageous to the cross then there are QBs that will lean that way over the shorter ball if it unfolds and that doing so is the type of capability that wins games.

Again, as far as Bryce goes, IMO the question isn't so much of he can be an NFL QB of any caliber. It's if he can be the elite QB his price tag and draft status aligns with, the type that teams need to win Super Bowls in today's NFL. Those QBs are the guys that turn this type of play into a TD. Interesting to see this unfold and only time will tell.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Having CJ wouldn’t have made the OL or receivers good. Pretty simple. Notice how 2 of the worst poo the bed ruin the play moments from this film breakdown were last years players attempting to work together? Zavala and Ickey doing god knows what leading to pressure in the QBs face and Mingo and Theilen destroying a concept. What math do you need?

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

IMG_6303.thumb.png.f9ce9059d714cf96f48d0e4f1c0b2ddd.png

Yep, nobody watched this poo every week. And we’re imagining having the lowest rated guard in the league. And also our LT having the 3rd most false starts in the league is clearly a made up stat. I’m sure cutting our starting center right after handing him a big contract had nothing to do with him being terrible. This is where you lose all illusion of being objective.

9 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

Stroud would not of succeeded here last year either 

We don’t know anything really, though I will grant the assumption we wouldn’t have made the playoffs.

Do you think they would have felt they had to change the offense three times for him?

I will grant myself the assumption of no, and that we would have been much better off. 

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Having CJ wouldn’t have made the OL or receivers good. Pretty simple. Notice how 2 of the worst poo the bed ruin the play moments from this film breakdown were last years players attempting to work together? Zavala and Ickey doing god knows what leading to pressure in the QBs face and Mingo and Theilen destroying a concept. What math do you need?

Spoken like someone who truly did not pay attention to the texans last year to make a fair assessment. Let me educate you. You do understand the texans wr and ol were technically were never healthy last year? The o line fluctuated arguably more than the panthers. Tunsil there best guy missed significant time. Stroud took as many sacks as bryce the first half of the season and finished top 10 in sacks taken and if you add the 2 games he missed it's probably more than that. Let's also highlight the texans pretty much had no run game all year compared to the panthers who had to use the run just to move the ball. If you REMEMBER (because i know you dont) the knock on stroud was that he wasn't mobile enough to avoid pressure but actually he did just that a lot last year which also kept sack number from being even higher and HELPING his o line. Far as the receivers go, you couldn't even name a receiver on that squad coming into the season. Nobody said a word about collins prior to last year, hell...TMJr had MORE yards than he did the year before last. The guy was unknown, and when he and the other starters got hurt late in the season. Guess what? Here comes Noah brown who had almost 400 yds in the span of 3 games. Of course you gonna do the simple minded thing and tell me that's coaching but the reality is bobby slowik is not some guru. He has been a defensive coach most of his tenure in the league and never was a OC till last year. You can make a case he was only hired cuz him & Ryan's were on niners staff previous year. Thats a first year HC and a first year OC. Stroud was the one making fast reads, getting the ball out quick and showing outstanding ball placement that no other qb was doing. The point is Stroud doesn't get enough credit for being everything a franchise QB is supposed to be. He elevates the guys around him and covers up the flaws, his playstyle isn't so demanding where you need top tier talent, execution, & coaching experience around him just for him to look competent. I could keep going on this topic but this schooling shouldn't need to be this long.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Stroud would have probably played better here, but not as good as he did in Houston. His OC is from the Shanny tree and had full control of the offense. Even Stroud will tell you his situation was better, in fact he did. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/07/c-j-stroud-passionately-defends-panthers-bryce-young-after-woeful-rookie-season#:~:text=You can't make a,comparison to that of Stroud's.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Stroud would have probably played better here, but not as good as he did in Houston. His OC is from the Shanny tree and had full control of the offense. Even Stroud will tell you his situation was better, in fact he did. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/07/c-j-stroud-passionately-defends-panthers-bryce-young-after-woeful-rookie-season#:~:text=You can't make a,comparison to that of Stroud's.

Slowik >> Ben Johnson 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Slowik is legit. I wish we gave him a stronger look. Slowik, Stroud, and Ryans gave them a freaking amazing offseason. 

That flip job was one of the most impressive you'll find historically.  Also, the draft picks they've landed have been money, beyond just Stroud.

Stingley, Pitre, Dell, Nico, Scruggs, Harris, Anderson.  Difference makers at every phase of the game.  

But at the end of the day, the coaching & QB combination elevates all and they found guys who do just that.

• Pie 1