• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Preseason Wk 3 Bryce QB School

11 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Y'all are sadly mistaken if you think winning football teams don't take that end zone shot when it presents itself in the right situation, as it was arguably doing here.

I'm not really a Bryce Young fan, but to be fair, this wasn't the best example of him missing a deep shot opportunity. The play design was set up for a half-field read to the right, and if the first or second read is wide open, that's where the ball is going. His field of vision wouldn't naturally shift to the other side unless those primary options were shut down. 

I 100% agree that Bryce Young still needs to prove he'll take those deep shots when they’re there, but in this particular case, he executed as designed.

Now that it’s on film, Canales might consider making that a more primary read if the same look comes up again, and we'll see if Young takes the touchdown next time.

But in this instance, it was clear Young or most QBs would be instructed not to look for it since it's not within his half field first few options + goal is always getting the ball out as soon as can be when decent opportunities present themselves.

• Pie 5

17 minutes ago, frankw said:

I loved the drive overall. I think this is one of those things where we're seeing positives and different possible outcomes in plays bc we have a staff that is actually scheming receivers open. It's basically sorcery for us at this point compared to what we've had to witness the last few years.

The 4th down throw on the run is still a stellar play that has me eager to see what else he can do under Canales tutelage. The bar has been raised as far as I'm concerned.

I hope they are glad they gave the starters at least this drive. It's encouraging but there were also plenty of things to clean up when they go over the film in meetings. 

• Beer 2

13 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Bryce made a name for himself at Alabama pulling rabbits out of his hat on broken plays like that.  We actually have some receivers now that will drive to the sideline and adapt to a broken play.  I did not expect that throw to work, but he dropped it in there almost perfectly.

I'm now much more optimistic about how the offense will look in the regular season.  The scheme seems better.  Receivers are getting open.  The pass protection is improved.  Bryce's footwork and pocket depth is better.  He doesn't have a howitzer of an arm, but when he throws off a proper platform he has enough.

Exactly.

I hated Reich's approach last season. Young is a limited QB in terms of structured pocket play. Mobility is his strongest suit and Canales played that to its maximum potential.

Honestly why in hindsight I'm shocked Reich didn't yell out in anger that they took Young instead of Stroud. His system clearly is designed for a more taller, stronger armed QB that prefers structure rather than the mobile finesse playmaker type Young is.

Glad at least Canales is showing promise he can maximize Young's strengths and hide his weaknesses.

• Pie 2

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

I hope they are glad they gave the starters at least this drive. It's encouraging but there were also plenty of things to clean up when they go over the film in meetings. 

I'm sure there's things to go over, but honestly it was all we could ask for IMO.  That's a confidence building TD drive.  I honestly believe that last year's offense led by Frank Reich would have gone 3 and out or at best struggled to get a FG on that drive against Bills backups.

It's something to build on going into the regular season.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I'm sure there's things to go over, but honestly it was all we could ask for IMO.  That's a confidence building TD drive.  I honestly believe that last year's offense led by Frank Reich would have gone 3 and out or at best struggled to get a FG on that drive against Bills backups.

It's something to build on going into the regular season.

Yeah I'm all for the play designs, it's just a couple little nuances and timing things to the routes/protection really that it's good they got actual tape on to correct. Canales said he's not some young offensive guru but compared to the dinosaur play designs last year it felt like he's a genius lol.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Who says Thielen is the primary? You don't know and neither do I. I'm sure the pre-snap read factors into it and yeah, they will look for the deep shot of the safety moves such. Buffalo was in 1-high coverage and that's exactly what you want for a deep cross like that to DT, can he cross the safety's face? In this case the safety came up but not enough for Bryce to take it, either by choice or by scheme.

I don’t know for certain but I know a little ball, and I would be extremely surprised if it wasn’t.

I do know for certain Thielen was higher on the progression than Johnson. And so should you.

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

Exactly.

I hated Reich's approach last season. Young is a limited QB in terms of structured pocket play. Mobility is his strongest suit and Canales played that to its maximum potential.

Honestly why in hindsight I'm shocked Reich didn't yell out in anger that they took Young instead of Stroud. His system clearly is designed for a more taller, stronger armed QB that prefers structure rather than the mobile finesse playmaker type Young is.

Glad at least Canales is showing promise he can maximize Young's strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Looking at the RPO and PA stats of our offense compared to the rest of the league with Reich at the helm, the offense was not designed for someone with Bryce's Skillset. It was built for someone with strengths, like CJ.

But at the same time, you're the fuging coach, adjust your poo to your players and stop being so fuging stubborn dipshit. Don't throw a fit and poo your pants out of spite if you didn't get the guy you wanted and put him and literally everyone else on the team and coaching staff in a position to fail.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Exactly.

Stroud would not of succeeded here last year either 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

3 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I’m kinda hesitant to watch this after his takes last year.  Guy had a hate boner for the only hands on the team.

He has a bit of tunnel vision in his critiques for a lot of players. He caught a bit of the lightning in a bottle thing for the crappy ex-QBs turned analyst. I’m kind of indifferent, some of his vids are pretty shortsighted in respect to play designs and he makes a lot of assumptions that are easy for a casual viewer to think are right bc he says so. 

This is funny:  https://x.com/icecoldfootball/status/1826371588469805370

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

He has a bit of tunnel vision in his critiques for a lot of players. He caught a bit of the lightning in a bottle thing for the crappy ex-QBs turned analyst. I’m kind of indifferent, some of his vids are pretty shortsighted in respect to play designs and he makes a lot of assumptions that are easy for a casual viewer to think are right bc he says so. 

This is funny:  https://x.com/icecoldfootball/status/1826371588469805370

Zing. Yeah this guy is mostly a grifter. I only watch because it's free all 22 looks. you can actually just watch on mute and ignore his scribbling and be just as informed

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

Stroud would not of succeeded here last year either 

No matter how much yall say this it doesn't make it true. Yall also said he would struggle going to a team that was technically worse than the panthers the year before and that didn't happen. If Reich system was more of a fit for Stroud like everybody says how is it a guarantee he wouldnt succeed? The math still doesn't make sense.

• Beer 2