• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Preseason Wk 3 Bryce QB School

26 minutes ago, KSpan said:

The throw would have been toward the back/corner of the end zone rather than anywhere near where Johnson is in that image but yeah, overall I'm sure the coaching/progression has him taking Thielen when the safety is back like he is here. I think a competent QB can/should be able to throw Johnson open though if they make that choice. Will be interesting to see what happens when the season starts.

Any competent QB is taking the wide open 25 yard chunk, and never even looking at Johnson on the backside. The read is there it’s wide open you take it, no questions asked. You don’t look off a wide open primary read to check further into the progression 

• Pie 7

36 minutes ago, mrBdawg said:

Any competent QB is taking the wide open 25 yard chunk, and never even looking at Johnson on the backside. The read is there it’s wide open you take it, no questions asked. You don’t look off a wide open primary read to check further into the progression 

Who says Thielen is the primary? You don't know and neither do I. I'm sure the pre-snap read factors into it and yeah, they will look for the deep shot of the safety moves such. Buffalo was in 1-high coverage and that's exactly what you want for a deep cross like that to DT, can he cross the safety's face? In this case the safety came up but not enough for Bryce to take it, either by choice or by scheme.

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, mrBdawg said:

Not according to some QB experts on here, who expect a 60-yard bomb in the red zone.

• Pie 2

29 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

He takes a shot or two at AT, but he also gives him a little praise.

I was subscribed, but I unsubscribed midway through last year.  He's a little too biased for me, and picks out plays to support what he's trying to say instead of taking a more random sampling.  Not saying he's wrong about everything he says, but I don't like the angles he takes.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I’m kinda hesitant to watch this after his takes last year.  Guy had a hate boner for the only hands on the team.

He's a little less sensational in this one either way with AT or Bryce. Acknowledges Bryce missed or chose not to hit a couple different options

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

He's a little less sensational in this one either way with AT or Bryce. Acknowledges Bryce missed or chose not to hit a couple different options

I'll probably check it out from boredom, but sometimes it feels like he's a defense attorney instead of just giving a straight up review of the performances.  That probably wouldn't be a very successful YouTube channel though.  It's not just us.  I've noticed it on other QBs he covers as well.

Edit:  Another way to say it is I would prefer if he let the tape tell the story, instead of him showing the tape that tells his story.

Edited by PNW_PantherMan
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I'm with The Fan guys that this was a 10/10 drive.  It doesn't need to be picked apart to this degree.  You can say there's mistakes or it wasn't completely perfect.  But given the circumstances, this was their first and only drive of the preseason... what more could you ask for?  I don't think many of us expected it to go that well.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I'm with The Fan guys that this was a 10/10 drive.  It doesn't need to be picked apart to this degree.  You can say there's mistakes or it wasn't completely perfect.  But given the circumstances, this was their first and only drive of the preseason... what more could you ask for?  I don't think many of us expected it to go that well.

I loved the drive overall. I think this is one of those things where we're seeing positives and different possible outcomes in plays bc we have a staff that is actually scheming receivers open. It's basically sorcery for us at this point compared to what we've had to witness the last few years.

The 4th down throw on the run is still a stellar play that has me eager to see what else he can do under Canales tutelage. The bar has been raised as far as I'm concerned.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Joe Bear said:

Not according to some QB experts on here, who expect a 60-yard bomb in the red zone.

Y'all are sadly mistaken if you think winning football teams don't take that end zone shot when it presents itself in the right situation, as it was arguably doing here.  Against top competition converting those opportunities can be the difference between a win and a loss. That's the biggest question by far with Bryce and it has nothing to do with the BS mad-bomber nonsense that your post insinuates. You'd think Carolina fans would understand that after if was made crystal clear by PJ Walker of all QBs vs the Falcons 2 years ago, how the ability to execute far downfield changes games, but I guess not.

For the millionth time now though, time is the only thing that will tell the story. Regular season is 2 weeks away.

Edited by KSpan

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

He is but it wasn't designed to go that way and he's out of Bryces vision. Unless you want this QB with average at best arm strength throwing across his body, it was the right read.

paulie-walnuts-sopranos.gif.c2468bfb093cf933ad28233c662d8c70.gif

• Beer 4

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

The 4th down throw on the run is still a stellar play that has me eager to see what else he can do under Canales tutelage. The bar has been raised as far as I'm concerned.

Bryce made a name for himself at Alabama pulling rabbits out of his hat on broken plays like that.  We actually have some receivers now that will drive to the sideline and adapt to a broken play.  I did not expect that throw to work, but he dropped it in there almost perfectly.

I'm now much more optimistic about how the offense will look in the regular season.  The scheme seems better.  Receivers are getting open.  The pass protection is improved.  Bryce's footwork and pocket depth is better.  He doesn't have a howitzer of an arm, but when he throws off a proper platform he has enough.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3