• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All-22 of Bryce Young’s drive

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Right.  You are a definite skeptic which is fine and mostly warranted.  At least you can admit when he does a decent job.  I think you and most of the skeptics would love for Bryce to play great and be the answer, you all just don't see it.  I can understand that.  This very select few aren't going to be happy or impressed if he does IMO.  For the record I don't think @45catfanis one either.  I think he is just critiquing for the heck of it.

We've got two weeks ahead of no football games and one series of an All-22 with Bryce for the entire preseason to break down.  Not knit-picking, but it's all we have at this point.  Young took the gimme throws that open to him.  Great! We know he can do that.  So my critique is will or can he push the ball down the field given the opportunity short of a blown coverage?  We shall see--starting in two, long weeks.

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Right.  You are a definite skeptic which is fine and mostly warranted.  At least you can admit when he does a decent job.  I think you and most of the skeptics would love for Bryce to play great and be the answer, you all just don't see it.  I can understand that.  This very select few aren't going to be happy or impressed if he does IMO.  For the record I don't think @45catfanis one either.  I think he is just critiquing for the heck of it.

I was a Stroud guy pre-draft who came around to embracing Bryce once it became pretty clear leading up to the draft that he was our guy. Obviously last year suggests CJ would've been the better pick but the reality is they really were very very close to each other pre-draft. Because of our QB struggles since Cam's injuries I was very excited about trading up just because it ensured we'd have a legit high potential QB for the first time since Cam, but the real issue in hindsight (and at the time if I wasn't blinded by "new QB prospect excitement") was trading up to 1 in that draft and not just being patient. Neither Bryce or Stroud was a guy you trade all the way up to 1 for like we did, and that's ignoring debating the merits of trading up to 1st overall at all.

All that said, I have supported Bryce since we took him and have really gotten behind him and wanted/want it to work. What I saw last year was just so objectively terrible that I've become a real skeptic. Now some things this offseason have given me some hope that it was less a Bryce issue and more the coaching and team around him, but until we start seeing it in games I'm still highly skeptical, especially given the fact that I've gone into every season since Tepper took over with some hope for the season and it has continuously been crushed within the first couple months of the season every single time. 

I would love nothing more than for it to work out with Bryce, but if he doesn't show "true franchise QB" signs this season I really don't want to see the team continue to try to make it work with him if it's clear it won't -- that is absolutely a big fear of mine for the future of this team. And one that is very real given Tepper is the one running things.

On a more micro level, Bryce against the Jets in joint practice and his 1 preseason drive cannot be described as anything other than encouraging. Hope we see more of it in the regular season but I'm not exactly counting my chickens yet just based on some offseason play.

• Pie 5

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Let's see if he can and will 'exploit' it.  Week 1 is around the corner. 

And if he doesn't because the deep is being covered, what then? 

What if he doesn't throw a pass more than 20 25 yards all game, and we win? 

Will it still be, "but he's not forcing the ball down field"

I know what is broke, and it's not Bryce. 

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

Then, eventually, Bryce will get figured out and DBs will start sitting on routes.   Even the short stuff will be highly contested.

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

I was a Stroud guy pre-draft who came around to embracing Bryce once it became pretty clear leading up to the draft that he was our guy. Obviously last year suggests CJ would've been the better pick but the reality is they really were very very close to each other pre-draft. Because of our QB struggles since Cam's injuries I was very excited about trading up just because it ensured we'd have a legit high potential QB for the first time since Cam, but the real issue in hindsight (and at the time if I wasn't blinded by "new QB prospect excitement") was trading up to 1 in that draft and not just being patient. Neither Bryce or Stroud was a guy you trade all the way up to 1 for like we did, and that's ignoring debating the merits of trading up to 1st overall at all.

All that said, I have supported Bryce since we took him and have really gotten behind him and wanted/want it to work. What I saw last year was just so objectively terrible that I've become a real skeptic. Now some things this offseason have given me some hope that it was less a Bryce issue and more the coaching and team around him, but until we start seeing it in games I'm still highly skeptical, especially given the fact that I've gone into every season since Tepper took over with some hope for the season and it has continuously been crushed within the first couple months of the season every single time. 

I would love nothing more than for it to work out with Bryce, but if he doesn't show "true franchise QB" signs this season I really don't want to see the team continue to try to make it work with him if it's clear it won't -- that is absolutely a big fear of mine for the future of this team. And one that is very real given Tepper is the one running things.

On a more micro level, Bryce against the Jets in joint practice and his 1 preseason drive cannot be described as anything other than encouraging. Hope we see more of it in the regular season but I'm not exactly counting my chickens yet just based on some offseason play.

I wanted Stroud too.  I think that is part of the frustration for some of the fans that wanted him.  Seeing him have his instant success and becoming a top QB so quickly.  I'm also an Auburn fan so I'm far from a die hard Bryce guy.  Last season what just such a cluster, it's really hard for me to critique anyone on offense.  Icky, Mingo, and hopefully Bryce should be instantly better by having a decent staff around them.  To what degree is anyone's guess.  I'm with you though early results show a possibility of hope, but I'm not looking too much into preseason.  

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

winning like that isnt sustainable in the modern nfl

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

This is a straw-man since no one will be concerned about covering deep for an entire game until Bryce and the offense consistently make them pay, much like last season and 2020 (Teddy) before that. If/when it happens though, then the offense opens up, the defense stretches, and a number of valid questions are answered.

As to why this is a straw-man right now, it's a dream hypothetical at best until entire games are being won underneath because defenses are treating Carolina's offense like it's led by Mahomes and it shows up consistently on film that way. Won't happen until Bryce and the offense make it a reality on the field. 

Will be an interesting first couple weeks of the season for sure.

6 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Different angle.

image.png.728fdf422229c9e25e99eb3721a65b8d.png

A designed rollout.  The safety was mirroring Bryce as was the LB.

No, Thielen couldn't have score without shoddy tackling

This one stood out to me, and this one as well.

image.thumb.png.974425d1c7690b4c332094e7062e8015.png

This is the play where he was ultimately taken down.

I think it show a lack of what JT O'Sullivan calls "the big A" Anticipation. Johnson in the top left is already in his break, the LB is beaten by 10 yards and flat footed, and the safety has already bit on Mingo, so Dionte is wide open (or at least VERY "NFL open"). Bryce is seemingly staring #5 down, but doesn't pull the trigger, and ends up scrambling in the face of pressure.

Maybe he just needs to get the timing down with Dionte. But as another Huddler suggested, I wonder if he is questioning whether he has the zip to get the ball there before the LB can react.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

If top tier qb had the physical talent and confidence...yes they can get the ball there before the FS does. 

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it.

You're doing a whole "He'll never be Cam so he'll never be worth trading up and drafting at #1" shtick rather than trying to have a good faith discussion about football.

My mistake. Carry on with grinding that axe of your's.

• Pie 3

I have been and will continue to be Bryce skeptical, but I’m also fair. 

Improvements  I saw:

1. Footwork and his patience in the pocket was tremendously improved. Even on scrambles, you saw him turn his hips and plant his feet. 

2. confidence: I’m sure everyone already knew what play was going to be called, but he looked better in this regard. 

3. did he looked a bit bulked up or was it just me?

4. accuracy

He has a long way to go and I’m still skeptical but that was a good look. It was watchable. 

• Beer 1