• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All-22 of Bryce Young’s drive

1 minute ago, Icege said:

I think that your desire to see a shot to the endzone might be affecting your judgment here because this isn't a matter of whether or not a fan sees somebody that they think is "NFL open" as much as it is how the play is designed and taught to be executed.

At the very beginning of the play, Sanders goes into motion before resetting to his original spot. The defenders' reaction tells Bryce that it's zone coverage (cover 3 specifically, as they show a single high look rotation just before the snap). It's a play action designed to have Bryce throw while running to his right: XL is the quick hitch for a short option, Adam Thielen looks like he has an option route and settles into the space between the zones, and Diontae is flying upfield on a post. The safety drops while shadowing Thielen over the top, meaning that he's going to be carrying back to that area you're wishing it was thrown to. By design, Bryce is supposed to take the wide open Thielen underneath.

Thielen was open, no doubt, but there will be plays where more than one guy is open and that play was the one instance.  This is a fact. Again, let's wait and see if this develops into a pattern.  My view is a NFL QB can make tight window throws more than 20 yards down field, not only less than that.  Bryce took the 'layup' on that play.  NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.  It got a first down and kept the drive going.  Cool.  However, that was his M.O. last year and I want to see if he's actually developed.  Again, I'll wait and see.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

The safety would have to stop on a dime and change direction.  If he could have done that and fielded it like a punt then our QB doesn't have a deep ball.

I'm not saying it was the wrong play, it was another option.  Most plays have more than one option, FYI.  At some point Bryce has got to push the ball down field or DBs will start jumping routes with little concern of getting beat deep.

You woke up on the wrong side of the bed I see, lol.

Most defenses typically play to prevent the deep pass.  

Yes, I understand that last year they stopped doing so against bryce.  

Number one job of the QB is to execute the plays and make positive yards to stay ahead of the sticks. 

There is zero reason to push the ball deep when it's being better protected. 

Let defenses cheat up, then exploit the deep ball.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I'd rather see him take what the defense gives him, and play within the offense.  That Theilen pass wasn't a checkdown or anything.  It looks like that's how the play is designed.  If we start seeing him throw to covered running backs while a WR is running free downfield, I'd start being concerned.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Thielen was open, no doubt, but there will be plays where more than one guy is open and that play was the one instance.  This is a fact. Again, let's wait and see if this develops into a pattern.  My view is a NFL QB can make tight window throws more than 20 yards down field, not only less than that.  Bryce took the 'layup' on that play.  NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.  It got a first down and kept the drive going.  Cool.  However, that was his M.O. last year and I want to see if he's actually developed.  Again, I'll wait and see.

Not gonna lie... I saw a couple of opportunities to go downfield and Bryce chose not to. I think he is risk averse by nature. Nothing wrong with that, as long as he does take it when he should. But like others have already stated, he's going through his progressions and makes the correct decision in this case. I think we as fans are so starved for downfield throws from Bryce, that we just want to see him sling it sometimes. Completely understand. 

• Beer 1

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

I'd rather see him take what the defense gives him, and play within the offense.  That Theilen pass wasn't a checkdown or anything.  It looks like that's how the play is designed.  If we start seeing him throw to covered running backs while a WR is running free downfield, I'd start being concerned.

Yeah me too. If a guy is wide open for a first down you take it. This is a “pattern” that Im ok with continuing…

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Most defenses typically play to prevent the deep pass.  

Yes, I understand that last year they stopped doing so against bryce.  

Number one job of the QB is to execute the plays and make positive yards to stay ahead of the sticks. 

There is zero reason to push the ball deep when it's being better protected. 

Let defenses cheat up, then exploit the deep ball.

Let's see if he can and will 'exploit' it.  Week 1 is around the corner. 

• Pie 1

I still can't get over how much better he looks standing in the pocket.  He's a little bouncy, but it's miles beyond last year.  How Frank and Co didn't work with him on that is beyond me.  If you drop back 5 yards out of a shotgun, it's really hard to protect.  Maybe it's a combination of better coaching and better interior pass protection.  But the results are night and day, at least from this drive.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I still can't get over how much better he looks standing in the pocket.  He's a little bouncy, but it's miles beyond last year.  How Frank and Co didn't work with him on that is beyond me.  If you drop back 5 yards out of a shotgun, it's really hard to protect.  Maybe it's a combination of better coaching and better interior pass protection.  But the results are night and day, at least from this drive.

He looked more comfortable but still had some happy feet which is understandable after last year.  The question is will he continue to look this way when defensive coordinators start dialing in pressure.  I hope so. 

4 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Play #3 had Johnson wide open for the TD.  Still a positive play as the result, but not seeing a wide open man flashing into his field of vision is concerning.

Plays have progressions. Thielen was his first read obviously, you’re not looking anywhere else if your first read is wide open. 

19 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I think Frank and co didn’t work on anything. 

They just watched the mess they created burn.

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Honestly don't remember so many guys flashing open so quickly last season. Bryce had 2 or 3 open guys downfield to choose from on most plays Saturday. That was NOT the case last year. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Not an issue if he saw it, but took the easier throw.  Yes, the DB had the underneath on Johnson, potentially, but a well placed ball to the endzone would have been a TD.  The DB was in trail technique, so as long as the ball wasn't late or behind, Johnson had his man beat. 

I'll have to see more, obviously, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Bryce still doubts his deep ball zip.

In other words, other franchise qbs would make that throw and set themselves apart from the mediocre Qbs. Thats one of the expectations for bryce this year is to make throws that will set himself apart from the average. lm not gonna argue he won't be more productive because it will be hard to be worse than last year. It's more about within that production is he taking chances and trusting the deep ball like you said.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

The safety would have to stop on a dime and change direction.  If he could have done that and fielded it like a punt then our QB doesn't have a deep ball.

I'm not saying it was the wrong play, it was another option.  Most plays have more than one option, FYI.  At some point Bryce has got to push the ball down field or DBs will start jumping routes with little concern of getting beat deep.

You woke up on the wrong side of the bed I see, lol.

I did go a bit hard, but think about. What starting free safety can't stop on a dime in the NFL, especially when they haven't made their break on the ball yet? Canales has been stressing for him to take his shots down the field, but a WR running a deep post, and a safety 6/7 yds away already in the area where the throw would go to would make an easy play. That is why he struggled to come up and make the play on Thielen because he looked to be taking away that deep option. My thing was the play design caused him to have to make a decision that was going to give up a completion either way. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1