• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All-22 of Bryce Young’s drive

5 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Which is the smart play. Keeping the drive going was the goal.

I'm okay with this. It was a positive result.  I want to see his mid-to-long range game though.  From last season, we all know Bryce is fairly solid in the short game.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Different angle.

image.png.728fdf422229c9e25e99eb3721a65b8d.png

A designed rollout.  The safety was mirroring Bryce as was the LB.

No, Thielen couldn't have score without shoddy tackling

I understand what you’re seeing I just think the better throw is to Thielen here. Thielen is literally wide ass open so take the for sure thing and move on imo

We can agree to disagree. We both know I’m no Bryce stan

• Pie 5

how nice is this?! Last year we were just throwing dumps and screens and complaining and now people want to argue about making the wrong throw on a 20yd completion. Seems we are moving in the right direction. Keep Pounding!

• Pie 8
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Not an issue if he saw it, but took the easier throw.  Yes, the DB had the underneath on Johnson, potentially, but a well placed ball to the endzone would have been a TD.  The DB was in trail technique, so as long as the ball wasn't late or behind, Johnson had his man beat. 

I'll have to see more, obviously, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Bryce still doubts his deep ball zip.

At full speed it might appear that way, but it wouldn't have been a TD.

The safety over top would have picked it had Bryce gone to Diontae. The defender doesn't drive on Thielen until the ball is being thrown.

Screenshot_20240826_085644_X.thumb.jpg.d22c7089347c8c7c3f7bd12daad982c6.jpg

It was a good play.

• Pie 4

2. Mesh to 19 fails. Sit to 17 isn't open either. Look at Diontae and Bryce break at the exact same time. Off-script connection hits for a big gain. No one could win on broken plays last season

My favorite part about this play, is after the play breaks down and Diontae and XL are breaking for the sidelines, watch Diontae gradually work back towards Bryce. XL at best is flat, but is more drifting away from him. This is going to be a great learning moment for XL. A wide receiver has to work back towards his QB in that scenario. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I'm okay with this. It was a positive result.  I want to see his mid-to-long range game though.  From last season, we all know Bryce is fairly solid in the short game.

52 minutes ago, Icege said:

At full speed it might appear that way, but it wouldn't have been a TD.

The safety over top would have picked it had Bryce gone to Diontae. The defender doesn't drive on Thielen until the ball is being thrown.

Screenshot_20240826_085644_X.thumb.jpg.d22c7089347c8c7c3f7bd12daad982c6.jpg

It was a good play.

@45catfan, Any safety that is worth a damn would've changed course and fielded that interception like a punt. Respectfully, who gives a damn what you want to see, the correct throw was to Thielen for an easy completion as the film clearly shows. As another poster said, a quicker WR would've easily blasted into the endzone like any decent safety would've picked off any throw attempt to Johnson. This isn't Madden or NCAA. You are just wrong here. No agreeing to disagree. You are wrong, it was a good quick and accurate read. Great play call, great rhythm, great play, great result. 

Edited by NorthTryon
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

@45catfan, Any safety that is worth a damn would've changed course and fielded that interception like a punt. Respectfully, who gives a damn what you want to see, the correct throw was to Thielen for an easy completion as the film clearly shows. As another poster said, a quicker WR would've easily blasted into the endzone like any decent safety would've picked off any throw attempt to Johnson. This isn't Madden or NCAA. You are just wrong here. No agreeing to disagree. You are wrong, it was a good quick and accurate read. Great play call, great rhythm, great play, great result. 

The safety would have to stop on a dime and change direction.  If he could have done that and fielded it like a punt then our QB doesn't have a deep ball.

I'm not saying it was the wrong play, it was another option.  Most plays have more than one option, FYI.  At some point Bryce has got to push the ball down field or DBs will start jumping routes with little concern of getting beat deep.

You woke up on the wrong side of the bed I see, lol.

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The safety would have to stop on a dime and change direction.  If he could have done that and fielded it like a punt then our QB doesn't have a deep ball.

I'm not saying it was the wrong play, it was another option.  Most plays have more than one option, FYI.  At some point Bryce has got to push the ball down field or DBs will start jumping routes with little concern of getting beat deep.

You woke up on the wrong side of the bed I see, lol.

The way that play is designed, Bryce is supposed to go over the top if the safety drives on Thielen which would open up the endzone for Diontae.

But because the safety doesn't drive on it and open things up behind him, the ball goes to Thielen.

It's another option, yes, but it's not the correct option to take in that scenario as you're proposing.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, Icege said:

The way that play is designed, Bryce is supposed to go over the top if the safety drives on Thielen which would open up the endzone for Diontae.

But because the safety doesn't drive on it and open things up behind him, the ball goes to Thielen.

It's another option, yes, but it's not the correct option to take in that scenario as you're proposing.

Thielen obviously was open, but Diontae was 'NFL open'.  Let's see if this turns into a pattern then, okay?

15 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Thielen obviously was open, but Diontae was 'NFL open'.  Let's see if this turns into a pattern then, okay?

I think that your desire to see a shot to the endzone might be affecting your judgment here because this isn't a matter of whether or not a fan sees somebody that they think is "NFL open" as much as it is how the play is designed and taught to be executed.

At the very beginning of the play, Sanders goes into motion before resetting to his original spot. The defenders' reaction tells Bryce that it's zone coverage (cover 3 specifically, as they show a single high look rotation just before the snap). It's a play action designed to have Bryce throw while running to his right: XL is the quick hitch for a short option, Adam Thielen looks like he has an option route and settles into the space between the zones, and Diontae is flying upfield on a post. The safety drops while shadowing Thielen over the top, meaning that he's going to be carrying back to that area you're wishing it was thrown to. By design, Bryce is supposed to take the wide open Thielen underneath.

Edited by Icege
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Not an issue if he saw it, but took the easier throw.  Yes, the DB had the underneath on Johnson, potentially, but a well placed ball to the endzone would have been a TD.  The DB was in trail technique, so as long as the ball wasn't late or behind, Johnson had his man beat. 

I'll have to see more, obviously, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Bryce still doubts his deep ball zip.

Yet still scored a touch down.