• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kickoff rule

My question is how would you attack both sides of the new rule. I am sure we haven’t seen a true kick returns until regular season.

i think teams should not use they kickers for the new kickoff rule. Need more of a flat fast kick. If the ball lands in the landing zone and goes out of the end zone, you start at the 20. We all know when a football hits the ground it could go anywhere, so you want the returners to field the ball from a bounce, which would mean the return will stay in the 20-30yds for the offense to start.

any thoughts on how you would attack the kickoff rule?

1 hour ago, Panther53521 said:

My question is how would you attack both sides of the new rule. I am sure we haven’t seen a true kick returns until regular season.

i think teams should not use they kickers for the new kickoff rule. Need more of a flat fast kick. If the ball lands in the landing zone and goes out of the end zone, you start at the 20. We all know when a football hits the ground it could go anywhere, so you want the returners to field the ball from a bounce, which would mean the return will stay in the 20-30yds for the offense to start.

You bring up a good point--perhaps a different kind of kick that may not be something a placekicker does.  I think you will see the kick evolve

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

You bring up a good point--perhaps a different kind of kick that may not be something a placekicker does.  I think you will see the kick evolve

The kicker for the new rules, should kick more of a line drive kick so that it’s moving fast along the ground, but not touching the ground until the landing zone and running through the end zone  …. The offense has to start at the 20.

you know we have seen regular players attempt to kick off and it was always ugly and never seemed to get any higher the 15ft above the players head. 

i think it will evolve to a non kicker duty unless the NFL says only kickers can kick the ball 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Panther53521 said:

This worked really well

• Beer 2

I would just boot it out of the back of the end zone every time. Just start at the 30 with zero chance of a return. There's effectively zero difference between starting at the 25 versus the 30. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk of a return. 

• Pie 2

57 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

Just get rid of kickoffs already.  The new rules are stupid.  

I have come to accept that people just love change. The rules are getting changed in all sports. It's the sad reality.

Wouldn't shock me if the NFL is a flag football league in the next decade lol

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I have come to accept that people just love change. The rules are getting changed in all sports. It's the sad reality.

Wouldn't shock me if the NFL is a flag football league in the next decade lol

This is true. However, in the NFL I can understand some of these rule changes. The players are just so much bigger, stronger and faster now. Plus they play a lot more games that they used to. IMO there aren't enough players to play good football to fill the league and especially by the end of the season with all the injuries. Seems ro me like they are looking at where the most injuries occur and then evaluate the value of the play and determining how's the best way to reduce those injuries.

For the offense, they tried to limit the bad hits by emphasizing tacking rules. I think that was a good idea. Now, the KO is the most violent part of the game with the speed. I don't like the new kickoff either but I understand why they are trying something new. Try to have it still be a part of the game but in a safer way. 

Who knows, maybe I'll get used to it and change my mind but for now it's just weird. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, PghPanther said:

Would this rule end the opportunity of pulling off a surprise onside kick?

It already has.  You can't pull a surprise anymore, you have to announce you are doing it and you can only do it in the 4th quarter if you are trailing.

13 minutes ago, travisura said:

Am I to understand that people are actually upset that they got rid of the most boring play in football and are trying something in hopes of making it more interesting? 

They made it the most boring play in football, and now they're trying to make it more interesting.