• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roster Surprises

Suprise:

1. Raym will make the 53. I don't think he lasts on the PS. Since preseason game 1, its been fairly evident the entire offense got better when he came in. Which forced me to look up the rookie. Over 2k+ snaps at center in college and only gave away 25 hurries, 6 qb hits, and 6 sacks. He was projected everywhere from 3rd to 6th. 

2. Anderson was also a nice suprise but numbers probably make him practice squad bound. 

3. Zavala looks vastly different from last year. 

Suprise cut will be at TE imo. 

4. Matthews

Not Suprised: OLB is a problem. Not too worried with the D as Evero didn't call the plays and 75% of our starting dbs didn't play. We've been looking to replace Burns and Yetur. Clowney at 1a with Wonnum at 1b is close but I don't even think Wonnum has practiced yet. 

KLavon isn't exactly who I'd be wanting to count on opposite Clowney at the moment. DJ Johnson still feels a year or two away and Eku disappeared after flashing the first preseason game. Its a long season and we're probably an injury away from having to blitz every play to manufacture pressure. 

• Pie 3

50 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Suprise:

1. Raym will make the 53. I don't think he lasts on the PS. Since preseason game 1, its been fairly evident the entire offense got better when he came in. Which forced me to look up the rookie. Over 2k+ snaps at center in college and only gave away 25 hurries, 6 qb hits, and 6 sacks. He was projected everywhere from 3rd to 6th.  I was excited to see him available, but during the first preseason game, he whiffed and gave up a sack.  However, it was just a missed assignment.  He was solid and he had rookie guards beside him. Bottom line:  We needed a pure center as depth behind a guy who was injured last year and has not played center.  I did not like having another guard convert as the backup.  Yes, he is on the roster (I think we carry 9 OL on the 53--Starting five + Nijman, BC, Raym, and Zavala.)

2. Anderson was also a nice suprise but numbers probably make him practice squad bound.   I agree.  Mason Brooks also played well at RG.  I could see them both on the PS.

3. Zavala looks vastly different from last year.  All signs lead to the fact that he was confused.  3 different offenses for a rookie?  Campen really sucked.  Zavala needed him and the word is that Campen, a boomer, could not communicate with the Gen z players.  I dunno.

Suprise cut will be at TE imo.  Unless they keep 4, and I think they might.  Matthews is 32, so that could hurt him, but he seems to be a great leader by example.  Sanders is a star waiting to happen,  and Tremble was stepping up a bit.  Thomas is a good blocker, but not a starting TE.  They might use him to help chip the speed rushers on the left side on passing downs, forcing a LB or Nickel to stay with Thomas. 

4. Matthews   I think cutting him sends the wrong message to the team.  he was out to practice early every day, performed well during the preseason, etc.

Not Suprised: OLB is a problem. Not too worried with the D as Evero didn't call the plays and 75% of our starting dbs didn't play. We've been looking to replace Burns and Yetur. Clowney at 1a with Wonnum at 1b is close but I don't even think Wonnum has practiced yet. 

KLavon isn't exactly who I'd be wanting to count on opposite Clowney at the moment. I think he is behind Clowney--I think the opposite side is Wonnum, DJ Johnson, and Leota.   DJ Johnson still feels a year or two away and Eku disappeared after flashing the first preseason game. Its a long season and we're probably an injury away from having to blitz every play to manufacture pressure. Don't forget Barno.   Vilian is the sleeper--he had a good game vs the Bills and a good camp, from what I heard.  We are not finding an edge during cuts, so this will be interesting.  Eku Leota did not get the pressure he did game 1, but he did a good job holding the edge.  I think the 53 man roster will be: Clowney, Wonnum, Barno, Chaisson, Johnson.  PS: Vilian, Leota.  We have not seen Wonnum and Clowney or even Barno--so we have been watching the players fighting for the last spot or two.  Do not be surprised to see  Eku Leota make the team and Chaisson get cut. 

I think Smith or even Peevy could make the roster as a DE.  Shy Tuttle did not have a good season and his summer was not good.  While it is doubtful, there could be a surprise.

I liked this list--comments in bold above

• Pie 3

38 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Tutu Atwell sounds like he could be had on the trade market with Wittingham and Robinson coming along in LA behind Puka and Kupp. He fits the young shiftier type we don’t really have. That could be worth pursuing.

we need that--I have heard that Chuba has been working on it and when Brooks is ready, they will offer some shake and bake--but we need a slot WR who can do that as well. Thielen is a possession WR--and a good one.

ISM getting cut for Moore is very possible considering Blackshear will probably make the roster while Brooks is on PUP plus he and Moore can return. 

We probably carry 4 TEs too since we won't carry a FB. (Tremble, Thomas, Sanders, Matthews).

I wouldn't be shocked if Plummer made it. Not that he should but they really seem to like him a lot.

Leota probably makes it while Wonnum is on PUP. 

Probably carry 5 Safeties since we are so zone heavy. (Woods, Fuller, Scott, Robinson, Cook)

Probably just 4 CBs- again since we are so zone heavy. (Horn, Hill, M. Jackson, Jamison). Willing to bet that Dane Jackson also makes the 53 and then is put on IR right after the cut down.

Edited by ProcessBlue2
  • Pie 2

4 hours ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

Probably just 4 CBs- again since we are so zone heavy. (Horn, Hill, M. Jackson, Jamison). Willing to bet that Dane Jackson also makes the 53 and then is put on IR right after the cut down.

I'd think we'd carry more like 6 CBs w/ injury concerns surrounding our best corner. 

Horn, Hill, Jackson, Jamison, Smith Wade and Bootle until Dane gets back. 

7 hours ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Plummer made it. Not that he should but they really seem to like him a lot.

Plummer, for a rookie, played well Saturday.  I can see him on the PS and continue to develop and could be a good backup in 2025 and beyond.  Don't think he's starting material but might be a solid backup.