• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Farewell Ian Thomas????

1 hour ago, NAS said:

He's not going anywhere, we can keep 4 TE's, especially in this offense. 

100%. I think we are going to run a lot of 2 TE sets, and I think it's almost a forgone conclusion we keep 4 TEs.

I think Thomas, Tremble, Sanders, and Matthews will all make the team.

I also think there is a chance we only keep 5 WRs (especially if we can find a trade partner for TMJ) given the practice squad elevation rules (elevate a guy up to 3 times during the season before you have to add them to the active roster).

I ultimately think we keep 6 WRs, but I am 99.9999% sure we're keeping 4 TEs, and Ian Thomas will be one of those 4, at least for this year.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

He's not hurt at all, he was held out as a precaution, he has been back practicing in full pads.

Oh okay. I will take him, Matthews and our rookie and see what happens I guess then. I would set Thomas free and cut him this go round.

Thomas isn't going anywhere...unfortunately.

image.png.2d45ec345da6321c32e48c0b9d806e73.png

A healthy TE, with starting experience--even as pedestrian as Ian has been isn't getting cut.  Our TE room is still marginal and kicking him to the curb being on the hook for nearly $4M with no cap relief is just silly.   Let him walk next year and he can get us his 300-400 yards and a TD this season (career average).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If he is hurt I wouldn't be surprised to see him begin the year on IR.  There is no relief to cutting him vs keeping him.  If there team needs a 4th TE look at Hollister as the option to be kept.  He is only getting the vet minimum, which may not necessarily count against the cap.  Additionally, he know Canalas's system in and out from being on Seattle for years.

The new IR rules allow teams to keep players like Thomas since IR is no longer all year or nothing.

• Beer 1

He's only making 1.3 million this season and is a UFA after this year.

Seems like an obvious move to turn the page. No ill will toward him though. In his defense he has been here through three coaching staffs. And multiple front offices. But we've paid him almost 15 million dollars to basically do nothing. He'll be fine.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, frankw said:

He's only making 1.3 million this season and is a UFA after this year.

Seems like an obvious move to turn the page. No ill will toward him though. In his defense he has been here through three coaching staffs. And multiple front offices. But we've paid him almost 15 million dollars to basically do nothing. He'll be fine.

Cap hit is $3.8 mil. 

That doesn't change if we cut him, unfortunately.

• Beer 1

25 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Cap hit is $3.8 mil. 

That doesn't change if we cut him, unfortunately.

I see. That's a somewhat significant hit. Well if it boils down to one roster spot between the TE/WR/RB units being a tough call and keeping him might mean losing one of them I think you have to just go ahead and rip the bandaid off. Just my .2 cents though.

2 hours ago, frankw said:

I see. That's a somewhat significant hit. Well if it boils down to one roster spot between the TE/WR/RB units being a tough call and keeping him might mean losing one of them I think you have to just go ahead and rip the bandaid off. Just my .2 cents though.

I am okay cutting him but I suspect he gets one more year. Hell, we will probably extend him and make him a top 10 paid TE during the season.