• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With 12 plays, Bryce Young and starters showed real signs of progress

21 hours ago, strato said:

I think Zavala went to the crossroads at midnight and made himself a deal because no one looks as bad as he did last year and goes straight to looking like he could be a player. 

The Bryce part, if his footwork holds up under duress and doesn’t revert to that mess that goes back pre draft, maybe he can stick. 

I do not like sacrificing half the field though, with a rollout offense. 

I am not a "film guy" or highly versed on the details when it comes to plays and techniques and admittedly know less than than most.  I'm a simple fan watching the team play.  But when I looked at some highlights from last year, the entire line looked like they did not know what they were doing at times and resembled chaos.  Throwing a raw rookie into that makes it even more chaotic. 

Not saying we should give him or anyone else a clean slate but I would like to see them more this year before deeming them all failures.  Saturday was a small sample size and will not draw any conclusions from that either but it was refreshing to see guys making a coordinated effort.

• Beer 1

18 hours ago, frankw said:

When we see it against the Saints on the road in the opener we can really start feeling better about the future.

For right now we just have something positive to carry into the next few weeks.

And that's really all you can ask for as a fan. I saw some semblance of competence and that has been missing since 2018-19 save part of the Wilks stretch. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 hours ago, strato said:

I think Zavala went to the crossroads at midnight and made himself a deal because no one looks as bad as he did last year and goes straight to looking like he could be a player. 

The Bryce part, if his footwork holds up under duress and doesn’t revert to that mess that goes back pre draft, maybe he can stick. 

😂🤣 The entire line is going to look better, because they get to be aggressive down hill instead of that zone crap! There seem to be a lot of old school line technique in Canales offense. I have seen double teams, backside help, and old fashioned lead/overload concepts that I haven't seen since 03 Henning years. It really is easier and more suited to help OL excel. Look for a bounce back year from Ickey!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

37 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

😂🤣 The entire line is going to look better, because they get to be aggressive down hill instead of that zone crap! There seem to be a lot of old school line technique in Canales offense. I have seen double teams, backside help, and old fashioned lead/overload concepts that I haven't seen since 03 Henning years. It really is easier and more suited to help OL excel. Look for a bounce back year from Ickey!

The rollout college stuff though…. Like ketchup on a steak. 

22 hours ago, strato said:

Dude was a rookie, injured almost the entire duration of camp which stunted his development. He was shuffled in and out of the lineup on a dysfunctional OL unit while continuing to battle injuries.

Zavala got dealt a bad hand last year, as did a lot of players.  This year is his real first season.  I look at last year like a medical redshirt where he struggled to get reps due to injuries and was forced into the lineup when he clearly wasn't ready mentally or physically.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, strato said:

Zavala is what is he is. How he got from there to here, in one offseason? Cue the theremin player. 

yeah so far Zavala is the Panthers Most Improved Player...

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Dude was a rookie, injured almost the entire duration of camp which stunted his development. He was shuffled in and out of the lineup on a dysfunctional OL unit while continuing to battle injuries.

Zavala got dealt a bad hand last year, as did a lot of players.  This year is his real first season.  I look at last year like a medical redshirt where he struggled to get reps due to injuries and was forced into the lineup when he clearly wasn't ready mentally or physically.

The biggest losers of the new collective bargaining agreement with the new practice schedules were lineman. Two a day practices really helped them with the number of reps and ability to hone their craft. Zavala was so behind physically cause the play he collapsed in Atlanta was so routine that it showed how clearly outmatched he was physically.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, strato said:

The rollout college stuff though…. Like ketchup on a steak. 

Hey sometimes its the KISS formula! Norv Turner once said everyone thinks I'm a genius play caller, but literally it's a hat on a hat and give it Emmitt.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Hey sometimes its the KISS formula! Norv Turner once said everyone thinks I'm a genius play caller, but literally it's a hat on a hat and give it Emmitt.

I should take that back anyway, because it ain’t a steak in the first place, bad analogy. 
I am just not a fan of cutting the field down. I hope we don’t see that as our bread and butter plan.   

12 minutes ago, strato said:

I should take that back anyway, because it ain’t a steak in the first place, bad analogy. 
I am just not a fan of cutting the field down. I hope we don’t see that as our bread and butter plan.   

I don't think so. Most of that stuff comes as a counter punch. I get what you're saying though. I remember when Joe Brady was here, he would call roll out after roll out and I was like dude there is no counter there. This is predictable as hell and defenses treated it as such. 

• Beer 1