• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales could be Mike McDaniel LITE

4 hours ago, Johnstonny said:

Its all about the scheme....

I agree actually.  This was the first preseason game where we actually did a little bit of an offensive playbook instead of generic vanilla preseason plays, and the entire offense looked much better.  It was creating open receivers.  Heck it even made Plummer not look terrible.

1 hour ago, NAS said:

Already hedgin eh? Can you at least define what acceptable improvement would look like in terms other than arm strength? 

More tds, less interceptions and obviously more yards with more of those comimg from big plays. He only had 2800 yds passing while playing in 16 games. Is it to much to ask too improve on that to you?? 

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

More tds, less interceptions and obviously more yards with more of those comimg from big plays. He only had 2800 yds passing while playing in 16 games. Is it to much to ask too improve on that to you?? 

Of course not, but you still didn’t define how many yards and TDs.  ex.  3,800 yds, 25TDs,  7.5+ yds per completion, etc

26 minutes ago, NAS said:

Of course not, but you still didn’t define how many yards and TDs.  ex.  3,800 yds, 25TDs,  7.5+ yds per completion, etc

Because i dont care about a specific number. That will come down to what will be required far as the team is instructed. For example, he could very well not have a substantial increase in yards and TDs because the run game is working so well but still play well despite his low number. It happens.

He seems to be on the right track. It’s a big job not many do it well. If he can actually call plays and HC while winning games… go for it. 

edit - we’ll have to judge him off his QB rehab too, seems like a lot is expected.  

Edited by strato

12 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Damn...I didnt even notice that lol. I did notice that his throws still look weak to me and just don't come off his hands strong.  When the coverage tightens up that's gonna be a good indicator of progress. 

Go back and watch. I don’t know if it’s a youth thing or what. My best way to analyze college players is to put them on other teams and see what would happen. Caleb Williams at Alabama likely propels them to a National Championship. Drake Maye at Alabama likely propels them to a National Championship. Same thing for Daniels, Stroud, later Nix, etc.

Bryce was good at Alabama but so was everyone else, and that is showing up now. 

Bryce is very good on the run and very good outside the pocket, why Frank tried to force BY into being a straight drop QB, I’ll never know.

But the RPO roll out play where BY rolled out to the right and hit Thielen was a thing of beauty. Awesome play design by Canales and it really takes advantage of BY’s strengths.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Getting the ball out fast? He looked the exact same as he did last year, to me. It was on drive, against the second team of the Bills, and he still found it necessary to flee the pocket and then thew to Diontae about 3 seconds too late, as you could see by Johnson’s reaction after he caught the ball. 

every highlight of Johnson that I’ve seen he looks disappointed. Must be hard to go from Ben to Young. 

He went from Pickett/Rudolph/Trubisky to Young btw but congratulations on your mind reading/ body language expertise through a TV screen to confirm your opinions.   You should definitely put that talent to good use.  You could make millions.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

15 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

Yes it’s preseason

yes it’s one drive

But Bryce Young looked ABSYMAL all last year under Frank Reich and coaching carousel 

I am the first to eat crow and own that I had NO HOPE for Young

but today I saw a poised young QB, getting the ball out fast with an offensive series tailored to his skillset

I ‘THINK’ Tepper may have finally gotten it right with Canales

What does Mike McDaniel LITE mean? 

As to the question of who does Canales remind me of as a coach, it is Pete Carroll. That constant enthusiasm and positivity coupled with a desire to run the ball and be physical carried him to a lot of success. Hopefully Canales can replicate that here.

• Pie 3

I'm not sold on Bryce yet, but there was noticeable improvement in how he operated from within the pocket. I think that 2.7 second thing has really helped him speed up his apparently god-tier S2 processing speed.