• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Legette be “red shirted” this year?

hepcat

34 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I have never labeled Bryce Young a bust and have consistently said I believe in him.  You are flat wrong pal

I think you've got your wires crossed here. I was saying you've specifically spoken out against labeling Bryce a bust too early. So you can extend Legette the same courtesy no?

It's all about setting expectations.  It was known going in he's got the potential to be a solid X but had some pretty obvious humps ahead (not ones he can't overcome, just acknowledging where he's at).  So the comments about those expressing reality seem rather annoying.  No crap, every player requires patience and development...

After BTJ, the remainder big body X-receivers that could play early were basically Coleman, AD, & for us we saw XL in that tier and apparently liked him the most.  The big humps to expect - right now:

• He doesn't have short area quickness or RR skills to beat guys in zone coverage.  He's a man beater.  So he needs time to learn the upper body nuances at the spot and how to get open quickly without presnap work.  
  • Factor in that he's older, so you want swift development.  All in all, it's a high reward with him working out but we've tried this a few times.  High upside, less sure thing, so yeah, many will stay pessimistic until proven otherwise.  

16 hours ago, Johnstonny said:

First rounders  suppose to hit the ground runnin...but we'll see. Given our historical propensity to draft shtty WR's I'm not enamored.....

Yep. I hate to say it, but unless he pops this year, it’s a really bad sign. I took a look at the past 5 or so years at 1st round WRs (most outside top 5 or so) and most excel early if they are now really good WRs and the ones that are considered busts now did not pop early.

I’m rooting for him but there are very few WRs that don’t pop (like 700 yards) and end up being really good. Is he Davante Adams? Maybe, but lots more Jalen Raegor’s that don’t pop. 

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Pie 2

45 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Yep. I hate to say it, but unless he pops this year, it’s a really bad sign.

From a historical perspective, its really not. Last year was kind of an exception in that three of the four first round receivers had good years, but more often than not, the first year is a struggle.  

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, jtm said:

Some of the greatest players to ever play the game stunk it up the first couple of years. 

The Huddle is becoming tough to visit. 

Kind of like if your pocket is full, or empty, that greatly affects your attitude.

Years of empty promises and crap football operations on and off the field do manifest in our psyche. 

If people were just all positive and happy it would be bewildering to me and I would think they either did not have much upstairs, or just weren’t using what they had.

Team proves they have figured things out at least somewhat, people get happier and less negative.

Me personally, I am a perfectionist by nature and a fixer (apparently inherent in my maleness).

I see things that aren’t right. 
I want to fix them. 
Once fixed, I look for the next problem, and try to fix that.  
So if they get Bryce fixed, the OL fixed, I’ll probably still be looking for something that needs fixing. Or just improved. 

Doesn’t mean I hate a player or the team or any of that. If I think they need fixing, or cannot be fixed in a reasonable time frame, it is just that.

Edited by strato

Way too much hate on XL….not enough of a critical eye on the Panthers front office/staff 

for example take another we considered/wanted around here. Who also had a really rough camp. 

Xavier Worthy - 1 preseason game

6 targets, 3 catches, 62 rec yards, rec TD, 1 rush attempt  11 rushing yards.  Sounds great! 

What the real difference? The org and plan for their young WR.  Worthy was getting work with Patrick Mahomes.  They made sure they worked him into the starting O and got him touches.  He had 2 catches and a rush attempt with the starting O on their first drive.   It’s by design to get him involved and work on his growth.  That’s scripted and by design.   And when Mahomes sat and he logged his last catch? It was still a Super Bowl QB throwing to him. 

XL had one target from Jack Plummer.  An undrafted rookie that shouldn’t have even seen the reps he got.

Biggest difference in the two players IMO is the players.  It’s the organizations.  Canales should have gotten him actual opportunities.  That’s on the coach IMO. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

From a historical perspective, its really not. Last year was kind of an exception in that three of the four first round receivers had good years, but more often than not, the first year is a struggle.  

The difference is that recent NFL history(10-15 years) has turned that old adage on its head. Most of the elite WR's in the NFL produced or became regarded as elite in their first two years in the league. There have been less of the 2-3 seasons of obscurity before having a big breakout kind of WR's. 

So he does have a point that if we don't get a pop after the first couple of seasons, it's very unlikely that we will. That isn’t to say he may not mature into a pretty good backup WR but that isn't the type of player you select in the first round.

Unless someone really blows us away this season and sort of permanently buries him on our depth chart(which wouldn't be a net negative), these first two years will be kind of critical. He needs to show he isn't another TMJ.

• Flames 1

37 minutes ago, CRA said:

Way too much hate on XL….not enough of a critical eye on the Panthers front office/staff 

for example take another we considered/wanted around here. Who also had a really rough camp. 

6 targets, 3 catches, 62 rec yards, rec TD, 1 rush attempt  11 rushing yards.  Sounds great! 

What the real difference? The org and plan for their young WR.  Worthy was getting work with Patrick Mahomes.  They made sure they worked him into the starting O and got him touches.  He had 2 catches and a rush attempt with the starting O on their first drive.   It’s by design to get him involved and work on his growth.  That’s scripted and by design.   And when Mahomes sat and he logged his last catch? It was still a Super Bowl QB throwing to him. 

XL had one target from Jack Plummer.  An undrafted rookie that shouldn’t have even seen the reps he got.

Biggest difference in the two players IMO is the players.  It’s the organizations.  Canales should have gotten him actual opportunities.  That’s on the coach IMO. 

Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Canales has a ton on his plate and is new at this. His OC is new too. 
Could I consider that his priority is acclimating the QB with the new number one, installing the offense, over holding it up for a young guy that they liked enough to move up for, but is raw and also has some hamstring issues? 

Not that worried about it to be honest. 2024, send him on some Russell Wilson jump ball routes and design some things for him and see how it goes.. develop him this year and all offseason, then see. 

I mean he is a rookie. I wouldn't expect a ton unless is he some Nucua type we don't know about. 

Benjamin had a decent rookie year but that was because the other options were Brentin Bersin and Philly Brown. 

It's okay if he is a rotational player his first year while he learns the NFL. 

However, I do expect more from Mingo since he has that year under his belt now. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

There's no real critique to have yet either way.

After scoping things out --

Initial snaps yesterday were Dionte (X), Thielen (Slot), Mingo (Flanker), & Sanders (In-Line/Flex TE), Chubba (RB)

Matthews & Sanders in 12 personnel w/Dionte & Thielen.

We brought in XL in a condensed set +motion with Dionte.  I imagine that's similar to the script we'll see early on in the year.  (4th down completion)

And then had XL at the X with Dionte at Flanker, Thielen slot, Sanders inline for the big Thielen completion.  That was a nice play design.  More spread gun. 

Seems like our primary 11 personnel is:

Diontae (X), Mingo (Flanker), Thielen (Slot)

12 personnel (w/Tremble out):

WR: Diontae & Thielen (Sometimes XL if we need speed), TE: Sanders & Matthews

Condensed (or) Spread Pistol and Gun Packages:

If 3 WRs, XL is in Mingo out.  Diontae & XL rotating spots.

If 4+, XL looks more slot/presnap motion type.  

Some decent potential in the offense.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

There's no real critique to have yet either way.

After scoping things out --

Initial snaps yesterday were Dionte (X), Thielen (Slot), Mingo (Flanker), & Sanders (In-Line/Flex TE), Chubba (RB)

Matthews & Sanders in 12 personnel w/Dionte & Thielen.

We brought in XL in a condensed set +motion with Dionte.  I imagine that's similar to the script we'll see early on in the year.  (4th down completion)

And then had XL at the X with Dionte at Flanker, Thielen slot, Sanders inline for the big Thielen completion.  That was a nice play design.  More spread gun. 

Seems like our primary 11 personnel is:

Diontae (X), Mingo (Flanker), Thielen (Slot)

12 personnel (w/Tremble out):

WR: Diontae & Thielen (Sometimes XL if we need speed), TE: Sanders & Matthews

Condensed (or) Spread Pistol and Gun Packages:

If 3 WRs, XL is in Mingo out.  Diontae & XL rotating spots.

If 4+, XL looks more slot/presnap motion type.  

Some decent potential in the offense.

Do you know the setup on the sack? 

XL has been hurt since August 4th. Before that he tweaked his hamstring. He was just able to get some reps in practice last week. Naturally he isn’t with the 1s yet. So let’s stop with this he isn’t with the ones, the coaches never got him reps with the ones nonsense please. 
I expect him to take Mingo’s spot in the outside and Mingo to start taking snaps from AT in the slot (his natural position) when it’s all said and done. Try to have a little patience. I know it’s hard because we have been bad for a while now.

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

XL has been hurt since August 4th. Before that he tweaked his hamstring. He was just able to get some reps in practice last week. Naturally he isn’t with the 1s yet. So let’s stop with this he isn’t with the ones, the coaches never got him reps with the ones nonsense please. 
I expect him to take Mingo’s spot in the outside and Mingo to start taking snaps from AT in the slot (his natural position) when it’s all said and done. Try to have a little patience. I know it’s hard because we have been bad for a while now.

Zach Galifianakis Gif GIFs | Tenor

Edited by CamWhoaaCam