• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Legette be “red shirted” this year?

hepcat

5 hours ago, CRA said:

Do you know the setup on the sack? 

If it's the right play I'm thinking of, it was Pistol w/2 H-Blockers.

So that's a 12-personnel pistol package -- Had Dionte & Mingo, Matthews & Sanders blocking each side of Bryce.  It was a clean pocket until Branson Deen shed an Icky block with a spin.  Got Bryce a bit jittery even though I think he had space to move left.

11 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

From a historical perspective, its really not. Last year was kind of an exception in that three of the four first round receivers had good years, but more often than not, the first year is a struggle.  

No, it’s not. I’m not going back to long ago days, but I looked at 1st round WRs (not top 5 since another person mentioned that) and the past 5 or 6 drafts prior to this one were pretty clear. If you didn’t pop (not crazy but 700 yards, i.e. real impact) year 1, it was rare that you would. We are in pass central time and a time where WRs are coming out of college ready to transition.

Feel free to go look and let me know if I’m wrong because I already posted a complete breakdown in another thread. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

18 hours ago, strato said:

Kind of like if your pocket is full, or empty, that greatly affects your attitude.

Years of empty promises and crap football operations on and off the field do manifest in our psyche. 

If people were just all positive and happy it would be bewildering to me and I would think they either did not have much upstairs, or just weren’t using what they had.

Team proves they have figured things out at least somewhat, people get happier and less negative.

Me personally, I am a perfectionist by nature and a fixer (apparently inherent in my maleness).

I see things that aren’t right. 
I want to fix them. 
Once fixed, I look for the next problem, and try to fix that.  
So if they get Bryce fixed, the OL fixed, I’ll probably still be looking for something that needs fixing. Or just improved. 

Doesn’t mean I hate a player or the team or any of that. If I think they need fixing, or cannot be fixed in a reasonable time frame, it is just that.

I guess but this doesn’t impact the fact that players need time to develop. Panthers lack patience and why they have been in constant rebuild. I know people that have worked with Dan Morgan and they rave about him. I’m going to trust these people and give him time to turn over this roster. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, jtm said:

I guess but this doesn’t impact the fact that players need time to develop. Panthers lack patience and why they have been in constant rebuild. I know people that have worked with Dan Morgan and they rave about him. I’m going to trust these "people and give him time to turn over this roster.

I am not complaining about Morgan. I like him so far. I don’t mind waiting for a player to develop Into a starter. This is a year to do that we aren’t winning.  

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

7 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

No, it’s not. I’m not going back to long ago days, but I looked at 1st round WRs (not top 5 since another person mentioned that) and the past 5 or 6 drafts prior to this one were pretty clear. If you didn’t pop (not crazy but 700 yards, i.e. real impact) year 1, it was rare that you would. We are in pass central time and a time where WRs are coming out of college ready to transition.

Feel free to go look and let me know if I’m wrong because I already posted a complete breakdown in another thread. 

You are correct, I looked at the last decade a few months ago and the change in trend was very clear.

• Beer 1

On 8/24/2024 at 6:24 PM, hepcat said:

Legette has been having a slow start to his rookie year. He’s probably 4th or 5th on the depth chart at this point and didn’t really make an impact in the preseason or training camp. 

I have a feeling the Panthers might try to open up a roster spot for a special teams player like ISM or David Moore by stashing Legette on IR with a mysterious practice injury to start his rookie year while he has more time to adjust to the pro game. Legette had limited play time in college and probably isn’t quite ready to compete at the pro level.

They passed on more pro ready WRs to pick Legette so they have to eat this one until he’s ready. 

sounds like the panther way. remember when everyone was clamouring for more receivers in the offseason? this is what happens. a pick you trade up for shouldn't be sitting on the bench-+

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

From a historical perspective, its really not. Last year was kind of an exception in that three of the four first round receivers had good years, but more often than not, the first year is a struggle.  

I’ll respectfully disagree to the point rookie receivers struggle more these days. I’d say that’s absolutely not the case anymore, and has been this way for a minute with modern offenses.

The last handful drafts have been fire with impact rookie WRs making impacts left and right, all over the map and quickly. Chase, Lamb, JJ, Waddle, Puka, St Brown, Olave, Dell, JSN, Nico, Reed, Watson, Devonta, G Wilson, London, Higgins, Pittman, Addison, Doubs, Douglas, Pickens, Aiyuk, there’s been impactful guys coming in with swift, high snap count roles in just a few years time.

This is separate from the XL talk, he’s got great potential, but he’s more in the DK or Deebo framework needing a bit of refinement to nail down his forte. Those guys still find their way as well. 

The crazy thing was that last year was the draft many claimed was WR starved and it was historic production wise.

What is this nonsense? People are talking about how behind he is and he is giving them bust vibes. And you wonder why people call us the most miserable fanbase in the league. Kid was basically begging to get some preseason run last week. Quit trying to find a reason to be overtly negative! Preseason means very fooking little to a team's seasonal success! The kid has five years to flame out and assholes  commenting because another team had a player look better because he played with a better backup QB know zero about football. I used to wonder why Mr. Scot was so revered on here and now I know it was because he was basically competent in his football knowledge and that was intimidating to a bunch of people who knew jackshite to nothing about the nuances of the game. 

1. The kid got a few snaps the entire preseason.

2. Maybe a couple of those were with a competent QB.

3. It is okay if he is coming on, being brought along slowly. He is not going to be our #1 from gate.

4. He was a late bloomer at SC because they didn't have a decent QB until Rattler showed up.

5. Seriously, this negative, knee-jerk, preseason reaction crap is getting old and making the board unbearable! 

2 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

What is this nonsense? People are talking about how behind he is and he is giving them bust vibes. And you wonder why people call us the most miserable fanbase in the league. Kid was basically begging to get some preseason run last week. Quit trying to find a reason to be overtly negative! Preseason means very fooking little to a team's seasonal success! The kid has five years to flame out and assholes  commenting because another team had a player look better because he played with a better backup QB know zero about football. I used to wonder why Mr. Scot was so revered on here and now I know it was because he was basically competent in his football knowledge and that was intimidating to a bunch of people who knew jackshite to nothing about the nuances of the game. 

1. The kid got a few snaps the entire preseason.

2. Maybe a couple of those were with a competent QB.

3. It is okay if he is coming on, being brought along slowly. He is not going to be our #1 from gate.

4. He was a late bloomer at SC because they didn't have a decent QB until Rattler showed up.

5. Seriously, this negative, knee-jerk, preseason reaction crap is getting old and making the board unbearable! 

Relax man, it’s just true. A 23 year old rookie should be more ready not a late bloomer. It’s an absolute fact that colleges are producing right away impact WRs now.

He really needs to show out this year. Even if it’s the second half. If he doesn’t do much this year, it’s not likely that he’ll amount to much as a 24-25 year old in year 2/3. It’s a harsh truth that first round WRs develop fast or don’t develop at all with just a few exceptions.

Also, no disrespect to Mr. Scot, but he’s been way off quite a bit lately. He got so hung up on Rhule that he was a big fan of Fitterer and giving him more time and absolutely loved the Reich and co hiring. There are some negative Nellie’s in here, I’ll admit that, but most of us want to have a good team again and we don’t just defer to our draft picks are future studs. Our drafting has been terrible for years so when a bunch of other rookie WRs are getting positive news and our guy has done very little, drops the one pass he gets and seemingly can’t beat out TMJ and Mingo, it’s not surprising that we are worried and it’s really not preseason knee jerk reactions. It feels like every year since 2018, the same excuses for draft picks, outside of a few of Marty 1st round picks, are being made.

What you posted is identical to what we read about last year with Mingo and the past few years of TMJ.

49 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Relax man, it’s just true. A 23 year old rookie should be more ready not a late bloomer. It’s an absolute fact that colleges are producing right away impact WRs now.

He really needs to show out this year. Even if it’s the second half. If he doesn’t do much this year, it’s not likely that he’ll amount to much as a 24-25 year old in year 2/3. It’s a harsh truth that first round WRs develop fast or don’t develop at all with just a few exceptions.

Also, no disrespect to Mr. Scot, but he’s been way off quite a bit lately. He got so hung up on Rhule that he was a big fan of Fitterer and giving him more time and absolutely loved the Reich and co hiring. There are some negative Nellie’s in here, I’ll admit that, but most of us want to have a good team again and we don’t just defer to our draft picks are future studs. Our drafting has been terrible for years so when a bunch of other rookie WRs are getting positive news and our guy has done very little, drops the one pass he gets and seemingly can’t beat out TMJ and Mingo, it’s not surprising that we are worried and it’s really not preseason knee jerk reactions. It feels like every year since 2018, the same excuses for draft picks, outside of a few of Marty 1st round picks, are being made.

What you posted is identical to what we read about last year with Mingo and the past few years of TMJ.

Well, I expected some relax, its not that serious posts. First some players bloom later. Look at James Harrison and Cameron Wake. Secondly, did you see the QB room the guy's first few years at SC? Furthermore, I get the drafting negativity as the Rhule/Fitterer years left this team so devoid of talent it was scary. People aren't willing to even give Morgan a shot, much like John Lynch who was a broadcaster before becoming the architect of the San Francisco juggernaut. The guy knows football players, he just has the stink of Fitterer on him. Lastly, you saying my post is identical to Mingo and TMJ is exactly my point. There weren't a bunch of people basically alluding to them as busts after preseason last year or TMJ's rookie year. That is lame to do so after training camp and three preseason games, two of which the guy didn't even play. 

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Well, I expected some relax, its not that serious posts. First some players bloom later. Look at James Harrison and Cameron Wake. Secondly, did you see the QB room the guy's first few years at SC? Furthermore, I get the drafting negativity as the Rhule/Fitterer years left this team so devoid of talent it was scary. People aren't willing to even give Morgan a shot, much like John Lynch who was a broadcaster before becoming the architect of the San Francisco juggernaut. The guy knows football players, he just has the stink of Fitterer on him. Lastly, you saying my post is identical to Mingo and TMJ is exactly my point. There weren't a bunch of people basically alluding to them as busts after preseason last year or TMJ's rookie year. That is lame to do so after training camp and three preseason games, two of which the guy didn't even play. 

bust vibes before week one is outright insane, i agree with you there, and it screams not being around the game long--Steve Smith caught 10 passes his rookie year. this board/fanbase is not currently in the business of caring about rationality or patience

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, backINblack28 said:

bust vibes before week one is outright insane, i agree with you there, and it screams not being around the game long--Steve Smith caught 10 passes his rookie year. this board/fanbase is not currently in the business of caring about rationality or patience

7 years is patient enough I'd say.

18 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

The same worries were around with TMJ and Mingo and the 3 players just brought up as slow developers are 42, 45 and 46 years old. Rookie WRs have been shining or not shining year 1 for 5-10 years now.

Believe me, we want Leggette to shine this year, otherwise he has to be a big exception to not be a bust.

On 8/25/2024 at 1:18 PM, CRA said:

XL had one target from Jack Plummer.

And it was a bit behind him, too. He should've caught it, but it was behind him a bit. If Young threw it, I doubt it'd be considered a drop on here. Probably a bad throw.