• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The WR position - what 6 do we keep

Let's be honest. Whether Bryce Young does or does not have a bounce back season it won't be because of Adam Thielen.

I still can't believe people talk him up bc he got 1k yards in the worst offense in the entire league. You guys want to watch us force him passes again? No thanks. Cut him now or trade him later doesn't matter he has no future here and we should not take snaps away from any of the younger wideouts in need of development just because we overpaid Thielen.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

15 minutes ago, frankw said:

Let's be honest. Whether Bryce Young does or does not have a bounce back season it won't be because of Adam Thielen.

I still can't believe people talk him up bc he got 1k yards in the worst offense in the entire league. You guys want to watch us force him passes again? No thanks. Cut him now or trade him later doesn't matter he has no future here and we should not take snaps away from any of the younger wideouts in need of development just because we overpaid Thielen.

$8M dead cap to cut him, around $1m in savings. Basically the opposite if we trade him. Pretty much every playoff caliber team aside from the Bills has the $8M to spare if they're desperate for a solid possession wr

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, frankw said:

Weird take. AT was good last year and until he falls off the cliff (which I admit, can happen anytime at his age) we should keep him on the team. We didn’t over pay him at all, not sure where you’re getting that from, he’s getting 8.3M per year. That’s minuscule for WR contracts. Having a WR who understands how to find a spot in a zone consistently is a big thing. He’s no game breaker or HR threat but he doesn’t need to be we drafted 2 others past 2 years to do that. 

15 minutes ago, frankw said:

I see Thielen filling a role similar to that of Ricky Proehl.

DJ would be comparable to Smitty, while Legette could be seen as our version of Muhsin Muhammad.

Thielen was our main threat last year; sometimes the plays were specifically designed for him, and he still managed to rack up 1,000 yards despite the defense focusing on him.

Thielen has the potential to keep the defense honest, which should create more opportunities for other players, especially Diontae Johnson, who has a knack for finding space.

Right now, having veteran receivers like Thielen, who know how to get open, is a significant advantage for Young. Thielen can mentor the younger players and show them how it’s done.

ISM could very well be Smitty lite also, learning from these two, he has that nastiness about him. 

I would cut Jamison to be honest to save a roster spot for offense, and I know we thin at DB but the potential in Coker vs a DB who constantly gets beat vs someone who can actually take the top off the defense is a differences for me at this stage.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Weird take. AT was good last year and until he falls off the cliff (which I admit, can happen anytime at his age) we should keep him on the team. We didn’t over pay him at all, not sure where you’re getting that from, he’s getting 8.3M per year. That’s minuscule for WR contracts. Having a WR who understands how to find a spot in a zone consistently is a big thing. He’s no game breaker or HR threat but he doesn’t need to be we drafted 2 others past 2 years to do that. 

He wasn’t actually good.  He had volume.  He was the best of a bad group.  But overall, his production was meh…and he limits the ceiling of the O given he occupies Bryce’s go to spots/routes. 

we need him on the team because we got no leadership.  But they need to reallocate the slot the slot reps.  Need to work the young guys into it some IMO

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

I think AT gets cut -

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/13071/adam-thielen

I don t see Johnson coming back. Just WR market is as crazy as its been, some team will drop him a bag even with a so-so season. I think he flirts with 1K and few TDs. 

Honestly its looking like WR is back on the early draft menu. Edge should be #1, if young........

you are leftd with this in 2025

mingo

xl

2025 second rounder

FA

Coker?

????

looks messy if xl or mingo doesn't develop FAST!!

AT getting cut is a bold prediction.  I do not think he will, but keeping a 34-year old WR when you are rebuilding is questionable--I like the bold thinking though--gives me another possibility to explore.

Johnson has a good year, he leaves for $$$.  He has a bad year, the Panthers have a bad year and he leaves. 

What you describe is why you don't keep Moore, imo. 

Legette is a big question mark---fingers crossed.

Mingo?  Need to get it going.  I am about 50% on him.

So we are in a big hole if we have to go into 2025 with two potential busts and maybe Smith Marsette, who is about as good as he is going to ever get.

We gotta grab a cut WR and make sure we hang on to Coker somehow--PS?  Maybe.  We can protect him each week.

• Beer 1

I will say this:  If AT gets 1000 this year, we win 2 games again. That means the show ponies are not getting their targets.  Cutting him is a bold move, but as Frank and Basbear suggest, it could be the smart long play.  Interesting.  I do not see it because I have not given it enough thought.   But keeping vets around at the end of their careers when you are building does prevent young player development.  Still, I think he makes the team and rotates--he is under contract through 2025 and he does not rely on speed any longer (ran a 4.48 as a rookie, I believe). 

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

He wasn’t actually good.  He had volume.  He was the best of a bad group.  But overall, his production was meh…and he limits the ceiling of the O given he occupies Bryce’s go to spots/routes. 

we need him on the team because we got no leadership.  But they need to reallocate the slot the slot reps.  Need to work the young guys into it some IMO

He was good. 1000 yards, 9.8 per. Not great by any means, but good. That has a place on this team. 100% agree other guys need touches, I think AT is closer around 700 yards this season on 60 catches which is a better role for him now and gives other guys opportunities. 

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

AT getting cut is a bold prediction.  I do not think he will, but keeping a 34-year old WR when you are rebuilding is questionable--I like the bold thinking though--gives me another possibility to explore.

Johnson has a good year, he leaves for $$$.  He has a bad year, the Panthers have a bad year and he leaves. 

What you describe is why you don't keep Moore, imo. 

Legette is a big question mark---fingers crossed.

Mingo?  Need to get it going.  I am about 50% on him.

So we are in a big hole if we have to go into 2025 with two potential busts and maybe Smith Marsette, who is about as good as he is going to ever get.

We gotta grab a cut WR and make sure we hang on to Coker somehow--PS?  Maybe.  We can protect him each week.

I was typing in 2025 regards about AT. In that post of yours, you were discussing the future 2025 WR room. I posted that sportac link and there's a out where its only 5mill dead and 8mill cap. So you save 3mill(not if you include his replacement...). This year based on his contract, you almost must keep him and if some team calls during the trade deadline.....take whatever the offer is....

Mostly roster building is now a constant rebuild, the WR room will need action here. Just the 39th in 22, 32nd in 23, and what another 35th in 24.......someone please step up!!

ps, check out the the new IR rules. I posted a new thread here, you are able to place 2 players on IR after the final PS game and final cut. In past you had to keep them one day on the roster before. I fill panthers will take advance of this new rule to the max this year. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I was typing in 2025 regards about AT. In that post of yours, you were discussing the future 2025 WR room. I posted that sportac link and there's a out where its only 5mill dead and 8mill cap. So you save 3mill(not if you include his replacement...). This year based on his contract, you almost must keep him and if some team calls during the trade deadline.....take whatever the offer is....

Mostly roster building is now a constant rebuild, the WR room will need action here. Just the 39th in 22, 32nd in 23, and what another 35th in 24.......someone please step up!!

ps, check out the the new IR rules. I posted a new thread here, you are able to place 2 players on IR after the final PS game and final cut. In past you had to keep them one day on the roster before. I fill panthers will take advance of this new rule to the max this year. 

I think IR is required for 4 weeks, so I expect Brooks and Barno maybe? 

Thanks for the clarification.  I agree with you about AT.  We are going to have to grab some WRs

18 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Overpaid in the sense that he is too costly to cut at this moment even at the expense of the development of our young receivers.

Your definition of good clearly varies from other people. That's perfectly fine. Though to be clear I don't see anything "weird" about it as you dismissively put it toward others for whatever reason.

Let's break it down.

Thielen is 34 years old.

He was 10th in receptions and 14th in targets last year. Yet he was 48th in YAC and just barely eclipsed 1k yards.

We finished with the worst passing offense in the entire league and one of the worst passing offenses of the last 20 years.

Idk why you're so intent on going out on a limb for his production like it was anything other than mediocre.

If Dave Canales is worth his salt as the coach we hired him to be then his first season with the job should not hinge on Adam Thielen who won't be here next season anyways.

P.S. I get the sense the biggest reason you're going to the mat for this guy is bc he was Bryce's favorite target last year. That's cute. Here's a hint. If Bryce is going to develop into a franchise QB he has to do so outside of his comfort zone. Spreading the ball around is the first step.

I am going to guess that the QB feels like AT is his security blanket. So he stays around. 
I’d do it according the other factors… let him go chase a ring as a backup…. something like that.  

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think IR is required for 4 weeks, so I expect Brooks and Barno maybe? 

Thanks for the clarification.  I agree with you about AT.  We are going to have to grab some WRs

They are on different listing- Brano is "Active/Physically Unable to Perform"

Brooks is "Active/Non-Football Injury"

I honestly don't know the details about either. In past years if you begun the off-season on PUP and seasons start and you're still on "PUP" you are six weeks away from practice. 

Then like the IR, you enter the "active" period and have 21 days to be ready for the team. If you do not get on a roster, you revert back to IR/PUP. 

Brooks maybe the pick for this new rule.

I know it feels they will for sure list Dane Jackson on IR pre-season to return. 

NFL went from never changing rules to non-stop tweaks and total new ones. I honestly just learnt about the new IR ones and don't know how that applies to PUP.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

$8M dead cap to cut him, around $1m in savings. Basically the opposite if we trade him. Pretty much every playoff caliber team aside from the Bills has the $8M to spare if they're desperate for a solid possession wr

If you wait until the deadline the contract will be around 4 million and more teams are able to take that on for a playoff push.