• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The WR position - what 6 do we keep

The thing about WR is this:  We really need to make decisions based on 2025.  Johnson has a 1 year deal.  Thielen is under contract through 2025, but he will be 35---can he do it?   Legette has proven nothing; same for Mingo.   So we must consider the possibility that we will have multiple needs at WR next year.

I would like to suggest that we keep Smith Marsette along with Johnson, Thielen, Legette, and Mingo.  I would not keep Moore or Marshall Jr.  Coker should make the PS and we can protect 4 players all season, so he can develop with a real shot to be a factor in 2025.  I would pick up a smaller, YAC slot WR on Tuesday night.

It is tough, but if we do as I suggest, we would have 2 WRs to play the slot in 2025 (Thielen and the waiver wire WR), Coker, Legette, and MAYBE Johnson for 2025.  Mingo is 50/50, imo.  A lot has to happen for WR not to be a huge need in 2025, but we need to focus on the best OLB in the draft (assuming QB is set).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The thing about WR is this:  We really need to make decisions based on 2025.  Johnson has a 1 year deal.  Thielen is under contract through 2025, but he will be 35---can he do it?   Legette has proven nothing; same for Mingo.   So we must consider the possibility that we will have multiple needs at WR next year.

I would like to suggest that we keep Smith Marsette along with Johnson, Thielen, Legette, and Mingo.  I would not keep Moore or Marshall Jr.  Coker should make the PS and we can protect 4 players all season, so he can develop with a real shot to be a factor in 2025.  I would pick up a smaller, YAC slot WR on Tuesday night.

It is tough, but if we do as I suggest, we would have 2 WRs to play the slot in 2025 (Thielen and the waiver wire WR), Coker, Legette, and MAYBE Johnson for 2025.  Mingo is 50/50, imo.  A lot has to happen for WR not to be a huge need in 2025, but we need to focus on the best OLB in the draft (assuming QB is set).

I think AT gets cut -

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/13071/adam-thielen

I don t see Johnson coming back. Just WR market is as crazy as its been, some team will drop him a bag even with a so-so season. I think he flirts with 1K and few TDs. 

Honestly its looking like WR is back on the early draft menu. Edge should be #1, if young........

you are leftd with this in 2025

mingo

xl

2025 second rounder

FA

Coker?

????

looks messy if xl or mingo doesn't develop FAST!!

• Beer 1

For 8.4 mil , if Theilen can even be a WR3 I’d rather keep him in 2025. Would give Mingo and XL one more year to develop and not need to use next year early pick on WR. If he looks decent maybe he could fetch a day 3 pick Aswell. But I don’t like the idea of him walking. Even just for 3rd downs and leadership on a young team he could be worth the price. 

18 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

WIDE RECEIVER (7, 13)

Diontae Johnson, Adam Thielen, Jonathan Mingo, Xavier Legette, Terrace Marshall Jr., David Moore, Jalen Coker

I don't know if its the homer in me or what. I thought the Panthers would claim around 5 players and going over the roster.......I see about 3 guys that....most likely to get cut and claimed by another team. Where's the room???

OLB is the hole, is leota better than what's hitting the wavier?? He was a claim last year.

Hate away, the OL feels as strong as its been since 2015*health is needed and what can yoshi do??

I think Brady Christensen is only panthers backup that would start on a few teams.

Carry on....

3 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

For 8.4 mil , if Theilen can even be a WR3 I’d rather keep him in 2025. Would give Mingo and XL one more year to develop and not need to use next year early pick on WR. If he looks decent maybe he could fetch a day 3 pick Aswell. But I don’t like the idea of him walking. Even just for 3rd downs and leadership on a young team he could be worth the price. 

He's simply too slow, age already pulling on his ankles. If you still want to keep him around, give him some BS coaching title and let him coach up the WRs. It already feels 2025 the 1st or 2nd will be spent on WR.......

6 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Theilen could fall off a cliff overnight.  He's around that age.  He might be decent trade bait towards the deadline.

He's knows the defense holes and he just sits in them or runs a old man slant, *still very well. 

I'd say its time to move on sooner than later. 

Honestly if not for cap hit, Id say cut him now....... (that's the heartless GM side.)

Panthers should do better than 35 year old 5.09 40 dude with a 8mill cap hit. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

He's knows the defense holes and he just sits in them or runs a old man slant, *still very well. 

I'd say its time to move on sooner than later. 

Honestly if not for cap hit, Id say cut him now....... (that's the heartless GM side.)

Panthers should do better than 35 year old 5.09 40 dude with a 8mill cap hit. 

No reason to cut him now.  We have no idea what we have at WR beyond him.  We're just hoping that these guys can figure it out.  If we see some strides from Mingo or XL, I'm cool with offloading him.  But let's not leave Bryce on his own after what happened last year.  Just my opinion on it.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

He's simply too slow, age already pulling on his ankles. If you still want to keep him around, give him some BS coaching title and let him coach up the WRs. It already feels 2025 the 1st or 2nd will be spent on WR.......

I can see that if Mingo and Legette don’t step forward. Hoping they will though.  Also if can’t retain Johnson would love to see Godwin. Cut Sanders, extend Moton 1 yr and restructure, and if Dj Johnson looks serviceable cut Wonnum.  Would free up over 16mil I imagine 

• Pie 1

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

No reason to cut him now.  We have no idea what we have at WR beyond him.  We're just hoping that these guys can figure it out.  If we see some strides from Mingo or XL, I'm cool with offloading him.  But let's not leave Bryce on his own after what happened last year.  Just my opinion on it.

I get that and agree. I just feel this team is a terrible fit for him, ie winning. He had some comments about the past year being the worst and he had to do some soul searching. 

It doesn't make sense form a contract side. 

I've thought of it, but its a total nightmare fuel.....imagine 2023 WITHOUT AT........Panther would have owned some of worst records in history. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

I can see that if Mingo and Legette don’t step forward. Hoping they will though.  Also if can’t retain Johnson would love to see Godwin. Cut Sanders, extend Moton 1 yr and restructure, and if Dj Johnson looks serviceable cut Wonnum.  Would free up over 16mil I imagine 

Don't tell anyone, but I think Moton could be cut as well.....Id cut him if he didn't take a pay cut in 2025. Hes at 30 million cap number and 12 dead....that's 18 saving.....

Sanders is 100% getting cut unless he goes for 2k.

Morgan will have PLENTY to think about in 25, many tough/hard decisions.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/overview/_/year/2025/sort/cap_total

I think he's going to have close to 30 again in dead cap space. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

If anything, if we are obviously sucking by October I'd just trade AT to a playoff contender, let him have a couple of years at a title shot and we'd probably save $15M in cap

• Pie 2